PDA

View Full Version : Cat Deterrant?

FL_Stang
04-03-2001, 11:10 AM
Here is a questions for anyone out there that has had a cat issue with thier car. Is there anything you know of besides just kicking the *******s that will keep cats off your car? Normaly it wouldn't be that big of deal, but I have a convertible, and I keep thinking that if the thing puts its claws out, it will go through my top. So, tow part question.
1. Can they damage my top?
2. Any insight (other than the obviouse build a garage) on how to keep them off the car?

Any help would be appreciated, by me, and my neighbor who could find himself short one cat pretty soon.

Dan the Man
04-03-2001, 01:13 PM
Get a big *** dog, ha, ha! Sorry had to do that.

Seriously though, check with the pet stores maybe you can get something that cats don't like to smell but that us humans can live with.

Topless89GT
04-03-2001, 01:17 PM
Yes they can damage your car. I would go to a pet shop too...or maybe moth balls.....or how about a tarp over the top at night. Typically over $400 for a new top and sometimes more with back window too, so I would spend a few bucks to protect it. Maybe you could help the cat find a new home, 5 miles south of you.

FL_Stang
04-03-2001, 02:52 PM
Yeah, I have heard the mothball thing, may try that. Where do you put them? I don't want that stink to get on my top and stagnate. I am thinking of a supersoaker, or a red rider bb gun!! Teach dem pesky varments a lessin!!! Really, I will check the pet store here, and perhaps do some research on the internet as well. Anyone who has succesfuly solved this problem, or just wants to pick on cats, feel free to keep replying. Darn critters!!

Red85GT
04-03-2001, 05:13 PM
1. Cats do not like the smell of moth balls, but how would you keep them on your top with out them being blown off with a breeze?

2. you can take the cat and find it a new home, like the above post said..

3. you can always antifreeze it, but if you get caught, Big trouble with animal control and the courts..

4.. i think i would go with number two solution, find the cat a new home away from your car...

dtwatts
04-03-2001, 05:15 PM
I have had a similar problem, except the cats in my neighborhood where doing there business in the planter next to my front door(what a lovely smell). So I called the local dog pound (County animal control) and they drooped off a cat trap. It worked great!!!! But I would recommend that you do what we did and let your neighbors know, that they should call the pound if Fluffy disappears.

Chris-90LX
04-03-2001, 05:24 PM
Being a pet owner, and owner of a few cars, I'd opt for the super soaker thing. House cats hate water, and especially when they are hit with it. Besides your top the other thing to look out for is your paint. Sand on their paws will give you that wet sanded look. You always can't get a shot off at then though. Any strong smelling chemical like amonia will also make them back off if you can spray it around without doing damage to anything.

gmstmpr
04-03-2001, 06:40 PM
i had that prob too...i put one of those big mothball type things that comes sonnected to a hanger on my roof in a plastic bag with a bunch of holes in the top...this way it will stink but wont stink up your rag top

fastrnyou
04-03-2001, 06:41 PM
get rid of the cat... antifreeze they love that http://64.21.184.154/ubb/wink.gif

Baywolf
04-03-2001, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by fastrnyou:
get rid of the cat... antifreeze they love that http://64.21.184.154/ubb/wink.gif

with antifreeze you just claim he sucked it out of the car while he was laying there and noone will be the wiser

Red85GT
04-03-2001, 10:33 PM
I would ONLY use the antifreeze as a very last resort, poisioning them with antifreeze is a very slow and a suffering death for any animal.. besides antifreeze kills them threw kidney failure

Joe92GT
04-03-2001, 10:41 PM
I prefer the "soooo much wax they slip off method" myself.

Just kidding. But I have the same problem, only its my cat that does it. He alwayse waits till the night after I wash my car to walk all over it. I don't think there is any real good way... I do tarp it, but when I come home for 5 minutes to pick something up, I walk back outside, and there he is..

He knows I get mad too, becasue as soon as he sees me, he jumps off.

