PDA

View Full Version : ***89'GT VS 01'GT****

Andre3417
04-09-2001, 01:30 AM
ok, I've have a 1989 GT mustang with 125,000 miles on it with the following mods, 3.73 gears w/arburn posi, SVO Clutch, PRO-5.0 shifter,Solid steel motor mounts w/polyuerthane tran mount, BBK cold air induction kit w/K&N, Equal lengt headers, off road H-pipe, Flowmasters, underdrive pullies, Low Temp stat, New Shocks & springs/ Tires,(I think thats it) Ohh & my best friend just got a new 01 GT(STOCK). Were soposto go head up when he get back from spring break. Anybody have any good idea on what i should be running in the 1/4 mile?(roughly) I heard those new GTs are pretty quick, but what are there real times on them? Will I stand a chance?

smokedu
04-09-2001, 02:38 PM
I have an 88'GT. Everything stock except for a K&N, and i'm just running cats. Don't overestimate the new GT's. Those things are fast. I heard they do 1/4s from around 13.8 to 14.0. All stock. I was smoked on the highway by a Girl in a 2001 GT. I flew by her at about 80 with the throttle all the way down. I look in my mirror and here comes this girl hauling ***. I let off the throttle probbably at about 100-110. I hate my 85 mph speedo. Another second goes by and she flies by me. I was smoked by the car a was so close to buying. I was gonna buy a 01' GT but my dad wouldn't co-sign. I'm only 17 and it would have been my first car. So, I bought the next best thing which was a very clean, black, AOD, 88' GT with 116,000 on it for 3,200. I bought it from the original owner. An asian guy. Let me know how it goes when you race your friend. You should do a lot better than me cause you have 3.55's and posi. Make sure you post your story.

smokedu
04-09-2001, 02:39 PM
3.73s My Bad. Even better.

89GT
04-09-2001, 02:56 PM
With your mods I think you have a good chance on short distance like 1/4 mile but if on the freeway already moving fast. I think the new 2001 revs higher so it will probably take you out.

Stewart
04-09-2001, 06:02 PM
Andre, I think you stand a good chance at taking him. One factor that could be the difference is the skill of your buddy when it comes to driving.

Don't underestimate the power of your 5.0 either! It may be an "old" pushrod engine, but those Windsor engines can really haul butt, especially when modifications are done to them!

I reeled in and pulled away from a SN95 'vert when I was in Sac last year. I dunno what year his Mustang was, and he did have two other guys in his car with him, but he wasn't able to hold me off...and he tried his best, too!

I'll be waiting for your follow up post!

Stewart

------------------
Platinum90GT
- 25th Anniversary Edition
Blue96 Crown Vic
- Suspension and exhaust mods so far.
Moderator: Stewart's Bawdy Shop at Mustangsandmore (http://www.Mustangsandmore.com)

[This message has been edited by Stewart (edited 04-09-2001).]

Nick
04-12-2001, 12:47 AM
I have an 88 G.t.with 155,000 miles on the factory motor and it is stock except for basanni equal length headers and Flowmaster 2.5 2 chamber cat back. I raced my friend who has one of those "new" fox 4 (99) with a stick and the high speed package. We where neck and neck up till about 140 and he ran out of steam and I blew around him.

[This message has been edited by Nick (edited 04-11-2001).]

Chris-90LX
04-12-2001, 11:50 AM
How are the new cars geared? If they are now making like 260hp, and they have gears from the factory I can see them going a hair faster than the older cars with the highway gears.
What do the newer cars weigh? I saw a test with one turning low 14's in stock trim.
The 1996 cars were real sleds. They were heavy, and the first 4.6 SOHC motors didn't have the low end power or even the high end power to stay with a 302. These '96 to '98 cars were only good for lower 15 second passes even in good hands using a 5 speed.

LSG85GT
04-15-2001, 02:28 AM
My brother has a 99 GT and he has 3.27 gears. From what I have read in the Corral, the newer GT's come with a 3.27 rear end from the factory and are 100 LB lighter than the 96-98 models. I have seen 1/4 mile times from mid 13's to very low 14's in stock form.

------------------
Two Ponies (85GT & 95GTS) and a Bug.

Chris-90LX
04-15-2001, 10:35 AM
Those numbers sound good! Too bad to took Ford like 3 model years to put out a quick SOHC GT. Just for example, a '95 that still had the 302 will sell for more $ than a 1996 or maybe a 1997 at auction due to the lack of performance years of 1996-1998.
The 4.6 Cobras were always quick, but they were way out of my price range. I wouldn't care to have to rebuild one either. Between the 4 cam shafts, 32 valves, and all the other bells & whistles they will always be an expensive rebuild kit.

