1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry - www.mustanggt.org
Dedicated to the documentation and preservation of
1982-1993 Mustang GT's
since 1994!!
Home | About Us | REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!! | GT Registry Statistics | Info By Year | Reference Gallery
Forums | Classifieds | Interactive Decoders | Production Numbers | GT Articles | Factory Literature | Info Needed | Donations
This message board and web site has been made possible through donations from: List of Contributors THANK YOU!!!!   
1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board  

Welcome to the 1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board!!

We're glad you're here! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view lists of topics, our GT Registry articles & information and access some of our other FREE features. By joining our community, you will have access to read and post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board > Other Topics > The Front Porch
Register FAQ Members List Referrals Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read
Info NEEDED!!REFERENCE GALLERY!!REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!!GT Registry StatsInfo By YearAbout Us

The Front Porch Kick back, relax and get to know everybody - tell us about yourself, share stories, bench race, talk about non 1982-1993 GT related topics, etc. (This is NOT anything goes - please keep it clean and civil!) NO political posts, please. Also, please do not list items for sale here - they will be deleted without notice.

Old 05-13-2001, 03:55 PM   #1
GT Dave

Lightbulb

Many companies today are trying to go to the retro design to come up with something new. Dodge Hemi, Grand Prix G8, C6 Stingray Corvette, etc.

What if Ford were to remake the 3rd generation Fox 5.0 OHV 5.0, 4-wheel disk brakes, 1.5 inch lowered, new rims, ... at a reasonable price.

Wait, wait ... (sorry)

Now I remember, the 5.0 is emission illegal in today's world! 4.00 x 3.00 combustion chamber config is not possible today. Going 3.60 x 3.60 just wouldn't be the same.

Oh, hey ... whatever.

Would you still want the rebirth of the Fox 5.0?
GT Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2001, 06:49 PM   #2
93mustang

Who wouldn't?!?! The fox 5.0 has by far the best body style and engine(s). The only thing I would change is to the SN95 chasis.
93mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2001, 07:43 PM   #3
Wes93GT

YEAH! But put in on the next gen Stang/Jaguar chassis and we'd really be in business!

------------------

1993 Mustang GT Cobra
Canadians can bring it...
Blue5Liter.com
Old 05-15-2001, 07:12 PM   #4
cobracar

Cool

The 2003 stang WILL BE built on the Jaguar platform, as opposed to the current fox platform which originated in 1978. 78-01 stangs share the "fox" platform, with minor changes. The 03 mustang will be longer, lower, wider; just like EVERY new mustang generation has been since 1969.

------------------

Glen Meades, Jr.
1989 Ford Mustang Cobra Conversion
Born on June 2, 1989
cobracar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 07:20 PM   #5
cobracar

Cool

On the other hand, I'd prefer to have SVT build me a 1993 SVT Cobra-based stang with my specifications. Keep the 4-wheel discs, but upgrade to 13"/11.65" rotors, enlarge the fenderwells to accomodate 18"x10.5" wheels lock-to-lock steering, lower the car, stiffen the springs, definately keep the 8.8" live solid rear axle, 302 of course with all the toys making over 400 HP at the flywheel N/A with the option of a blower, put a 96 Cobra-style hood on it, redesign the doors so that they open like the convertibles do (no window frame opening with the door), upgrade the seats to hold you in place, give it tilt steering and cruise, redesign the center console so that it doesn't weight 30 lbs., make the entire car weight just over 2500 lbs., and finally more the radio/CD area ****her up in the dash so you can insert a CD without having to move the shifter!

What do you guys think?

------------------

Glen Meades, Jr.
1989 Ford Mustang Cobra Conversion
Born on June 2, 1989
cobracar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2001, 01:14 AM   #6
bigbob

Did u say the 5.0 will not pass an emissions test.
bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2001, 02:00 AM   #7
GT Dave

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by bigbob:
Did u say the 5.0 will not pass an emissions test.
Oh, no. It will pass, if it is in good condition. The 5.0 simply doesn't have a place in today's strict-emmisions world. Ford could never make such a 5.0.

Which is why we got the 4.6 in the first place. Longer stroke gives it more burning time, hence cleaner emissions.

The 5.0 is a case of an "over-square" engine. It's assigned to any engine with its bore longer than its stroke. A rare sort of thing today.

The short stroke means quick revving ability, but poor emissions. However, stock 5.0 is not an effective setup. The stock induction is closer to a truck setup. It creates low-end torque. Torque starts high and drops off quickly. This is not a big deal, just change heads and intake. Torque at 300 and HP at 300 is what it should have been.

In short, I want the 5.0 back. A square engine wouldn't be bad, but it would have to be big enough, in my opinion.
Old 05-28-2001, 02:38 PM   #8
83RedGT

If you go to Motortrend.com. The future vehicle section says that the 2003 Cobra will be getting a new 5.0L powerplant with 350 HP.
Old 05-28-2001, 10:52 PM   #9
Topless88

Cool

OK...make the 2003 GT the equivalent of the 2000 Cobra R, Then lets see what they do to the SVT and new Cobra R. I really don't care as long as I can pull beside an SS Camaro and walk away from him like I was racing a Chevette. Ford needs to step up to the plate and really crank some serious hp and torque figures to rejuvenate the stang and also make it within a reasonable "budget". Sometimes what Ford forgets is that us folks that are driving their Mustangs are also driving their P/U's, etc. Keep us happy or another manufacturer will. Its unbelieveable that these import manufacturers are producing "Sedans" with some HP and torque figures that would rival most factory Camaro or Stang out there. Ford can't keep relying on the name Mustang to automatically induce sales. I hope their listening. Go grass roots, power and affordability. If they build it we will buy it.Sorry but sometimes I just get p***** off.
Old 06-01-2001, 12:33 AM   #10
GT Dave

Question

Here's more information on the future 5.0 I agree with a lot that's written here, except one thing. The new 5.0 will probably not be sold at the old 5.0 prices.

http://www.bluegrassmustang.com/articles.htm