1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry - www.mustanggt.org
Dedicated to the documentation and preservation of
1982-1993 Mustang GT's
since 1994!!
Home | About Us | REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!! | GT Registry Statistics | Info By Year | Reference Gallery
Forums | Classifieds | Interactive Decoders | Production Numbers | GT Articles | Factory Literature | Info Needed | Donations
This message board and web site has been made possible through donations from: List of Contributors THANK YOU!!!!   
1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board  

Welcome to the 1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board!!

We're glad you're here! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view lists of topics, our GT Registry articles & information and access some of our other FREE features. By joining our community, you will have access to read and post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board > General Tech > Maintenance, Troubleshooting and Diagnosis
Register FAQ Members List Referrals Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read
Info NEEDED!!REFERENCE GALLERY!!REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!!GT Registry StatsInfo By YearAbout Us

Maintenance, Troubleshooting and Diagnosis Need help? Having troubles with your GT? Need some maintenance tips? Ask your questions here.

Old 05-18-2006, 06:30 PM   #1
Capri GT

Default Understanding the Acronyms

In response to the acronym suggestion I decided to start a thread about acronyms we run across while trying to diagnose our cars. We should probably limit them to the ones that apply to the cars falling under the scope of the site. Lets try to keep this on topic and avoid any unneccesary banter.

I'll list a few and hopefully some of the gurus can explain what they stand for. (in a language we can all understand)

S.E.F.I.

EEC-IV

AOD

TAB

TAD

AC

TPS

HEGO

VSS

TFI

MAP

MAF

SD
Capri GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:49 PM   #2
Whtstang

Default Sefi

I'll start the ball rolling with the first one.

SEquential Fuel Injection: A mulipoint fuel delivery system where a fuel injector delivers fuel to one cylinder at a time in sequence with the firing order.
85 GT Hatch w/AOD: K&N(of course). True dual exhaust w/91 H-Pipe, Hooker Comp Cat-back & Hooker Aerochamber Mufflers. KYB Struts & Shocks, MM LCA's, Polyurethane Bushings in Struts, Rack & Sway bar, Kenny Brown SFC's, MM Strut Tower Brace & Prothane Motor Mounts. AOD Performance rebuild W/ 2200 stall, shift kit, upgraded Direct clutch, upgraded OD w/ 2" wide AODE band, drum & mechanical diode. Cobra/SVO tail light lens's.
Carbed 306 or Stroker rebuild in the planning stages.

2007 Civic EX Coupe (30+ mpg commuter car, stock [for now] )

Last edited by Whtstang; 05-18-2006 at 08:52 PM..
Whtstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 10:25 PM   #3
slickshift

EEC-IV
Electronic Engine Control - Fourth Generation
Ford's name for their electronic engine control
IV or Fourth generation first appeared in 1983
Accessory Reserve Load Springs...Whooo Hooo!
The Last Four Eye
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 08:08 AM   #4
88gtconvert
2010 Donating Member

Oo - oo, I can take the next one!

AOD = Automatic OverDrive

Ford's three speed automatic transmission with an overdrive working as a fourth speed...
Steeda Short Throw Shifter and Clutch linkage, King Cobra clutch
FMS 3.73 rear, FMS 5-lug rear axles, SN/95 spindles with Cobra FDBs
LRS 2" specific rate lowering springs
Kenny Brown strut tower brace and welded in sub-frame connectors.
1999 VW Beetle TDI 50mpg gas-saving hoopdie
2009 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI-best mileage to date: 55.4mpg
88gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 11:13 AM   #5
KS 82 GT
Ambassador

It's not on the list, but since the last one was a transmission, I'll do another:

SROD: Single Rail OverDrive

It's the four-speed transmission found in '82 GT's as well as the early '83's. Fourth is an overdrive and there is a large gap in the gearing between second and third which makes speeds around 30-40 MPH difficult to get the right gear. It really isn't up to heavy duty applications as many people found out with the HO motor, especially when racing them. Ford changed over to the T-5 in December '82, which probably shows how bad it was. The bellhousing on these are sought after since it's a direct bolt on for use with a Tremac transmission.

