1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry - www.mustanggt.org
Dedicated to the documentation and preservation of
1982-1993 Mustang GT's
since 1994!!
Home | About Us | REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!! | GT Registry Statistics | Info By Year | Reference Gallery
Forums | Classifieds | Interactive Decoders | Production Numbers | GT Articles | Factory Literature | Info Needed | Donations
This message board and web site has been made possible through donations from: List of Contributors THANK YOU!!!!   
1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board  

Welcome to the 1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board!!

We're glad you're here! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view lists of topics, our GT Registry articles & information and access some of our other FREE features. By joining our community, you will have access to read and post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board > Other Topics > The Front Porch
Register FAQ Members List Referrals Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read
Info NEEDED!!REFERENCE GALLERY!!REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!!GT Registry StatsInfo By YearAbout Us

The Front Porch Kick back, relax and get to know everybody - tell us about yourself, share stories, bench race, talk about non 1982-1993 GT related topics, etc. (This is NOT anything goes - please keep it clean and civil!) NO political posts, please. Also, please do not list items for sale here - they will be deleted without notice.

Old 04-14-2001, 06:06 PM   #1
Wes93GT

Unhappy

Well, I thought I'd never say this, but I may be in the market to sell my GT. It's getting expensive (still making payments!) and here's the kicker: I can buy my dad's totally original totally mint (and I'm serious) 1986 SVO for $9000 CANADIAN. I know I shouldn't bother asking here cause all of you guys are GT fans (and so am I), but think about it objectively.

In 1986, with premium fuel, the SVO's turbo four was rated at 200 HP @ 5000 RPM and 240 lbs/ft Torque @ 3000 RPM. That's decent for a 2.3L! On a good day, the stick cars will do 0-60 in 6.8 seconds. That'll beat a stock 5.0 with an automatic.

In 1986, 3382 SVOs were built. Compare that to in 1993 when 26,101 GT's were built. For every one 1986 SVO there are 7.7 1993 GT's. In total (1984-1986) there were just under 10,000 SVO's produced, wheras between 1987-1993 there were 1.2 million GT's produced. What car is rarer/likelier to be a collectors item?

The SVO, although it doesn't have the 5.0 grunt, is quick. It really shines in the corners, where the adjustable KONIS and lighter front end make for a wonderful driving experience. For red light racing, the 5.0 is the obvious choice but for autocrossing, stock to stock, an SVO will tune on a 5.0, even the 1993 Cobra.

So guys, after all this I ask you "What should I do? It's still a Stang, so I'm not a total sellout. The car is in perfect shape and has been treated wonderfully its whole life. Here are some current pics. Please help!

------------------

1993 Mustang GT Cobra
Canadians can bring it...
Blue5Liter.com

[This message has been edited by Wes93GT (edited 04-14-2001).]
Old 04-14-2001, 07:25 PM   #2
Red85GT
2010 Donating Member

Thumbs up

Wes, I dont think that i would blame you or call you a sellout for wanting the SVO, heck I would sell my 85GT for an SVO of that kind MINT status and looks of the SVO your dad owns.. And like you said there were so many GT's made VS an all original and low production and you know exactly where it's comeing from and you already know who it has been well taken care of without haveing to think of all the questions to ask the owner before you purchase from someone that you don't know.. And just think of the heads that, that SVO will turn.. I say go for it dude, buy the SVO..
Joe
Red85GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2001, 08:04 PM   #3
Mick

If you want it for collector status or to show then go for it.

Performance wise, it's not worth the money. That's thee biggest reason they sold less than 10,000 over 3 years - you could buy a quicker GT for $6000 less.

------------------
1983 Mustang GT 306/T-5(project in progress)
1994 Ranger Splash 4.0L/A4LD(daily driver)
Old 04-14-2001, 08:24 PM   #4
Topless88

Wes, its a nice stang alright but does your Dad have to sell it now? If he can wait I say wait and hopefully but it down the road. Hate to see you let your 93 go. Its one of the nicest I've seen and the SVO is more of a car you keep in the garage for collector status now to keep the miles off etc. Obviously your choice but talk it over with your Dad if I were you. Too bad your not in Toronto.
Old 04-14-2001, 09:46 PM   #5
Snake

How are parts availability and what are the parts prices compared to a GT on the Island? I've got a place you can keep it down on East Gorge hahaha
Did the Nanaimo Courtney run on the new highway, real nice,Sure saves a lot of time to the River.
Nice looking unit by the way!!

