1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry - www.mustanggt.org
Dedicated to the documentation and preservation of
1982-1993 Mustang GT's
since 1994!!
Home | About Us | REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!! | GT Registry Statistics | Info By Year | Reference Gallery
Forums | Classifieds | Interactive Decoders | Production Numbers | GT Articles | Factory Literature | Info Needed | Donations
This message board and web site has been made possible through donations from: List of Contributors THANK YOU!!!!   
1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board  

Welcome to the 1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board!!

We're glad you're here! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view lists of topics, our GT Registry articles & information and access some of our other FREE features. By joining our community, you will have access to read and post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board > General Tech > Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Referrals Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read
Info NEEDED!!REFERENCE GALLERY!!REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!!GT Registry StatsInfo By YearAbout Us

Modifications Changes from the factory stock setup - performance and appearance. What to buy next? What works & what doesn't?

Old 11-27-2009, 06:47 PM   #1
skunk
2010 Donating Member

Default Skunk's restoration thread.

The stang is getting a pretty extensive restoration this winter starting with the exterior and then doing some interior work also. I have been storing parts for the past few years to get it ready and hunting down has much OEM Ford stuff has I could find. It should be going to my buddy Sid's shop in about 2wks or so and we will start stripping the body down of all the ground effects and body panels. The nice part about it is the car is rust free but after 18yrs she needs a serious refresh and the PO banged up the drivers door and put some juice in it so I hunted down a rust free door . I also plan on replacing alot of trim pieces and repainting what I can't find. now onto some pics...

Found a set of brand new OEM front bumpers for her.

Brand new OEM rear GT wing..mine has alot of little stress cracks all over it.

some of the new trim peices..cowl vent, rain gutter trim, outside upper door & and lower windshield trim.

all new oem ford seals for the doors, hatch and window run channel.
1991 GT white/ Titanium. 5.0. mild H,C,I, built Astro T5, built 8.8 w 3.73s, FRPP 31spline termi diff, 31 splines axles, plenty of MMS stuff both suspension and braces, Bullitt springs& agx adjustables, Ford racing wheels, Dunlop star spec tires & plenty more stuff.

Her resto thread:
http://www.mustanggt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=51391

2011 Lincoln MKX elite

2008 Ford explorer EB

2000Ford contour. modded, dyno tunded

skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 06:53 PM   #2
skunk
2010 Donating Member

replacing all the weather worn headlights with brand new OEM ford units and new seals.

misc. stuff, door lock actuators etc.

used rust free drivers door.

probally my favorite peices..brand new oem cralite quarter windows costly but so worth it.

gutting the interior to get it ready.

all gutted out for the most part and ready to head out to the shop.

That's it for right now but I'll update soon.
1991 GT white/ Titanium. 5.0. mild H,C,I, built Astro T5, built 8.8 w 3.73s, FRPP 31spline termi diff, 31 splines axles, plenty of MMS stuff both suspension and braces, Bullitt springs& agx adjustables, Ford racing wheels, Dunlop star spec tires & plenty more stuff.

Her resto thread:

2011 Lincoln MKX elite

2008 Ford explorer EB

Old 11-28-2009, 08:18 AM   #3
need4spd90

those werent the $1400 1/4 windows on ebay were they?? lol

looks good,im starting a project too,but im gutting it to make a drag car lol..

need4spd90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:11 AM   #4
skunk
2010 Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by need4spd90
those werent the $1400 1/4 windows on ebay were they?? lol

looks good,im starting a project too,but im gutting it to make a drag car lol..
LOL. Hell no . I got them from PPI for 1/2 that.

Her resto thread:

2011 Lincoln MKX elite

2008 Ford explorer EB

Old 11-28-2009, 11:38 AM   #5
need4spd90

someone on another forum posted the link..they were NOS oem ford windows,buy it now was like $1475 lol

Old 11-28-2009, 05:36 PM   #6
skunk
2010 Donating Member

Quote:
someone on another forum posted the link..they were NOS oem ford windows,buy it now was like $1475 lol
They are nuts + some people don't know how to shop it seems. PPI and 50resto both have NOS oem Ford carlite windows for 1/2 that just like the ones I got. 50resto also has the aftermarket ones but it doesn't have the "mustang" script in the window for $300 but I wanted the real thing. At one time the NOS windows where over a grand from these above companies when the supply was down to nothing but carlite released some more stock they had and it dropped the price some until the stock dries up again.

