PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust

FL_Stang
04-27-2001, 03:38 PM
I need to get a new exhaust for the Stang, and was wondering what you folks like best. I know there is a bunch of aftermarket stuff out there, as well as standard stuff. what do you like, and what are the benefits, or detractors I should look for? Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

89GT
04-27-2001, 04:05 PM
With exhaust it is all a matter of sound. Just like music people like different things and it is up to personal taste to see which one you like. Some people want a real loud exhaust or real low rumble which is a Flowmaster 2 chamber or American Thunder. The best thing is to find an exhaust you like the way it sounds from someone elses car and ask them what brand it is. I would have liked Borlas Stainless Steel exhaust but too too expensive for me. Good Luck.

Topless89GT
04-27-2001, 04:22 PM
Depends on what sound you want as mentioned above and it depends on how modified you want your stang. Nothing wrong with making it your stang, and temptation is great to modify as desired.
I simply prefer to stay stock, so two years ago , when the time came to put new exhaust on, I put all stock back on. Yes, I am loosing a little power vs the Flowmaster boys, but don't have to worry about drone. The stang is quick enough for me as it is and original/stock/oem appears to command a premium down the road. Would you rather have a 66 Fastback stock stang or a 66 stang with lots of mods. Its just a matter of choice.

[This message has been edited by Topless89GT (edited 04-27-2001).]

Mick
04-27-2001, 06:00 PM
Just remember that the exhaust will sound s lot different when you're in the car driving that it sounds from outside somebody else's car. Their exhaust may sound cool but do you want to listen to it while you're driving? The novelty wears off and then it becomes annoying.

Caveat Emptor.

------------------
1983 Mustang GT (http://www.mustanggt.org/photo/83tuttle.htm) 306/T-5(project in progress)
1994 Ranger Splash (http://www.geocities.com/mt83rd/index.html?986572015220) 4.0L/A4LD(daily driver)

93mustang
04-28-2001, 02:24 AM
I wouldn't really call the sound of a 5.0 a novelty...I get giddy every time I hear my car start up, and hearing it when I drive is always a pleasure. I don't know, maybe it's just me but I will never tire of hearing the sound of my stang :)

[/B][/QUOTE]

Chris-90LX
04-28-2001, 09:03 AM
What I think what Mick is saying, is that when you pick out a system that gives you that loud droning sound inside the passenger compartment driving isn't as enjoyable. I made this mistake once, and will always try to make other people aware of this if they aren't up on it.

LSG85GT
04-28-2001, 10:13 AM
I can relate to the droning. One of my first modifications on my 85 was a pair of Two-chamber Flowmasters. I liked the way they sound it but after about a year or so, the droning at highway speeds inside the car just got too annoying for my taste and had to get rid of them. So out came the Flows (which were rusting anyways) and in went some Borlas. The Borlas are about 2.5 times more expensive but I have had them for about 9 years and they still look good and the drone is almost none existing at highway speeds. The only part of my exhaust which is rusting are the Flow Tubes and the Tailpipes which both are MAC's which I'm about to chunk in the nearest garbage can. As they said, it all comes down to personal taste and how much $$$$ you have to spend and how long do you want it to last. Just make sure you do your research so you only end up spending money the first time and you are happy with what you got. Good luck in your decision.

------------------
Two Ponies (85GT & 95GTS) and a Bug.

BADPONY
04-28-2001, 11:38 AM
Just to even out the opinions here....
I love My drone. I love My sound. I love My stinky exhaust. I think if You don't like driving around in a loud car, then a mustang might not be what You need.
Maybe I have personal issues with what I drive....maybe I'm looking for an extention of my masculinity (?) but, I love My noisy Mustang. I used to hear an exhaust note far off in the distance, and I'd stop, listen for a sec, and say to who I was with..."it's a mustang" What other car can you so easily identify? This is just my southern, "yeehaw" opinion...not tryin' to start anything.
[by the way,I have: mac headers, Mac H-pipe (off road), and flowmasters with turndowns...and I wouldn't change a thing]

93mustang
05-01-2001, 01:14 AM
I hear ya badpony...I'm the exact same way down to the letters. I can hear a 5.0 from a mile away. The drone is what makes our cars so wonderful :)

Topless88
05-03-2001, 11:28 PM
I don't drive my Stang much but when I do you can bet I'm doing everything I can to get the noise at all times. I love to hear the pipes go. I don't even turn the radio on just so I can listen to the car that much easier. I've got the 2 stage Flows on the car with plans for the high flow Cat H pipe comming which will hopefully add just a little more rumble to the car. I guess its all a matter of opinion but I love the sound of a hot car unless its 3:00am and I'm trying to sleep.

mike g
05-04-2001, 12:25 AM
quite mustang=$300
loud mustang=$300
the sound of car alarms going off as you drive by=priceless

i'm in favor of loud exaust =)

[This message has been edited by mike g (edited 05-03-2001).]

josh miget
05-04-2001, 04:06 AM
lol @ mike thats awsome.

------------------
http://members.aol.com/ttopmustanggt88/images/joshthumb2.jpg