1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry - www.mustanggt.org
Dedicated to the documentation and preservation of
1982-1993 Mustang GT's
since 1994!!
Home | About Us | REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!! | GT Registry Statistics | Info By Year | Reference Gallery
Forums | Classifieds | Interactive Decoders | Production Numbers | GT Articles | Factory Literature | Info Needed | Donations
This message board and web site has been made possible through donations from: List of Contributors THANK YOU!!!!   
1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board  

Welcome to the 1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board!!

We're glad you're here! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view lists of topics, our GT Registry articles & information and access some of our other FREE features. By joining our community, you will have access to read and post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board > General Tech > Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Referrals Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read
Info NEEDED!!REFERENCE GALLERY!!REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!!GT Registry StatsInfo By YearAbout Us

Modifications Changes from the factory stock setup - performance and appearance. What to buy next? What works & what doesn't?

Old 11-14-2007, 10:18 PM   #1
Shakerhood

Default Optima Battery

Just curious if anyone is running an Optima Battery in their Stang, and if so what size? I was looking at a Yellow Top 34/78 but from reading the dimensions it seems like the Height of the Terminals may end up rubbing on the underside of the hood. Any insight is greatly appreciated!!!
Shakerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:47 PM   #2
93 Wht GT
2009 Donating Member

I'm running a red top Optima battery and I love it. Rob (Retro10) is also running a red top in his '93. Not too sure on the size (I'm in the house right now), but I had the parts guy look up the size that would fit my Stang.

Rick
93 Wht GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:54 PM   #3
Shakerhood

Next time you get the chance can you check on what size you have? Thanks!!!
Old 11-15-2007, 10:17 AM   #4
David

Talking

yellow top and its in the trunk, i have had it for 7 years now and no problems until the day my alternator went dead then i had to have it charged on a aem/gel cell battery charger.

86 coupe all motor silver11.77 @117 now going 434w/ 94mmturbo going for 7.30 nmra legal

86 gt t tops black 11.3 @ 125 registered
87 gt dd
88gt 3x black supercharged conv sold
89 gt "oscar the grouch" sold
88 coupe red, to much to list
89 hatch black 4cly sold
91 hatch too much to list
00 gt performance red to much to list
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:25 AM   #5
superhighoutput

I had a red top for my sho and my opinion is it is way too much for what they are,if I was doing rock crawling with a 4x4 and might run into a situation where the battery might be on its side then it would be a good thing ,but I have had very good luck with the autozone gold top batteries and they are a third the money and mine lasted 4 years longer than my over priced red top ,this is just my opinion but I wiil never buy another .and remember the autozone gold are made by exide the same maker of the die hard
superhighoutput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 12:50 AM   #6
Shakerhood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93 Wht GT
I'm running a red top Optima battery and I love it. Rob (Retro10) is also running a red top in his '93. Not too sure on the size (I'm in the house right now), but I had the parts guy look up the size that would fit my Stang.

Rick

I looked on Optimas Web Site and they do not list "Any" Optimas to fit in the Stock Location, I wonder what your parts guy looked up?
Old 11-16-2007, 11:13 AM   #7
Derald Rice

I use red top optimas in all vehicles except the ones that wtill have a good factory batt. When they need a replacement, they will also get optimas. The battery that I use is a red top, 9 5/8 L, 6 3/4 W, 7 1/2 H (to top of terminals). I am not sure of the group number sizing. Oldest one is going on ten years, still no problems with any of them. If they do need to be charged, use the old style charger, not a pulsed one. The stock fiberglass mustang battery tray will need to be opened up for the added width. After the battery is set into place, it will be obvious where this is needed, a dremel or cut off wheel works well. Also you will have to get used to not ever having to clean your terminals again.
1957 Jaguar Mk 1 sedan
Derald Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:25 PM   #8
93 Wht GT
2009 Donating Member

Hey Shaker!
The guy at Sear's Automotive Dept sold me an Optima Model# Red 34/78 and
it fits in the stock location.

Go for it!

Rick
Old 11-16-2007, 11:28 PM   #9
93 Wht GT
2009 Donating Member

Regarding the battery tray, there is no need to modify the plastic tray.

Rick
Old 11-17-2007, 12:46 AM   #10
Shakerhood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93 Wht GT
Hey Shaker!
The guy at Sear's Automotive Dept sold me an Optima Model# Red 34/78 and
it fits in the stock location.

Go for it!

Rick

Thank You for the Info, greatly appreciated!!! I am also considering an Odyssey Battery as it is not as tall as the Optima. I have had some Generic Autozone Battery in the Car for almost 10 Years now, but I am sick of the Terminals getting nasty!
Old 11-17-2007, 01:31 PM   #11
93 Wht GT
2009 Donating Member

Not a problem Keep us posted!

Rick
Old 12-09-2007, 11:14 PM   #12
Retro10

hey everyone! I believe I have the same on Rick has. I also got mine from Sears and that is what they told me. Let me tell you its a beast! I have unfortunately let my battery die a few times espically over the winters because I do not have a garage and I park it at my parents house. After a charge the car fires up and have had no problems with the battery. I know its not the best thing to do but its hard to head over there to get it started every week or two.....

Good luck with what ever battery you do get!
Rob

TRADED IN APRIL 2003
98 Mustang GT Convert.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/698981/1
http://www.firststatemustangandford.com/
Retro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:28 PM   #13
Shakerhood

Glad to know the Battery is working for you!