I ordered some more parts. got some oem ford outside mirrors and all new oem ford switches for the power windows, locks & mirrors. my switches are slightly worn and the white markings are worn off. I'm either going to refreshen the stock door panels or order the new complete ones that 50resto has haven't made up my mind yet.

Her resto thread:

2011 Lincoln MKX elite

2008 Ford explorer EB

Last edited by skunk; 11-28-2009 at 05:40 PM..
Old 11-28-2009, 06:33 PM   #7
need4spd90

dont they just sell new molding kits for the 1/4 windows?

im trying to figure out what to do with my door panels as well..manual windows(which is what i wanted)..but the panels are black/blue..was thinking of dying the door panels/dash/console all black,but then the doors still have the blue carpeting on them..does that stuff come off cleanly?

Old 11-28-2009, 06:47 PM   #8
mmb617

It's a race car Joe, quit worrying about making it purdy. Just replace those door panels with some sheet aluminum, probably save some weight!

Props to the OP, bringing one of these old cars back to factory original has to be a huge and expensive project.

Old Fart Drag Racing - If you're not having fun, then you're taking this stuff too seriously.
mmb617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:37 PM   #9
skunk
2010 Donating Member

Quote:
dont they just sell new molding kits for the 1/4 windows?

im trying to figure out what to do with my door panels as well..manual windows(which is what i wanted)..but the panels are black/blue..was thinking of dying the door panels/dash/console all black,but then the doors still have the blue carpeting on them..does that stuff come off cleanly?
They make overlays for the 1/4 windows which for me just doesn't cut it. they look okay but you can tell they are overlays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmb617
It's a race car Joe, quit worrying about making it purdy. Just replace those door panels with some sheet aluminum, probably save some weight!

Props to the OP, bringing one of these old cars back to factory original has to be a huge and expensive project.
Thanks mmb617 and yeah this has cost me some $$ so far and I haven't gotten the bill from the body shop yet .not including the suspension (pretty much complete front to rear), fuel system including new tank, motor stuff including the mods in my sig + all new oem sensors and tons of little tid bits under there, exhaust, new astro T5, etc. I have spent a boat load of cash and still plan on a motor project down the road but hell it's worth it and she is a very solid candidate

Her resto thread:

2011 Lincoln MKX elite

2008 Ford explorer EB

Old 12-22-2009, 06:50 PM   #10
skunk
2010 Donating Member

little update..It's at the shop and we started to pull it apart. Great news NO MAJOR RUST !!! she only really has minor surface rust for the most part in areas. I pulled the rear off and only minor suface crap in one area under there. The rear panels, quarters, fenders, etc. are all in great shape. going to do some sanding blasting and work on the rust so I'll update again soon but here are some pics for now.

Her resto thread:

2011 Lincoln MKX elite

2008 Ford explorer EB

Old 12-23-2009, 03:27 AM   #11
federal officer

I loves these types of threads to read up on !!!! good luck kid and happy restoring !! By the way keep us up to date on the progress with LOTS of pics
Old 12-23-2009, 10:47 AM   #12
need4spd90

looking good so far

Old 12-26-2009, 02:21 PM   #13
purgeofdarkness

this is exciting!!!
purgeofdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:59 AM   #14
skunk
2010 Donating Member

I picked up a brand new oem leather wrapped steering wheel still in the wrapper from PPI. I almost don't want to unwrap it, these things are next to impossible to find brand new.

I did peek under the wrap and it's nice and crisp leather under there . I'll use it has the crowning moment when the resto project is finished .

Her resto thread:

2011 Lincoln MKX elite

2008 Ford explorer EB

Old 01-06-2010, 12:13 PM   #15
skunk
2010 Donating Member

work is still on going. I did some work to the pass. door, fixing some low spots and dings. there really wasn't that much to do on it. The same with quarter panels. They have been tinker with it also but they have been busy so my buddy who own the shop lest me do some stuff on it. I'm hoping to get the drivers door off this week and work on the surface rust in the jamb and start stripping the fender.

I also picked a up some new oem side view mirrors for the car and a new pass. door moulding + the GT skirt holders. some where kinda punchy even though the body of the car was solid around where the rusty holders where. I'm going to use POR on the new ones to treat them.

Her resto thread:

2011 Lincoln MKX elite

2008 Ford explorer EB