[This message has been edited by Snake (edited 04-14-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Snake (edited 04-14-2001).]
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2001, 10:37 PM   #6
speedy_stang

Thumbs down

If I were you I would keep the 93, especially since its so nice. If I took the SVO, I think I would end up regretting it very much. I would think long and hard about giving up a GT that nice.
speedy_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2001, 02:00 AM   #7
Wes93GT

Quote:
Originally posted by Mick:
If you want it for collector status or to show then go for it.
I would love to enter it in show competitions, and there's very little doubt that it will be worth more than my 1993 (although my car is decent, it has more milage, is less "special" and it has been repainted.) The SVO is all original... you can literally eat off the underside. A 93 GT is replaceable, but this car isn't... it's a better investment.
It's been in the rain less than 10 times!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mick:
Performance wise, it's not worth the money. That's thee biggest reason they sold less than 10,000 over 3 years - you could buy a quicker GT for $6000 less.
I understand that the 5.0 was about a half second quicker to 60, and similar advantages in the quarter. The deal today (15 years later) is that the SVO isn't $6000 more than my GT, it's $2000 less. At the time that's why the SVO didn't sell well (it was targeted more towards BMW drivers than hardcore drag-racers.) For the current price, milage etc. wouldn't the SVO be a superior all around performer? From what I've read and understand the better weight distribution, Konis, and four-wheel discs make for what has been called "the best handling Mustang ever produced." Of course this is untrue today (ie. 2000 Cobra R) however for me, who is far more interested in a road course than a drag-strip, would the SVO be a better option than my 5.0? Remember too that I have very little money to spend on mods. Stock performance is most important right now (potentially the SVO can be upgraded too with a T4 turbo @ 24psi and engine work that wouldn't affect the stock appearance.)

Quote:
Originally posted by Topless88:
does your Dad have to sell it now?
Unfortunately it has to go... too much money tied up in too many cars. If I could get him to wait I'd have both but I don't think that'll be an option.

I just need some more feedback, please all opinions are welcome!

------------------

1993 Mustang GT Cobra
Blue5Liter.com
Old 04-15-2001, 02:21 AM   #8
LSG85GT

I personally always loved the looks of the SVO but I hated the lack of real power. A V-8 was the engine for this car. If you think your 93 is getting expensive then you maybe in for a rude awakening with the SVO. Like you said, only so few were made, then what do you think the parts for the SVO are going to cost you? Most of the parts for the earlier Mustangs are becoming obsolete. I know because I have an 85 GT. If I need a so called "OEM" part, I have to pay premium price or go to a junk yard to see if I get lucky. I looked into some dealers who stock 82-93 Mustang parts, new or used, and usually the 87-93 parts are more abundant and way cheaper. As for the SVO parts, they usually say "Call", so that means that they probably do not have it or that they do not want you to go into shock when you see the price. If you don't believe me, go to www.stangparts.com or www.mustangparts.com.
I would love to have the SVO looks with the GT power but to keep it running, is going to take some major $$$$. Just food for thought.

------------------
Two Ponies (85GT & 95GTS) and a Bug.
LSG85GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2001, 02:28 AM   #9
Wes93GT

Quote:
Originally posted by LSG85GT :
the lack of real power.
This is the main trouble I'm having. I know from driving it that the SVO deos not haul a** like my GT does, but I think I could make up for it in the twisties. It's also a lot easier to keep the power under control (esp. in wet weather) with a spooling turbo than the instant torque of the V8.

Quote:
Originally posted by LSG85GT :
to keep it running, is going to take some major $$$$
I have to disagree. The compression was just done and the results were AS NEW figures. The engine is tight on thhis car. Full boost is achieved easily with premium fuel with no detonation. Remember the car only has 30000 miles on it and it has obviously never been abused. If I treat it like my GT, it should need nothing for as long as I own it (side from a battery or plugs lol.)

