1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry - www.mustanggt.org
Dedicated to the documentation and preservation of
1982-1993 Mustang GT's
since 1994!!
Home | About Us | REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!! | GT Registry Statistics | Info By Year | Reference Gallery
Forums | Classifieds | Interactive Decoders | Production Numbers | GT Articles | Factory Literature | Info Needed | Donations
This message board and web site has been made possible through donations from: List of Contributors THANK YOU!!!!   
1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board  

Welcome to the 1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board!!

We're glad you're here! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view lists of topics, our GT Registry articles & information and access some of our other FREE features. By joining our community, you will have access to read and post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board > Restoration and Originality > Production and Originality
Register FAQ Members List Referrals Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read
Info NEEDED!!REFERENCE GALLERY!!REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!!GT Registry StatsInfo By YearAbout Us

Production and Originality Questions on original equipment, specs, etc. Is my car rare? Is it really a GT? What is it worth? It is original?

Old 01-24-2002, 12:56 AM   #1
TOM

I have a 93 Vibrant Red (EY) 5.0 Gt Convertible. The color was a 92 special edition for the LX. I can not find any info on the production quantity other than only 6 SVT cobras were made with this code in 93. I was told less than 100 were painted with this in 93. Can anyone enlighten me on this paint color and production.

------------------
Old 01-24-2002, 01:35 AM   #2
Mick

There were 4993 '93 Cobras and 107 '93 Cobra Rs produced. Of the 5100 total units produced, 1891 were painted Red. Of the 1891 units painted Red, 1882 had Paint Code ES and 9 had Paint Code EY.

The above information is courtesy of the SVT Cobra Owners Association.

Some people believe Paint Codes ES and EY are the same color. Some people also believe Vibrant Red and Performance Red are the same color.

I don't know where the "...less than 100 were painted with this in 93..." came from but I'll chalk that up to Internet rumors as is often the case for production figures of options such as paint codes. Ford has never released any production figures for things such as exterior colors, interiors colors, cloth, leather, AC, etc. Ford has only released total production figures for each year and figures of each body style(i.e. sedan, hatchback, and convertible). If anyone has a reliable source for actual production figures for things such as paint codes, please reply what or who that source is. Ongoing topics on Internet message boards are hardly ever reliable sources for such things as production figures for paint codes.

------------------
1983 Mustang GT 5.0L/T-5(project in progress)
1994 Ranger Splash 4.0L/A4LD(Wrecked)
Another daily driven Ford coming soon.
Old 01-24-2002, 11:56 AM   #3
TOM

The car is clearly a different color than the ES. It has been in shows and no one (Not even mustang 'experts') can explain the EY color code on the 1993 model and particularly the GT Convertible. The information we got was not on the internet as we are now using trying to "figure this color out". It has the non clear coat color of the 92 LX special edition. Clearly Different!... than the ES colors. Obviously the SVT only had 9 cars with the EY Color. What about the other cars that year??
Old 01-24-2002, 12:24 PM   #4
Mick

Well, where did you get the information of "...less than 100 were painted with this in 93..."? As I said above, Ford has NEVER released such information. Unfortunately all sorts of production information gets passed around that's unsubstantiated.

The only thing I can suggest is David & Kathy Bowers post how many '93 GTs have been registered with Paint Codes EY and ES. That may give you an idea of the percentages of '93 Mustangs ordered with each Paint Code.

------------------
1983 Mustang GT 5.0L/T-5(project in progress)
1994 Ranger Splash 4.0L/A4LD(Wrecked)
Another daily driven Ford coming soon.
Old 01-24-2002, 12:41 PM   #5
TOM

We got the info from a Ford rep at a National Mustang Show in Atlanta last year 2001. There were over 2,500 cars and non with our paint scheme. That is were the rep looked up information "where he got it...I do not know" That is why we are seeking more info. How do I get this production quantity codes from the Bowers? Can Mich e-mail me directly to Tom@TriumphSpitfire.com. You have been the most Knowledgeable person on this we have found. Thanks for your help!
Old 01-24-2002, 01:40 PM   #6
Wangstang

Can anyone give me a couple of links that show the two different colors, I know my 1990GT was repainted with a 93 red, but I am not sure which one.

Thanks,
Wes
Wangstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 01:49 PM   #7
Wangstang

Well, you got to love this quote from www.scoa.org:
Quote:
9 EY Cobras Produced. Only one went directly to a customer and the others were used inside of Ford with most being destroyed.
Wes
Wangstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 02:21 PM   #8
MustangGTorg
GT Registry Founders

OK, I've been doing a little snooping around on this subject.

First of all, ES and EY are both identified as "Vibrant Red" in '93 Ford literature. Supposedly one is clearcoat and the other is not - I can't vouch for this one way or the other because I don't really have any first hand knowledge as we have never looked over any cars with each paint code in person or compared the two side by side. We have never really looked into this issue before now even though the topic has come up a couple of times in the past.

It is true that Ford themselves have never publicly released any production numbers by paint color for 3rd generation Mustangs. However, thru some contacts we have, we managed to get some (unofficial) paint production numbers for you on these two paint codes for '93 GT's.

'93 Mustang GT convertibles with paint code EY - 197
'93 Mustang GT convertibles with paint code ES - 221
'93 Mustang GT hatchbacks with paint code EY - 576
'93 Mustang GT hatchbacks with paint code ES - 549

These are probably pretty accurate given what we know... As far as the registration numbers go, I believe we have 2 of each paint code (ES and EY) registered for '93 so that doesn't give us a very accurate picture of production.

We're planning to try looking into this a little further - hopefully we can locate some other info on the subject.

Thanks!

Kathy

------------------

David & Kathy Bowers
1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry
www.mustanggt.org
1965 Mustang coupe (stock - plates "FILLY")
1985 Mustang GT hatchback (daily driver - plates "4VROLLR")
1991 Mustang GT hatchback(open track/autocross - plates "SO FAST")
1991 Mustang GT convertible (stock - plates "TWIN GT")
1998 Expedition (family hauler & tow vehicle)
MustangGTorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 02:52 PM   #9
MustangGTorg
GT Registry Founders

Oh, by the way, if you go to the '93 Photo Gallery page, you'll see one car there is an "EY" hatchback (Bethany Thursby's). The color appears to be a little more "orangy-red" compared to the other cars there which are all "EP" Bright Red.

Kathy

------------------

David & Kathy Bowers
1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry
www.mustanggt.org
1965 Mustang coupe (stock - plates "FILLY")
1985 Mustang GT hatchback (daily driver - plates "4VROLLR")
1991 Mustang GT hatchback(open track/autocross - plates "SO FAST")
1991 Mustang GT convertible (stock - plates "TWIN GT")
1998 Expedition (family hauler & tow vehicle)
MustangGTorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 03:02 PM   #10
TryMyFive0

I have a 93' Gt and it is a orangey red, i always wondered why i couldn't keepa shine on this car and now i know why...thanx for all your help. I have to remember to not use this paint again...hehe
TryMyFive0 is offline   Reply With Quote