------------------
92 Mustang GT
Mods: World Products Windsor Sr. Heads, B303 cam, GT-40 intake, 70mm throttle body, 75mm mass air, MAC fenderwall induction, long tube headers, high flow cats, MAC catback, tremec 3550, 3.73 gears, auborn locker.Mac upper and lower rear control arms, lowering springs, 12 degrees timing. 250 HP, 294 Ft/lbs at rear wheels
Best time: 13.7 @ 103.1 MPH

Topless88
04-03-2001, 11:05 PM
OK cats...hate them. But killing them may solve a temporary problem but could open a whole new world of problems for you. Have you discussed this with your neighbor? Contact the local pound and you can get a trap for free I believe. If this doesen't correct the problem with your neighbor having to pay to get their cat back then time for a dirt nap rather than abondon the cat in the middle of nowhere. I got a big Dog and now none of my neighbors have cats! He was tied up on my property so nothing could be done. My 2 cents.

fastrnyou
04-03-2001, 11:52 PM
i was kidding on the antifreeze thing. but it is just a cat. Wouldn't recomend it unless its a stray cat.

Try the talk to the neighbor thing first.

but again, its just a cat

Red85GT
04-04-2001, 12:04 AM
I also have cats and FL_stang could just do like i did, i just went and bought me a good car cover, cats didn't like the car cover because it would move around when they jumped on my car so they now stay off my car.. and i do agree it's better that a dirt nap

FL_Stang
04-04-2001, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the help folks, I am going to start with the mothballs and supersoaker and go from there. My neighbor would'nt mind if the cat bit the dust, but his son would, and I would hate to distress a 9 year old unless I really have to. If it gets too bad I can park it in the back with my dogs, but I don't want them running into it either. They are Greyhounds, and get a bit sideways around the corners. Cat's don't enter the back yard though, so it may be a posibility. I think the supersoaker would lend some entertainment value at the very least. Later folks, I think my boss is calling me.

FL_Stang
04-04-2001, 01:47 PM
Well, I have just heard from our local gardener that the place to look would be in the gardening section of most stores. Apparently Cats are big pests to gardens, and there are several types of granulated cat repellant that you just spread in the area, and the best part is they are supposed to last a couple months with each application! Anyone else heard of this stuff? I will go look, keep you posted on my progress!

cobracar
04-04-2001, 04:18 PM
Yes, the granulated repellant is the best idea, as long as you don't mind all the grains in your driveway. It lasts a very long time and cats just hate the smell.

I love cats, and my pet Persian (long, extremely long! white fur, and plenty of it!) always jumps on my car whenever I get home. I don't mind too much since she's declawed and since the car is usually very clean and waxed a fur brush (attracts the fur) waved over the car after her nap on the plastic cowl (her personal heater) takes most of the fur off easily, then the California duster finishes it off. http://64.21.184.154/ubb/smile.gif

This is an indoor car / sometimes in the garage, but if you don't want cats on your car period, just use the granulated repellant. It works. My brother uses it on his truck, and my cat avoids his truck like the plague! She hates the smell.

Jesbo
04-04-2001, 05:32 PM
My cat also loves sitting on my freshly painted car. And you know what? I don't care. He's a pretty big cat, and he attacked my friend when he walked by the car, so I figure he's protecting it. Just squirt the bugger with water, and he probably won't come back.
About that killing the cat thing....
I saw a neighbor smacking my cat with a broom, so I went over, pulled the broom out of his hands and started beating him with it. That guy moved like a week later. I've had my cat for 11 years, and it's more important than my car.

Topless88
04-04-2001, 10:54 PM
My buddy used the super soaker. guess what..when he sprayed the cat out came the claws as the cat was spinning his feet on his fresh paint for traction. He now has factory claw marks on his roof. lol. avoid the soaker go for the granules from what everyone else is saying.

Ken85GT
04-05-2001, 09:41 PM
Put a couple of mouse traps on there under some paper or towels. If he steps on one and sets it off it will scare the sh#t out of him and probably won't be back!

James90mustang
04-05-2001, 10:13 PM
1. .22 pistol
2. paintball gun
3. bb/ pellet gun
4. dart gun
5. shotgun
6. rifle

Im just joking that would be mean i would talk to your neighbor or just take him and drop him off real FAR away.
p.s. flame thrower, etc...