1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry - www.mustanggt.org
Dedicated to the documentation and preservation of
1982-1993 Mustang GT's
since 1994!!
Home | About Us | REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!! | GT Registry Statistics | Info By Year | Reference Gallery
Forums | Classifieds | Interactive Decoders | Production Numbers | GT Articles | Factory Literature | Info Needed | Donations
This message board and web site has been made possible through donations from: List of Contributors THANK YOU!!!!   
1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board  

Welcome to the 1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board!!

We're glad you're here! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view lists of topics, our GT Registry articles & information and access some of our other FREE features. By joining our community, you will have access to read and post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board > General Tech > Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Referrals Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read
Info NEEDED!!REFERENCE GALLERY!!REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!!GT Registry StatsInfo By YearAbout Us

Modifications Changes from the factory stock setup - performance and appearance. What to buy next? What works & what doesn't?

Old 05-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #1
zoeysparents

Default Strut Tower Brace?????

I have a 92 GT convertible and I am wondering if the installation of a strut tower brace would be beneficial. The car is stock with no other modifications, but, I dont like the flexing of the front end and overall car. I dont want to go to subframe connectors.
Any comments/advice????
Was at a Mustang show yesterday. Man do the braces for the new Mustangs look good. They certainly have made improvements in the looks department from the basic black or chrome bars of the Fox era.
zoeysparents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
93 Wht GT
2009 Donating Member

In my opinion, all "braces" pretty much all help each other. After I had my subs welded in, I immediately noticed a difference when driving on an off-ramp and other cornering & straight line driving. I later added the strut tower brace and then under engine brace to finish tightening up the front end.

May I ask why you don't want to go with subframe connectors? (just wondering)

Rick
93 Wht GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
Boomer82GT

I put one on my T-Top 82 GT and think it helps with the flexing of the car. The one I got was made by Steeda. I've heard the MM ones are good too. I would recommend it for a convertible. They look great too.

1982 Mustang GT, Silver, Time Capsule (04'-09')
1982 Mustang GT, Black, T-Top, EFI Restomod (09'-12')
1982 Mustang GT, Black, Sunroof, Slightly modded (14'-Current)
Boomer82GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #4
teddy1500

the best thing you can do for your convertible is weld in subframe connectors, weld the cracks under the front seats back, the do the strut tower brace. Whats cracks? All the convertibles flex and crack under the seats.
teddy1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #5
zoeysparents

Default Strut Tower Braces

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93 Wht GT
In my opinion, all "braces" pretty much all help each other. After I had my subs welded in, I immediately noticed a difference when driving on an off-ramp and other cornering & straight line driving. I later added the strut tower brace and then under engine brace to finish tightening up the front end.

May I ask why you don't want to go with subframe connectors? (just wondering)

Rick

I always think of subframe connectors as major variances from original and for my driving, I don`t think I need them.
My car is essantially all original and although I am not a purist, I would like to keep it that way
Old 05-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #6
wydopnthrtl

I put a BBK strut tower brace on my car yesterday. Drove it to work today. (No other stiffeners on the car) Increased stiffness is noticable.

Later in the summer I plan on putting in some good quality sub-frames and also some torque box stiffeners.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:06 PM   #7
skunk
2010 Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoeysparents
I always think of subframe connectors as major variances from original and for my driving, I don`t think I need them.
My car is essantially all original and although I am not a purist, I would like to keep it that way
then don't bother with the just the strut brace + you need to drill holes in your strut towers to mount the brace. why do I say this because the greatest increase in rigidity comes from the sub frames on the frames period. yes there is some flex in front but not very much vs the floor and k-member. the front structure & fire wall will transfer alot of the "flex" the front has but trust me the body is moving much much more. The 2nd move after the SFCs is a k-brace and I'll toss in the strut brace at the same time. running just the front brace really doesn't over come much.

