1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry - www.mustanggt.org
Dedicated to the documentation and preservation of
1982-1993 Mustang GT's
since 1994!!
Home | About Us | REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!! | GT Registry Statistics | Info By Year | Reference Gallery
Forums | Classifieds | Interactive Decoders | Production Numbers | GT Articles | Factory Literature | Info Needed | Donations
This message board and web site has been made possible through donations from: List of Contributors THANK YOU!!!!   
1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board  

Welcome to the 1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board!!

We're glad you're here! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view lists of topics, our GT Registry articles & information and access some of our other FREE features. By joining our community, you will have access to read and post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board > General Tech > Maintenance, Troubleshooting and Diagnosis
Register FAQ Members List Referrals Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read
Info NEEDED!!REFERENCE GALLERY!!REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!!GT Registry StatsInfo By YearAbout Us

Maintenance, Troubleshooting and Diagnosis Need help? Having troubles with your GT? Need some maintenance tips? Ask your questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2006, 09:48 PM   #1
longhair61
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 53
Default 85 cfi unit wont idle

just inherited 85 gt w/auto trans ,cfi -wont start on own needs help, foot peddle ,did basic tune up ,no help. changed fuel filter,fuel presure gauge ,
no help took to garage ,they said everythings working ,that i have vacuum leek,and was determined ,leek was in plate the throttle shaft goes through,on
throttle possition senser side ,said cant fix ,need to replace ? NOW were do i find this fuel injected carb? anybody have any advice for this newbee.
1st time i've owned a stang, plus not to hip on CFI'S nor SEFI'S .
longhair61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 01:09 AM   #2
Opiate
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: DeKalb, IL
Posts: 30
Default

man i don't know where to begin, but if I were you, I'ld consider destroying all that crap and throwing a real carb on it...
Opiate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 08:11 PM   #3
Whtstang
Senior Member
 
Whtstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Houston ,TX
Posts: 1,626
Default

There are places that carry CFI components but some of them will charge big bucks for these hard to find parts. IE, I got a line on a rebuilt CFI throttle body(that carb looking thing) from the folks at Car Quest but it listed at about $700.

Try
http://wrenchead.carparts.com/servlets/WebEPC35?ns=Fuel%20Delivery%20Fuel+Injection%20198 5%20FORD%20MUSTANG&cl=jcw-carparts35&vc=1985|28|MUS|4331&grc=11005&grd=Fuel% 20Delivery&JCWRETURN=store.carparts.com&storeId=10 401&catalogId=10101&sgc=12039

They are afilliated with JC Whitney & carry parts for CFI systems. I haven't priced a CFI TB there but their CFI replacement parts are reasonably priced.

You can also consider putting a carb on it. A lot of people do. This way you can have a choice of upgraded intakes which are a large improvement over the OE CFI piece. However, you will have to modify the fuel system & you may have to change out the distributor if you go this route.

P.S. I forgot to mention that you will also have to make provisions for the AOD TV rod. All doable but it's not as simple as just throwing a carb up there.
__________________
85 GT Hatch w/AOD: K&N(of course). True dual exhaust w/91 H-Pipe, Hooker Comp Cat-back & Hooker Aerochamber Mufflers. KYB Struts & Shocks, MM LCA's, Polyurethane Bushings in Struts, Rack & Sway bar, Kenny Brown SFC's, MM Strut Tower Brace & Prothane Motor Mounts. AOD Performance rebuild W/ 2200 stall, shift kit, upgraded Direct clutch, upgraded OD w/ 2" wide AODE band, drum & mechanical diode. Cobra/SVO tail light lens's.
Carbed 306 or Stroker rebuild in the planning stages.

2007 Civic EX Coupe (30+ mpg commuter car, stock [for now] )

Last edited by Whtstang : 07-18-2006 at 09:08 PM.
Whtstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:12 PM   #4
Bill_Laird's86GT
Senior Member
 
Bill_Laird's86GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Wendell NC
Posts: 3,872
Default

Give this a try

http://car-part.com/

I'll bet you'll find something close by.



