1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry - www.mustanggt.org
Dedicated to the documentation and preservation of
1982-1993 Mustang GT's
since 1994!!
Home | About Us | REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!! | GT Registry Statistics | Info By Year | Reference Gallery
Forums | Classifieds | Interactive Decoders | Production Numbers | GT Articles | Factory Literature | Info Needed | Donations
This message board and web site has been made possible through donations from: List of Contributors THANK YOU!!!!   
1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board  

Welcome to the 1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board!!

We're glad you're here! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view lists of topics, our GT Registry articles & information and access some of our other FREE features. By joining our community, you will have access to read and post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board > General Tech > Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Referrals Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read
Info NEEDED!!REFERENCE GALLERY!!REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!!GT Registry StatsInfo By YearAbout Us

Modifications Changes from the factory stock setup - performance and appearance. What to buy next? What works & what doesn't?

Old 09-09-2009, 12:00 AM   #1
Xinstaller

Default Need an opinion on which way a project should go

So, I purchased an 88 GT T-Top last year with the intention of keeping the car as a cruiser/sleeper. The car needs paint and not too much body work but the floorboards need to be fixed and the engine bay painted also. Thats when a deal on a vortech showed up. So I picked it up. Followed by a deal on a motorsport k frame, control arms and motorsport springs. The motor needs to be freshened up so I was planning to do a 347 and a WC T-5.

So far I thought I had a good plan going for the car until I was told to look at a 91 notch with a 04 4V 4.6V8 (no S/C) and a 6 speed. Yup, I purchased the car with the intention of swapping everything over into the T-top. And now I don't know if I should do the swap or not.

I know that my 88 T-Top is rare because it has a build date of 11/87 and I think Ford stopped offering the T-top option in 04/87. However, the car is not in the original color and it has been hit before so I know I will never get top dollar for it.

Now, I can do the swap and drop the 5.0 motor in the notch and sell it in order to recoup some money or just leave both cars alone and freshen up the 5.0 and drop it in the t-top and decide which car to sell because I don't think my wife would be happy with 2 mustangs right now.

The notch looks nice with the 4.6 in it right now and everybody that looks at it says I should leave the notch alone because the car is 80% ready where the T-Top is about 5% ready. And this is where I am stuck as I have to make a decision soon in order to start the swap or get ready to sell a car. Which way does everyone think I should go? I do have people interested in the suspension and vortech that I have so if I decide to do the swap and sell the notch I should be ok I think.

I hope I didn't confuse anybody but any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks. (I hope I put this in the right forum)
Xinstaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:17 PM   #2
Whtstang

To me a lot would depend on what the car would be used for. Are you looking for a daily driver or weekend toy? Do you plan on mostly street driving with the ocasional trip to the track or vice versa? Which one do you think you would enjoy driving the most?
85 GT Hatch w/AOD: K&N(of course). True dual exhaust w/91 H-Pipe, Hooker Comp Cat-back & Hooker Aerochamber Mufflers. KYB Struts & Shocks, MM LCA's, Polyurethane Bushings in Struts, Rack & Sway bar, Kenny Brown SFC's, MM Strut Tower Brace & Prothane Motor Mounts. AOD Performance rebuild W/ 2200 stall, shift kit, upgraded Direct clutch, upgraded OD w/ 2" wide AODE band, drum & mechanical diode. Cobra/SVO tail light lens's.
Carbed 306 or Stroker rebuild in the planning stages.

2007 Civic EX Coupe (30+ mpg commuter car, stock [for now] )
Whtstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:03 PM   #3
Xinstaller

Thanks for the reply. It is mainly going to be a weekend toy. Something to go to a couple of car shows and possibly mustangs across america. It will mainly be a street car with maybe a trip to the track once in a while. But I do prefer a handling car versus a car set up for drag.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:13 PM   #4
purgeofdarkness

well.... the t-top would be a very nice car to own. where you located cause i could give that car a good home if the price is right... but it really comes down to do you really want to go super fast or do you just want to go fast and look good? cause if you want to go super fast get the notch, if you want to look good while your doing it then keep the t-top. if you want to do both calculate how much it's gonna cost to get each one where you want and keep the cheaper one. if your impartial to price then just flip a coin.
purgeofdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:12 PM   #5
Xinstaller

I am in NJ. The more I think about it and the cost involved with doing the swap I think I should just have the 5.0 stroked to a 331, install the vortech and make some money on the notch. I do like the "wow" factor of having the 4.6 in the engine bay of a fox body and without the factory supercharger, it looks real clean and custom. I will try to take some pics tomorrow and post or e-mail if anybody is interested in looking at the notch. Thanks again everybody for your input. I am leaning towards the t-top at this point but who knows what will change my mind tomorrow...
Old 09-20-2009, 10:01 AM   #6
88gtconvert
2010 Donating Member

Personally I prefer the notchback...and it sounds like a cool custom. As a general rule, customizing never returns the investment - so keep the one you really want.

