1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry - www.mustanggt.org
Dedicated to the documentation and preservation of
1982-1993 Mustang GT's
since 1994!!
Home | About Us | REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!! | GT Registry Statistics | Info By Year | Reference Gallery
Forums | Classifieds | Interactive Decoders | Production Numbers | GT Articles | Factory Literature | Info Needed | Donations
This message board and web site has been made possible through donations from: List of Contributors THANK YOU!!!!   
1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board  

Welcome to the 1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board!!

We're glad you're here! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view lists of topics, our GT Registry articles & information and access some of our other FREE features. By joining our community, you will have access to read and post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board > General Tech > Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Referrals Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read
Info NEEDED!!REFERENCE GALLERY!!REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!!GT Registry StatsInfo By YearAbout Us

Modifications Changes from the factory stock setup - performance and appearance. What to buy next? What works & what doesn't?

Old 01-22-2009, 10:37 PM   #1
clean88gt

Default Pics of Explorer intake install.

Got the intake from Joe (need4spd) a couple weeks ago and proceeded to mildly port the lower while concentrating mainly on the short-side turns of runners 1 and 5. Came out looking pretty decent, most people think it's stock. Thanks again Joe.

-Brian

Last edited by clean88gt : 01-23-2009 at 08:32 PM.
clean88gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:27 PM   #2
91GTStang

Looks great! I can tell you haven't wasted anytime working on the car since returning home.

How does the car feel now that you opened up the intake a bit?
Old 01-23-2009, 08:28 AM   #3
need4spd90

damn,that was quick..looks good,i sat and ported myexplorer intake and gt40p heads too,its a pain in the @ss if you ask me,but probably well worth it..i'd never be able to do it for a living,grinder vibrating in one hand and the compressor screaming in your ear for hours
..did you drill/tap the runner for the ACT,or relocate it?
im guessing you figured out the EGR coolant return thing as well?
hows it run?

Last edited by need4spd90 : 01-23-2009 at 08:32 AM.
need4spd90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:35 AM   #4
clean88gt

Thanks, although I've been home. This is my first Speed Density Fox-body but I've owned 4 Mass-air Foxes and an SN95 that have had H/C/I, superchargers, 347s, N20 - you name it, so I pretty much knew what to expect out of the swap. True to form, the low end is a little softer until 3K where it starts to feel good, then at 4K it really comes on and pulls to 5.5K instead of 5K. In the past I've gotten roughly .2 and 2+mph out of GT-40 intake swaps and this seems to be the same SOTP-wise.

A buddy of mine just offered me a low-mileage set of 1.90/1.60 Edelbrock Performer heads just for helping him part-out a highly modded 93 notch, so, I may bolt-on another 40HP in the next month or so - only cost me gaskets, fluids and my labor! Wish I would have known this before putting on the intake but I'm not complaining.

-Brian

Last edited by clean88gt : 01-25-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:45 AM   #5
clean88gt

Quote:
damn,that was quick..looks good,i sat and ported myexplorer intake and gt40p heads too,its a pain in the @ss if you ask me,but probably well worth it..i'd never be able to do it for a living,grinder vibrating in one hand and the compressor screaming in your ear for hours
..did you drill/tap the runner for the ACT,or relocate it?
im guessing you figured out the EGR coolant return thing as well?
hows it run?

I've ported the lowers on all of my GT-40s to some extent, I kept this one mild except for really working on the short-side turns of 1 & 5 - where the turns are tight. I'm going to put the ACT in the intake tubing after the airbox this weekend. I drilled and tapped the boss for a 3/8" NPT fitting as everyone specified but I found that I could have gotten away with a smaller drill/tap combo. The coolant line fitting that goes there has a tiny little tube that is probably less than a 1/4" dia. My guess is that Ford had the casting supplier tap the stock manifolds for 3/8" NPT because they were already using that size in the sensor locations. See above post for how it runs.

