PDA

View Full Version : first loss

smokedu
03-28-2001, 08:53 PM
Lost my first race yesterday by none other than another 5.0. As long as it's a mustang I don't care as much. I was at a red light and right when it turned green another black 92' or 93' flew by me. My first reaction was to look and second, gun it! We both turned right at the next street and pulled up next to each other at a red. I rev my engine at him (running just headers and cats right now) and I impressed myself let alone him. Right when I was still letting my rpms go back down, the light turns green but he waits for me to shift. Only a ford fan would race fair like this. So I gun it and he guns it and I was 1 car length behind him the whole time. He had a 5 spd of course and I have an AOD. My car is stock. His sounded like he did some exhaust mods. Any ways we hit about 80 and we let off. To bad I didn't have my 3.73's yet. That won't come for another couple of weeks. It was a good race and I'm proud to be beat by another mustang.

Chris-90LX
03-28-2001, 11:56 PM
It's fun to have that kind of association out on the street with another Mustang owner.

O.K., here is where I turn into the old **** though. Street racing is dangerous. I was lucky in my younger years, and never either got caught or had any close calls.

Finding safe places to do this stuff isn't like it used to be. Now, where I live anyway things have become too developed, and there are sets of lights everywhere. Then there is the traffic that keeps getting tougher to just drive in daily too.

Just be careful out there!!

mike g
03-29-2001, 12:10 AM
there is hella places to race in the bay area(street racing). and most of the places we dont see a car all night but the **** pigs come and tell us to leave BAH! =) all in all i will probly never REALLY race on the streets just at sears point or some other strip by me.

smokedu
03-29-2001, 05:12 PM
I live in the bay area and the roads are huge and smooth for racing. I don't race in traffic unless i'm at the front. This is why I want low gears and I'm so absessed with jumping off the line. I just want to kill the opponent at the start so I don't have to hit high speeds. I try to keep it safe which is why I rarely race at night. I try not to.

Topless88
03-30-2001, 12:19 AM
I try to keep it at an absolute minimum and only when absolutely safe ie no other cars.
Long story had a race gone bad and other guy flipped the car 2 1/2 times in his 5.0. Nothing left of the car at all. We both somehow walked away with nothing more than a few bruises and 6k damage to my car and his like I said total right off. Sometimes you should just say no thanks. Easier to say that as I get older.

Baywolf
03-30-2001, 12:33 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Topless88:
Sometimes you should just say no thanks. Easier to say that as I get older.[/QUOTE

having a couple of kids helps you learn to say no thanks too gotta worry about what happens to them if you kill yourself

Mick
03-30-2001, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by Topless88:
We both somehow walked away with nothing more than a few bruises

The same can't be said for most people who are racing on the street that get into accidents or for other drivers who are being responsible that are the victims of recklessness.

Take it to a track where safety crews are only a few hundred feet away and retaining walls keep the wrecks from wrecking anybody else.

------------------
http://www.mustanggt.org/photo/1rear1.jpg
1983 Mustang GT 306/T-5(project in progress)
1994 Ranger Splash 4.0L/A4LD(daily driver)

Joe92GT
03-30-2001, 03:54 PM
We are running out of drag strips though!! Luckily I have one only 30 minutes away and they cater to all the kids on friday street legal nights.

I'm close enough to NYC to hear about all the illegals and all the deaths.. it pretty sad.... stories about guys racing right into a brick wall and stuff.. then there is the illegals on the park way at night where a whole bunch of cars block it off, and two race the full mile.. with Toyota supra turbos and such, speeds are around 180..

very dangerous, and NOT smart

------------------
92 Mustang GT
Mods: World Products Windsor Sr. Heads, B303 cam, GT-40 intake, 70mm throttle body, 75mm mass air, MAC fenderwall induction, long tube headers, high flow cats, MAC catback, tremec 3550, 3.73 gears, auborn locker.Mac upper and lower rear control arms, lowering springs, 12 degrees timing. 250 HP, 294 Ft/lbs at rear wheels
Best time: 13.7 @ 103.1 MPH

FL_Stang
03-30-2001, 05:40 PM
In Gainesville FL we have the Gatornationals strip, and they let you race there on weekends. I just bought my 5.0, and am loving it. 86 5.0 GT Convertible, I think the dealer didn't know what he had, he let it go cheap. I do notice that there are plenty of people challenging me now, Flowmasters tend to bring that out in folks I suppose. I am still getting used to the car though, so no racing for me http://64.21.184.154/ubb/wink.gif

Topless88
03-30-2001, 09:43 PM
Thats my biggest beef. We don't have any tracks around here. They don't want street racing and there is a ton of the illegal stuff trust me yet tracks are a taboo topic as well. We need to offer something to keep the kids off the street and from racing in the industrial areas where most of it is done. A city this size and no local track. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

FL_Stang
04-02-2001, 12:31 PM
Yeah, fortunately in florida they have quite a few local tracks, and drag strips to go to. Either Tampa or Orlando had a tricked out mustang trooper car that kicks butt. They let the kids race, and whoever wins gets to race the cop. Pretty cool stuff. i think it is better to do it that way since kids are going to race anyway. Might as well have it supervised. Wish more places thought like that though.