Personally, I think it should stand for Scattered Remains On Driveway (or Dragstrip)
Old 05-19-2006, 01:54 PM   #6
Bossnutt

ooooo my turn

TPS= Throttle Positioning Sensor

I know what it means, but I don't remember EXACTLY what it does. They are in 87-93 mustangs.
Bossnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 02:29 PM   #7
89GT

TAB- Thermactor Air Bypass
TAD- Thermactor Air Diverter - Are solenoids that control the air from the smog pump to either the engine or to the Catylitic Converters which is controlled by the Computer

AC- Air conditioning - Keeps us cool in our Stangs, especially to the lower southern states.
89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 05:00 PM   #8
mmb617

Well I'm a carb guy, but from what I understand:

SD = speed density

MAF = mass air flow

These are two different systems for sensing how much air the engine is using, so that the computer can deliver the appropriate amount of fuel.

Old Fart Drag Racing - If you're not having fun, then you're taking this stuff too seriously.
mmb617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 06:30 PM   #9
Capri GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossnutt
ooooo my turn

TPS= Throttle Positioning Sensor

I know what it means, but I don't remember EXACTLY what it does. They are in 87-93 mustangs.

Throttle position sensor is completely self explanatory. It's a sensor mounted on the TB (throttle body) that senses the positon of the throttle blade
Capri GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 07:50 PM   #10
Whtstang

Since Speed Density has been taken I will try to explain MAP since SD & MAP go together.

[M]anifold [A]bsolute [P]ressure sensor. In SD engines, the MAP sensor measures intake manifold pressure, converts it to a frequency & sends this signal to the computer. The computer uses this information to help determine engine load. Engine load is what determines how much fuel must be metered into each cylinder. The sensor is usually mounted to the firewall or an inner wheel well in order to isolate it from engine vibrations. It has a vacuum line connected to it that comes from the intake manifold.
85 GT Hatch w/AOD: K&N(of course). True dual exhaust w/91 H-Pipe, Hooker Comp Cat-back & Hooker Aerochamber Mufflers. KYB Struts & Shocks, MM LCA's, Polyurethane Bushings in Struts, Rack & Sway bar, Kenny Brown SFC's, MM Strut Tower Brace & Prothane Motor Mounts. AOD Performance rebuild W/ 2200 stall, shift kit, upgraded Direct clutch, upgraded OD w/ 2" wide AODE band, drum & mechanical diode. Cobra/SVO tail light lens's.

Last edited by Whtstang; 05-19-2006 at 07:54 PM..
Old 05-20-2006, 08:20 AM   #11
sts90

Default Hego

I'll chime in;
HEGO: Heated Exhaust Gas Oxygen sensor. Commonly referred to as the Oxygen Sensor.

Steve
sts90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 08:29 AM   #12
Bill_Laird's86GT

TFI= Thick Film Ignition

Distributor mounted module comprised of a custom integrated circuit, Darlington output device and associated thick film integrated components.

If it dies or starts to go out, it will cause driveability problems. Pretty much if it goes, you'll be waiting for it to cool so you can drive the car or wait on the side of the road for a lift.

Bill
Bill_Laird's86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 05:12 PM   #13
Whtstang

PIP: Profile Ignition Pickup.

Located inside the dist bowl. This device lets the computor know which cylinder is next in line to open it's intake valve & also what RPM the engine is turning.

Old 05-21-2006, 07:19 PM   #14
93 LX 5.0

Default Egr

ill list a few

EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculation

VC = Valve Cover

ACV = Air Check Valve

CAI = Cold Air Induction

IAC = Idle Air Control

IAB = Idle Air Bypass
(
]]] _ _ O _ _ [[[ )
|\_o _ ____ __ o_/|
|___|............|___|

91 GT lots of work in slow progress

Last edited by 93 LX 5.0; 05-21-2006 at 07:24 PM..
93 LX 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 06:46 AM   #15
EddieLX

OEM Original Equipment Manufacturer
EddieLX is offline   Reply With Quote