Do I have proof..yep. I started with just a Maximum motorsports strut brace ( I had the SFC, waiting to get installed) on the car. I had my car up on 4 jack stands. the nose weight alone had the body flexed enough that teh drivers/pass door gaps changed and the doors where harder to open and I didn't dare pop the hatch.

now with SFCs and all the braces when it was last on stands during the resto hardly any gap changes, you could open close all the doors and also when driving I would put my hand along the top window frame and I could feel it move before now it hardly moves.....proof SFCs work!!!!

just my honest opinion.
1991 GT white/ Titanium. 5.0. mild H,C,I, built Astro T5, built 8.8 w 3.73s, FRPP 31spline termi diff, 31 splines axles, plenty of MMS stuff both suspension and braces, Bullitt springs& agx adjustables, Ford racing wheels, Dunlop star spec tires & plenty more stuff.

Her resto thread:
http://www.mustanggt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=51391

2011 Lincoln MKX elite

2008 Ford explorer EB

2000Ford contour. modded, dyno tunded

skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:04 PM   #8
Blown88GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer82GT
I put one on my T-Top 82 GT and think it helps with the flexing of the car. The one I got was made by Steeda. I've heard the MM ones are good too. I would recommend it for a convertible. They look great too.
The original Steedas were pretty ugly but strong 4130 or 4340 Chromoly. They spray painted them flat black with no primer. A year or two later, they started powder coating which was new back then.
Thought about taking it off to refinish, but that's a big POA.

Their subframes were pretty much the same, not pretty, but functional. They make great jacking locations, too.
ProCharger P600B, FRPP Headers, Flowmaster F2, 3G Alt, Mk8 Fan/DCC, 3.55's, Prog Springs, ST Brace, G/Trac Bar, Subfrms, UCA, LCA, FCA, Tokico 5-ways, C/C Plates, CSA 16x8, Bridgestone RE760 Sport 225/50R16, Megasquirt DIYPNPF60, LC2 wideband, C&L76mm MAF w/30's
Blown88GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #9
93 Wht GT
2009 Donating Member

Check out the strut tower brace made from Maier Racing. They are local here in the Bay Area. I like this brace because of the full attachment point on the strut tower. It utilizes all of the bolts for added strength. Overall, it's well made with a nice powder coating.

I believe there is a picture in my photo album.

Rick
93 Wht GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:04 AM   #10
Bruce Mohacsy

I have tossed back and forth the idea of "original". As of today (it will prob. change tomorrow!) this is what I personally have come up with...... Unless you have plans to keep your car as an investment, why bother keeping it original. Questions I might ask:

Do I LIKE the fact that my car judders, twists, tracks poorly and generally behaves in an unbecoming manner. I'm not joking. Some purists will tell you that this is the true character of the car and should not be messed with.

Do I think my car will eventually be worth lots of dough at auction, say, 20 years from now.

Do I plan on entering it in vintage events where complete originality is required.

If you can answer yes to all of the above then keep it totally stock and enjoy it for what it is.

If you can't: Do everything you can do to stiffen the chassis. You will absolutely enjoy the positive changes. The original engineers would have done these things to the platform if Ford had given them the budget!

Peace, Bruce
Bruce Mohacsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:30 PM   #11
zoeysparents

Default Subframe Connectors

Okay, I gave up. I had subframe connectors installed on my car the other day. What a difference. Do the words Slot Car give away the feeling. I would not have thought a change could make that much difference.
I should have listened to you guys earlier.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:44 PM   #12
Boomer82GT

You're welcome...LOL. Glad to here you finally got it done.
1982 Mustang GT, Silver, Time Capsule (04'-09')
1982 Mustang GT, Black, T-Top, EFI Restomod (09'-12')
1982 Mustang GT, Black, Sunroof, Slightly modded (14'-Current)
Boomer82GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:17 PM   #13
wydopnthrtl

I never did put SFC in. Once I get it back on the road I'll get them done.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:20 PM   #14
Shakerhood

Quote:
Originally Posted by wydopnthrtl
I never did put SFC in. Once I get it back on the road I'll get them done.
You will love them, night and day difference.
Shakerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:25 PM   #15
zoeysparents

As I said it makes a world of a difference. You will fall in love with the car all over again.