-Brian
Old 01-23-2009, 12:11 PM   #6
need4spd90

good glad it all worked out ok..thats a hell of a deal with those heads..you'll get your low end back and then some once you bolt those on..send them my way if you dont want them haha

you converting to mass air,or are you gonna try the "i'll show you what S/D can do.." approach?

Last edited by need4spd90 : 01-23-2009 at 12:14 PM.
need4spd90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:54 PM   #7
clean88gt

SD all the way baby....Heads next, then a 6psi Paxton SL. It's been done so I know I can do it too.

-Brian
Old 01-23-2009, 08:16 PM   #8
gstang93

The intake looks great Brian. I've had my Explorer on for a couple of years now and seems to perform well. Good luck with the head swap.
gstang93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:23 PM   #9
5.0fanatic

Looks great!
_ 65mm Throttle body and EGR spacer
_ off road x-pipes, 2 chamber flowmasters
_ BBK 1 5/8 unequal length headers
_ smog pump deleted
_ 180 degree thermostat
_ Taylor 8.2mm Thunder Volt ignition wires.
_ msd cap and rotor
_ msd street fire TFI ignition coil
_Explorer GT-40 Intake Manifold
_Explorer 19# injectors
_Crank underdrive pulley
_130 amp 3g alternator
5.0fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:08 AM   #10
UK PONY

The '86 GT I just bought apparently has an explorer intake & '90 cylinder heads. Maybe you guys could help me out with a couple of questions;

1.) What sort of power gain will this have given me?
2.) After a few minutes at hot idle the car starts hunting - could this be related to the changes & if so what do I do to fix it?
UK PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:15 AM   #11
5.0fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK PONY
The '86 GT I just bought apparently has an explorer intake & '90 cylinder heads. Maybe you guys could help me out with a couple of questions;

1.) What sort of power gain will this have given me?
2.) After a few minutes at hot idle the car starts hunting - could this be related to the changes & if so what do I do to fix it?

1.) I guess around 30to35 hp with the combo of E7 heads and Explorer intake. The E6 heads are a lot worse than the E7's.
2.) The idle hunting might have to do with the mods, cause it's speed density.
_ smog pump deleted
_ 180 degree thermostat
_ msd cap and rotor
_Explorer 19# injectors
_Crank underdrive pulley
_130 amp 3g alternator
Old 03-17-2009, 07:24 PM   #12
clean88gt

UK Pony -

1. As stated above, the E7s and Explorer/GT-40 intake are worth about 30-35 HP over stock 1986 heads/intake. If you have aftermarket headers and h-pipe and you've removed the intake silencer it may be close to 45-50 HP. The '86 E-6 heads/intake combo was pretty lame @ 200HP.

2. Click on this link to correct the idle surging but first check for vaccum leaks as they are the most common cause of idle surge: http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,1031.0.html

Good luck.

-Brian
Old 03-17-2009, 08:40 PM   #13
UK PONY

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean88gt
UK Pony -

1. As stated above, the E7s and Explorer/GT-40 intake are worth about 30-35 HP over stock 1986 heads/intake. If you have aftermarket headers and h-pipe and you've removed the intake silencer it may be close to 45-50 HP. The '86 E-6 heads/intake combo was pretty lame @ 200HP.

2. Click on this link to correct the idle surging but first check for vaccum leaks as they are the most common cause of idle surge: http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,1031.0.html

Good luck.

-Brian

Thanks Brian & 5.0Fanatic - useful link Brian, I'll see if I can figure it out when I get the car home (currently stored in the next town until my '90 Lx sells).
UK PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:45 AM   #14
5.0fanatic

Your welcome. It might be a vacuum leak too, like mentioned above. If everything is normal, then it could the speed density system freaking-out, since there's more air and exhaust flow. Time for a maf swap. It might not be necessary, but the car can adjust to it's new mods a lot better than speed density.
_ smog pump deleted
_ 180 degree thermostat
_ msd cap and rotor
_Explorer 19# injectors
_Crank underdrive pulley
_130 amp 3g alternator