Bill
Bill_Laird's86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:31 PM   #5
longhair61
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 53
Default 85 auto gt cfi-tbi trouble

thanks ,whtstang & bill for your advice i will follow up leads,

oh also today ,i forgot in kenosha wisconsin theirs a company called
Dyno test Carb labs , i called guy their and he had me bring in tbi unit to test tomorow and said he can rebuild it or fix -put bushings in throttle shaft plate
so im excited for that. the bushings only $40, test tbi $20 ,rebuild?,
also he said 3 things i should test , 1-dead head pressure test on gas line 50lbs, 2-map sensor, 3-egr valve . if tbi is ok then its probly fuel pump ,not kickin out enough , said 50lbs ,to open ejectors? I'll keep you posted on progress
longhair61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 02:35 AM   #6
Opiate
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: DeKalb, IL
Posts: 30
Default

Sounds good bro.. it's always better to fix what's there rather than monkeying stuff... IF you were looking to do a bit of upgrading I'm sure the carb swap, although detailed, would not require a lot of "hard" work. I know that Lokar makes kickdown cables and they work great from my experience. IF you had to replace the distributer, I'ld just go ahead and swap in either a stocker off an 80's or get a points distributer and replace the innerds with a pertronix ignitor. Works great in my car until I can rewire the damned thing.
Opiate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 09:37 PM   #7
Whtstang
Senior Member
 
Whtstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Houston ,TX
Posts: 1,626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhair61
thanks ,whtstang & bill for your advice i will follow up leads,

oh also today ,i forgot in kenosha wisconsin theirs a company called
Dyno test Carb labs , i called guy their and he had me bring in tbi unit to test tomorow and said he can rebuild it or fix -put bushings in throttle shaft plate
so im excited for that. the bushings only $40, test tbi $20 ,rebuild?,
also he said 3 things i should test , 1-dead head pressure test on gas line 50lbs, 2-map sensor, 3-egr valve . if tbi is ok then its probly fuel pump ,not kickin out enough , said 50lbs ,to open ejectors? I'll keep you posted on progress

Cool. I never thought about just replacing the throttle shaft bushings in your existing TB, but I was going to ask today if the EGR valve was ever checked & if all the vacuum hoses had been inspected for breaks or cracks.

Do you have the dual fuel pumps on your car? Is it EECIV? How many miles on the ticker?
__________________
85 GT Hatch w/AOD: K&N(of course). True dual exhaust w/91 H-Pipe, Hooker Comp Cat-back & Hooker Aerochamber Mufflers. KYB Struts & Shocks, MM LCA's, Polyurethane Bushings in Struts, Rack & Sway bar, Kenny Brown SFC's, MM Strut Tower Brace & Prothane Motor Mounts. AOD Performance rebuild W/ 2200 stall, shift kit, upgraded Direct clutch, upgraded OD w/ 2" wide AODE band, drum & mechanical diode. Cobra/SVO tail light lens's.
Carbed 306 or Stroker rebuild in the planning stages.

2007 Civic EX Coupe (30+ mpg commuter car, stock [for now] )
Whtstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:13 PM   #8
longhair61
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whtstang
Cool. I never thought about just replacing the throttle shaft bushings in your existing TB, but I was going to ask today if the EGR valve was ever checked & if all the vacuum hoses had been inspected for breaks or cracks.

Do you have the dual fuel pumps on your car? Is it EECIV? How many miles on the ticker?




yes egr was ok,and garage guy checked all vacuum lines and gaskets ,only to come up with that the throttle shaft plate? was worn much and has alot of blowbye,so dyno carb guys got unit now and was to test it today ? no here yet . But im not sure if dual pumps ?, it is EEC IV ,DOES THAT MEAN?, MOTOR
HAS 112000 MILES the girl never drove car much ,has many newer parts on it ,from brakes,heater core trans serv.,radiator flush,newer tires,new battery,
i dont have alot to do to car just gotta get it to run normally ,i'll have to see if it has 2 pumps , thanx for your help!! by the way what is the EEC IV ,Its writen on hood stamp

Last edited by longhair61 : 07-19-2006 at 10:17 PM.
longhair61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 12:43 AM   #9
Whtstang
Senior Member
 
Whtstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Houston ,TX
Posts: 1,626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhair61
yes egr was ok,and garage guy checked all vacuum lines and gaskets ,only to come up with that the throttle shaft plate? was worn much and has alot of blowbye,so dyno carb guys got unit now and was to test it today ? no here yet . But im not sure if dual pumps ?, it is EEC IV ,DOES THAT MEAN?, MOTOR
HAS 112000 MILES the girl never drove car much ,has many newer parts on it ,from brakes,heater core trans serv.,radiator flush,newer tires,new battery,
i dont have alot to do to car just gotta get it to run normally ,i'll have to see if it has 2 pumps , thanx for your help!! by the way what is the EEC IV ,Its writen on hood stamp

112K is not bad mileage for a 25 year old car. I have 160K on mine & this is still considered low for this model year.

EECIV is Fordspeak for 4th generation Electronic Engine Control. This means that you can hook a code reader up to the underhood test connector & pull any trouble codes that the computer has stored in its memory. This could help you find problems such as a bad TPS or MAP sensor; other things which could also cause idle problems.