Toughlou
01-17-2004, 12:19 AM
found this old thread and wanted to start this up again. I have never seen a Mustang after 1995 that was stock appear even close to any pre 1995 mustang around my way. 260 vs 225 horsepower but something is up because the car just isn't all that.

Chris-90LX
01-17-2004, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by Toughlou:
found this old thread and wanted to start this up again.Lou, in a nutshell the first batch of 4.6L SOHC GT's were dogs. When comparing 5 speed cars and looking at 1/4 performance, pre 1994 302 equipped cars were noticeably quicker.

In 1994 the slightly heavier SN95 cars still had the 302 until 1996. The 4.6L SOHC 5 speed cars from 1996 to about 1998 weren’t breaking 15 seconds at the track. It wasn’t until the 1999 model year that the GT finally started making 260 hp and pulling down low 14-second times.

What made the 4.6L motor most crushing was that the usual bolt-ons didn’t produce the results as the 302 did. In the beginning only nitrous oxide or supercharging seemed to showed results.

A guy I know that handled these types of cars had no trouble selling the 1994 and 1995 cars on his lot. The 1996 and 1997 cars just weren’t selling as quickly. As a matter of fact if you pick up a 4.6L GT cheap, something called IP cylinder heads are available. This stands for “Improved performance”.

Most folks bought the SN95 cars for their styling. They are also supposed to be a big improvement as an all around car.

Toughlou
01-17-2004, 05:00 AM
Well is the 4.6 stock better 99 and up then my 88. I don't believe so. If they were they would have more balls to step up to me. Only the cobras do.

Bill_Laird's86GT
01-17-2004, 10:18 AM
Chris, I think the heads on the 96-98 GT's were "Non PI" where the 99+ GT's (like mine) are now "PI". I was told that "PI" stands for Power Improved. The difference between them is that there is a restriction in the way the Non-PI's flow and the PI took car of that. I would admit that the modulars are a little more $ to wake them up. You can't buy a cam to improve the modular, you have to get 2 of them. You cant bump the distributor to get some extra HP, you need to fool out the CPU with a timing adjuster.

The only problems I have at the track are getting out of the hole. My reaction times aren't consistant enough and I need a better exhaust to help out with some of the intake mods that I've gotten done. The ability to tweek them is definitely there and it's not impossible to get one of the 4.6L SOHC n/a to hit low 13's on. Go over to the corral SOHC forums and take a look at what these guys are doing to get them into even lower E.T.'s. I want to get into the 12's down the road but I need to get a different set of gears,(I was quoted $1100.00 and I gotta shop around for a better price than that!)and I definitely need better headers and exhaust. Then after those I'm looking into cams for the heads but I want to do it in stages to see the improvement from what I currently have it running at in my signature.

If I can get it into the mid to low 13's on just motor that would be fantastic for me. I'm pretty sure I'll have to get bigger injectors, and the addition of either a S/C or Turbo would bring me into the 12's for sure in the 1/4mi. But that all takes $$$ so for right now I cruise e-Bay and watch the prices of the add-ons I need.

The new 2005 Mustang is using the same SOHC modular motor but have re-tooled the heads for the addition of another valve and have redone the way the CPU looks at timing and fuel management to get it to the 300HP mark that it's been dyno'd at.

I don't know if Ford will ever go back to a push rod motor for the Mustang down the road but with the impressive gains they have made with the SOHC and the DOHC modulars, I doubt that it will be done anytime soon. They are just starting to get the HP that Mustang owners say should be stock and if they do go back to push rod motors again, it will be worked on while they are pumping out the modulars.

If only we had the lottery here in NC, if we only had the lottery. :(

Bill

roller4v
01-17-2004, 09:57 PM
My understanding is that the 4.6's built from 99 and up are pretty quick. They produce 260 horses and torque I think is 300ish.

These cars from what I understand are stock for stock faster than the 5.0's except for maybe the really lite stripped speed density coupes. It just takes someone that knows how to drive them. They have to rev higher than the 5.0s to get moving.

If the numbers pan out for the 2005 then I would predict they will be much quicker given the 300HP rating.

For now the 5.0's are still the best bang for the buck speed value. It takes very little money comparatively to make a 5.0 mustang very quick. However, over time the 4.6 aftermarket is bound to grow.

Steve