I would love to see pictures! How much would you be looking for with the notchback? I have a friend who keeps claiming he wants one...
Steeda Short Throw Shifter and Clutch linkage, King Cobra clutch
FMS 3.73 rear, FMS 5-lug rear axles, SN/95 spindles with Cobra FDBs
LRS 2" specific rate lowering springs
Kenny Brown strut tower brace and welded in sub-frame connectors.
1999 VW Beetle TDI 50mpg gas-saving hoopdie
2009 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI-best mileage to date: 55.4mpg
88gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:28 PM   #7
Xinstaller

Thanks for all the input. I have been real busy and haven't been visiting the boards as much however I have decided on what I am going to do. I am going to list the notch for sale, as is, with the 4valve motor. In the mean time, I am going to start on the engine bay and body work. Once I am ready for the motor, if the notch has not sold I will do the motor swap. If the notch sells by the time I am ready for the motor, then I will do a 331/347 with the vortech I was selling locally. Now the only thing I am debating is if i should do a cobra kit or just go with the factory gt kit. Being that I am new to these boards, is there a lot of interest in modified mustangs/project cars here?
Old 10-08-2009, 10:21 AM   #8
88gtconvert
2010 Donating Member

Let us know what you are asking for the notch - no promises, but I know several people who may be interested...
Steeda Short Throw Shifter and Clutch linkage, King Cobra clutch
FMS 3.73 rear, FMS 5-lug rear axles, SN/95 spindles with Cobra FDBs
LRS 2" specific rate lowering springs
Kenny Brown strut tower brace and welded in sub-frame connectors.
1999 VW Beetle TDI 50mpg gas-saving hoopdie
2009 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI-best mileage to date: 55.4mpg
88gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:51 AM   #9
MustangGTorg-David
GT Registry Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinstaller
Now the only thing I am debating is if i should do a cobra kit or just go with the factory gt kit. Being that I am new to these boards, is there a lot of interest in modified mustangs/project cars here?
Welcome Sounds like you are off to a good start. You will find both stock and project cars here. We dont care what you have as long as you like the cars

Keep up updated on the progress.....we LOVE pics

(Me, I like to see the GT's be GT's.)

1965 Mustang Coupe
1991 Mustang GT Hatchback
1991 Mustang GT Hatchback (given to youngest daughter)
1991 Mustang GT convert (sold to ???)
1992 Mustang GT Hatchback (given to oldest daughter)
MustangGTorg-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:40 PM   #10
Xinstaller

Hopefully the car will get some work started next week. Right now I am having a hard time deciding what color to paint the car. The factory color is deep shadow blue metallic but I don't think that color does justice to a t-top car (and the car is currently yellow). I am leaning towards some type of silver metallic or a silver pearl. Not sure though. The painter is avoiding me on color suggestions because he wants me to decide what color I want. He has done a couple of mustangs over the years and I know that he knows which color combos will look good on a fox body. I know 1 mustang he did for the shop has been in MM&FF and maybe 2 others previously from another shop.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:26 PM   #11
Xinstaller

Well, looks like I will be going with the T-top. Unfortunately there was a lot more rust then expected. And the car was involved in an accident at some point in time but the repair was not done correctly and I wouldn't sell the car in the condition it was in to somebody else. I will try to take some pic's of the car before work starts but no guarantee. I have a shop working on it and I can't get there everyday. The notch will be posted for sale soon. Thanks again everyone
Old 03-12-2010, 09:33 PM   #12
Whtstang

Good deal! I would have gone with the t-top/hatch also. I'm very much partial to the hatches & the V8. Looking forward to pics of the project.
85 GT Hatch w/AOD: K&N(of course). True dual exhaust w/91 H-Pipe, Hooker Comp Cat-back & Hooker Aerochamber Mufflers. KYB Struts & Shocks, MM LCA's, Polyurethane Bushings in Struts, Rack & Sway bar, Kenny Brown SFC's, MM Strut Tower Brace & Prothane Motor Mounts. AOD Performance rebuild W/ 2200 stall, shift kit, upgraded Direct clutch, upgraded OD w/ 2" wide AODE band, drum & mechanical diode. Cobra/SVO tail light lens's.
Carbed 306 or Stroker rebuild in the planning stages.

2007 Civic EX Coupe (30+ mpg commuter car, stock [for now] )
Whtstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:34 PM   #13
Xinstaller

Well, this is what I am dealing with so far.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:37 PM   #14
Xinstaller

2 more questions, 1st, are the image sizes too big? I thought the hosting site resized them for forum usage and 2nd, should I start a different thread as I have decide which route I am going? If so, what section would you guys recommend. Thanks again
Old 03-12-2010, 11:34 PM   #15
Chris-90LX
Ambassador
2010 Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinstaller
2 more questions, 1st, are the image sizes too big? I thought the hosting site resized them for forum usage and 2nd, should I start a different thread as I have decide which route I am going? If so, what section would you guys recommend. Thanks again
Just keep it going.

Most people aren't using dial-up for Internet access anymore. You could make them a little smaller, but generation time isn't what it once was.
Chris-90LX is offline   Reply With Quote