------------------

1993 Mustang GT Cobra
Blue5Liter.com

[This message has been edited by Wes93GT (edited 04-15-2001).]
Old 04-15-2001, 03:41 AM   #10
Mick

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Wes93GT:
I can buy my dad's totally original totally mint (and I'm serious) 1986 SVO...I would love to enter it in show competitions, and there's very little doubt that it will be worth more than my 1993...The SVO is all original...you can literally eat off the underside. A 93 GT is replaceable, but this car isn't...it's a better investment. It's been in the rain less than 10 times!...The deal today (15 years later) is that the SVO isn't $6000 more than my GT, it's $2000 less...Remember the car only has 30000 miles on it and it has obviously never been abused.
Exactly why I responded "If you want it for collector status or to show then go for it", especially considering the immaculate condition of the car(trust me, the SVO is worth a lot more than $9000(CAN) to those who are looking for these cars in that condition). If that's why you are purchasing the vehicle and intend to keep it in the condition it's in now then I say buy it! However....

Quote:
for me, who is far more interested in a road course than a drag-strip, would the SVO be a better option than my 5.0?...From what I've read and understand the better weight distribution, Konis, and four-wheel discs make for what has been called "the best handling Mustang ever produced."...I know from driving it that the SVO does not haul a** like my GT does, but I think I could make up for it in the twisties. It's also a lot easier to keep the power under control (esp. in wet weather) with a spooling turbo than the instant torque of the V8.
Yes, the F/R weight distribution, shocks/struts, tires, 4-wheel disc brakes make for an outstanding vehicle on the racetrack..BUT..are you actually going to drive daily aggresively and/or autocross this "investment"? If you are then it's not really going to be an investment as the collector and show value will decrease as mileage increases and OE parts are replaced from wear of daily driving duty and racing. Low mileage and 'all original' vehicles always command higher resale prices than cars of the opposite condition of the same year, make, and model.

Quote:
I have very little money to spend on mods. Stock performance is most important right now{potentially the SVO can be upgraded too with a T4 turbo @ 24psi and engine work that wouldn't affect the stock appearance.)
Again, are you buying the car as an investment or do you plan on upgrading and replacing stock(there's that collector value again) parts and driving daily and race it? Don't tell me you ONLY plan on changing from a t3 to a t3/t04 and engine work to support the upgraded compressor, that's what we all say. The 2.3L costs a lot more to modify for considerable performance gains compared to a 5.0L.

I stand by my original assessment...The Mustang SVO would be a wise investment for collector status and/or show but performance can be had cheaper and more easily with a 5.0L Mustang(then and especially now).

If you are bent on having a well handling Mustang that you can drive daily aggresively and/or autocross then I wouldn't waste money on the collectable SVO.

------------------
1983 Mustang GT 306/T-5(project in progress)
1994 Ranger Splash 4.0L/A4LD(daily driver)
Old 04-15-2001, 04:32 AM   #11
Wes93GT

Wink

Thanks Mick, I appreciate the feedback. I guess that I really won't be doing much rallying in the SVO... I only put on 15-25km per day so milage isn't really a concern. I'm neurotic about the maintenance of my GT, so keeping the car in greatr shape shouldn't be a problem either. After hearing what you had to say I agree that it would be (if anything) for collectible and show status - it would be nice to start with a car that needs nothing instead of building it up. I still have some thinking to do, but I think I could live with the lower power output as a tradeoff for something special. I'll let you guys know what develops!

PS-for anyone who has never driven one of these, do. It's a fanastic experience. The steering (wonderful feel) and the bumblebee exhaust note are very different from a 5.0, but are attractive in a different way!
Thanks again!

------------------

1993 Mustang GT Cobra
Blue5Liter.com
Old 04-15-2001, 06:59 AM   #12
Snake

The 81 'll pull close to 70mph comin up the hill past the mine in Princeton
little 200 inline is getting scarce as hen's teeth,Think I'll keep it!

[This message has been edited by Snake (edited 04-15-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Snake (edited 04-15-2001).]
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2001, 03:45 PM   #13
gmstmpr

wes...go for it...that is a beautiful car...you can always build another gt someday...but when will you ever find an origional unrestored SVO in as good a shape as that? never, especially with that low of a $ sign

gmstmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2001, 05:02 PM   #14
FlowmasterGT

yeah, but look at that paint job on the GT. WOW!!!! Thats all I gotta say.
FlowmasterGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2001, 07:38 AM   #15
Jesbo

Exclamation

Tell your Dad you'll make monthly payments on the SVO, and keep your GT. I saw your site dedicated to painting the beautiful GT, and think you'd regret selling it. But a 30,000 km Silver SVO is pretty much priceless. Do what you have to do.
I'd go for the GT...no wait the SVO... heh, I wish I had your dilemma.