1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry - www.mustanggt.org
Dedicated to the documentation and preservation of
1982-1993 Mustang GT's
since 1994!!
Home | About Us | REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!! | GT Registry Statistics | Info By Year | Reference Gallery
Forums | Classifieds | Interactive Decoders | Production Numbers | GT Articles | Factory Literature | Info Needed | Donations
This message board and web site has been made possible through donations from: List of Contributors THANK YOU!!!!   
1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board  

Welcome to the 1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board!!

We're glad you're here! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view lists of topics, our GT Registry articles & information and access some of our other FREE features. By joining our community, you will have access to read and post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board > Restoration and Originality > Decoding
Register FAQ Members List Referrals Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read
Info NEEDED!!REFERENCE GALLERY!!REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!!GT Registry StatsInfo By YearAbout Us

Decoding Post your decoding questions here - VINs, door tags, axle tags, buildsheets, part numbers, etc.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:48 PM   #1
hank_70

Default 89 Cobra GT ???

Hello, I recently purchased a 1989 Mustang GT and have a question about the title. The title to the car list it as a Mustang GT/Cobra GT. I also run a CARFAX report on the car and they list it the same way as a Mustang GT/Cobra GT. Can anyone tell me what this means is this a Cobra?

Thanks Kerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3kd3o73l95Q75P45Re9bra7bbd16e28cf1456.jpg (8.8 KB, 11 views)
hank_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:45 PM   #2
1982 niGhTmare

I assume you live in Canada? Your car sounds like a Canadian Mustang. From 84-92 Canadian Mustang GT's were called Cobra GT's.

More information:

http://www.mustanggt.org/canadiangt/canadiangt.htm
Old 01-01-2010, 09:46 PM   #3
91GTStang

Or if you are not in Canada some states simply put Cobra/GT on the title. When I got the title back for my 91 it said the same. Also carfax said Cobra/GT.

It's important to know that both the state-bound and Canadian models were the same in nearly all aspects except for the differences noted on the link above.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:12 PM   #4
m80j
2009 Donating Member

Yea ford Canada used the cobra name to generate sales.Purely a marketing thing.The problem is in Canada we pay higher insurance rates for the cobras over the lx models just because of that stupid name plate.It is however a myth that all the Canadian gt's where badged that way.The most common years for the cobra badge are 87- early 90.Mine is a 90 and was never badged as a cobra but it's still registered as one.From 90 on the cobra badge was a stripe option I think.Some have it and some don't.You could order the car without the badge,with one on the hatch lid that says the word cobra,or a snake on the fender just above the 5.0 badge,or combo's.I have seen all different combinations of them.
m80j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:16 PM   #5
m80j
2009 Donating Member

My car still has the original paint and sits in stock trim if you want a look.If your paint is stock it looks like the car was ordered with the stripe delete.Only one thin stripe just below the mirror running down both sides and over the hatch.No big fat stripe in the side trim.

Last edited by m80j; 01-02-2010 at 01:22 PM..
m80j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:03 PM   #6
hank_70

Thanks for all the information. I live in Indiana and the DSO for this 91 GT is INDY so I'm going to assume that its just a normal GT.

Thanks everyone.
hank_70 is offline   Reply With Quote