1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry - www.mustanggt.org
Dedicated to the documentation and preservation of
1982-1993 Mustang GT's
since 1994!!
Home | About Us | REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!! | GT Registry Statistics | Info By Year | Reference Gallery
Forums | Classifieds | Interactive Decoders | Production Numbers | GT Articles | Factory Literature | Info Needed | Donations
This message board and web site has been made possible through donations from: List of Contributors THANK YOU!!!!   
1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board  

Welcome to the 1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board!!

We're glad you're here! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view lists of topics, our GT Registry articles & information and access some of our other FREE features. By joining our community, you will have access to read and post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board > General Tech > Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Referrals Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read
Info NEEDED!!REFERENCE GALLERY!!REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!!GT Registry StatsInfo By YearAbout Us

Modifications Changes from the factory stock setup - performance and appearance. What to buy next? What works & what doesn't?

Old 06-19-2013, 07:34 PM   #1
Jeffer65

Question Installing door speakers

Did a search on this but didn't find much info.

My 88 convertible has the standard 4 speaker stereo. To my ears, the rear speakers don't seem to add much. I've been thinking about moving them to the doors. Is it a big PITA to run wires to the doors? Or did Ford prewire the doors for speakers?

I already put in an aftermarket deck and speakers in the dash and rear seat panels.

Thanks.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:16 PM   #2
GTDriver

I know your's is a 88 but I'm not even sure there are rear speakers in my 89 LX Vert. I know I replaced the dash speakers near the "A" pillars and mine has door speakers / grilles from the factory. I had to replace the driver side door speaker.
GTDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:37 AM   #3
Jeffer65

Default Nice looking Stangs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTDriver
I know your's is a 88 but I'm not even sure there are rear speakers in my 89 LX Vert. I know I replaced the dash speakers near the "A" pillars and mine has door speakers / grilles from the factory. I had to replace the driver side door speaker.
Mine has the grills too even though it never had the 6-speaker stereo. The rears are under the armrests behind the carpet. Kinda worthless.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:25 PM   #4
John,

I got them , they are low in the carpet at the bottom of the panel, not much sound travels thru them.
John, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
Xinstaller

Jeff, installing new speakers and running wires into the doors is not that difficult. A little time a patience and you can push the wire through the factory boot between the car and door. Are you using an amplifier in the car? The reason I ask is because I dont think the radio you have will be able to handle the extra load of 2 additinal speakers (6 total).
Xinstaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:45 AM   #6
Jeffer65

Default No amp -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinstaller
Jeff, installing new speakers and running wires into the doors is not that difficult. A little time a patience and you can push the wire through the factory boot between the car and door. Are you using an amplifier in the car? The reason I ask is because I dont think the radio you have will be able to handle the extra load of 2 additinal speakers (6 total).

I was just going to remove the rears and put them in the doors. Pretty sure they are the right diameter. Hopefully they are not too deep. They are Kickers- can't remember the model #right now.

I have a fish tape - is that the best tool to use for running wires in a car?

Thanks for the input.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:33 PM   #7
Xinstaller

The fish tape will work. It's been a long time since a ran wires into a foxbody door. I think the last time I ran wires in the door I took the boot off of the car and fed the wire from the interior, through the body and then into the boot so that it was a straight shot into the door. Didn't have to worry about kinks or stabbing the boot. Obviously I took the trim panels off of the kick panel to do this. I will be doing this soon to my car too. Let me know if you try it this way and what you thought of it.

After thinking about it more, I might have removed the boot and fed the fish tape from the outside jam and into the car to pull the wire through, then fed it through the boot.
Xinstaller is offline   Reply With Quote