I was also curious to see if your fuel system was set up the same as mine. I have one fuel pump located in the gas tank. If yours is the same then fuel pressure tests can be done in much the same way and with the same specs as the later model SEFI GT's(39#+/-5# idling).
__________________
85 GT Hatch w/AOD: K&N(of course). True dual exhaust w/91 H-Pipe, Hooker Comp Cat-back & Hooker Aerochamber Mufflers. KYB Struts & Shocks, MM LCA's, Polyurethane Bushings in Struts, Rack & Sway bar, Kenny Brown SFC's, MM Strut Tower Brace & Prothane Motor Mounts. AOD Performance rebuild W/ 2200 stall, shift kit, upgraded Direct clutch, upgraded OD w/ 2" wide AODE band, drum & mechanical diode. Cobra/SVO tail light lens's.
Carbed 306 or Stroker rebuild in the planning stages.

2007 Civic EX Coupe (30+ mpg commuter car, stock [for now] )
Whtstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 05:21 AM   #10
slickshift
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 354
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhair61
...85 gt w/auto trans ,cfi -wont start on own needs help..
First step:
Pull the codes
(you can DIY with a voltmeter http://www.troublecodes.net/Ford/)
__________________
'86 GT that technically doesn't exist
Rear speaker grill-less and butchered for 6x9s
With Accessory Reserve Load springs
Accessory Reserve Load Springs...Whooo Hooo!
The Last Four Eye
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 06:54 AM   #11
longhair61
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whtstang
112K is not bad mileage for a 25 year old car. I have 160K on mine & this is still considered low for this model year.

EECIV is Fordspeak for 4th generation Electronic Engine Control. This means that you can hook a code reader up to the underhood test connector & pull any trouble codes that the computer has stored in its memory. This could help you find problems such as a bad TPS or MAP sensor; other things which could also cause idle problems.

I was also curious to see if your fuel system was set up the same as mine. I have one fuel pump located in the gas tank. If yours is the same then fuel pressure tests can be done in much the same way and with the same specs as the later model SEFI GT's(39#+/-5# idling).




as soon as it stops raining im gonna find out if dual fuel pump ,i think theres only 1, but i'll find out forsure ,an let you know, thanx 4 your help,eeciv, i didnt learn yet what dat was
longhair61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 06:57 AM   #12
longhair61
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshift
First step:
Pull the codes
(you can DIY with a voltmeter http://www.troublecodes.net/Ford/)


THANX SLICK
longhair61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 08:14 PM   #13
Whtstang
Senior Member
 
Whtstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Houston ,TX
Posts: 1,626
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhair61
as soon as it stops raining im gonna find out if dual fuel pump ,i think theres only 1, but i'll find out forsure ,an let you know, thanx 4 your help,eeciv, i didnt learn yet what dat was

http://www.corral.net/tech/maintenance/eecivtest.html
__________________
85 GT Hatch w/AOD: K&N(of course). True dual exhaust w/91 H-Pipe, Hooker Comp Cat-back & Hooker Aerochamber Mufflers. KYB Struts & Shocks, MM LCA's, Polyurethane Bushings in Struts, Rack & Sway bar, Kenny Brown SFC's, MM Strut Tower Brace & Prothane Motor Mounts. AOD Performance rebuild W/ 2200 stall, shift kit, upgraded Direct clutch, upgraded OD w/ 2" wide AODE band, drum & mechanical diode. Cobra/SVO tail light lens's.
Carbed 306 or Stroker rebuild in the planning stages.

2007 Civic EX Coupe (30+ mpg commuter car, stock [for now] )
Whtstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:15 PM   #14
longhair61
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whtstang




thank you ,thank you .man this is so cool ,i just started using puter few years now and what a wealth of knollege i get from it and people like you .
longhair61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 08:28 PM   #15
Jerry: BLACK 85 GT h/b
Ambassador
2009 Donating Member
 
Jerry: BLACK 85 GT h/b's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Winter Haven, FL
Posts: 9,003
Default

See, longhair!!!? I told you you'd get the help you need once you posted here!!!
__________________
Jerry: BLACK 85 h/b




To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. Thomas Jefferson
“The best government is that which governs least.”
variously attributed

A/R "Swirl" wheels
FRPP clutch/flywheel
subframe connectors
BBK catted H-Pipe
Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust
Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold

Click HERE to REGISTER YOUR GT!
Jerry: BLACK 85 GT h/b is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

| Intro Page | Main Page | Info by Year | Register A GT | Statistics | Resources |
| Tech | Links | Photo Gallery | Fun Stuff | Classifieds |
| GT Registry Merchandise | Book, Magazine & Video Store | Affiliate Vendors |


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.