PDA

View Full Version : R-E-S-P-E-C-T

tom83gtconv
05-12-2001, 01:21 AM
We late generation Mustang owners are getting recognized. I live in New York State and tried to get my 83 GT Convertible (#880) registered with vintage plates. These are the plates that were issued to cars in 1983. I happen to find a pristine set of plates in my garage from a vehicle I use to own but can’t recall the circumstances on why I did not turn them in. I was initially turned down by the DMV since they only issue historical or vintage plates to vehicles older than 26 years. I was told by the DMV that they will accept requests for exceptions to this rule if you can provide proof that the vehicle “possess unique characteristics to be of historical, classic or exhibition value”. I sent a package including photos, a rub of the buck tag and various articles and communication to the NYDMV’s Technical Services Bureau proving the car’s authenticity and rareness since only 1001 were made. Within a week I received approval from the DMV approving the vehicle for vintage plates! Watch out-and move over- here we come!

Chris-90LX
05-12-2001, 09:19 AM
That's real good to hear! It just goes to show, when theres a will theres a way.

Maybe other states will wake up someday so more people who have cars under similar situatuions can take advantage of this.

It sounds like you were very thorough!
I didn't know I had a buck tag or where it was until I registered my first GT here.