1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry - www.mustanggt.org
Dedicated to the documentation and preservation of
1982-1993 Mustang GT's
since 1994!!
Home | About Us | REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!! | GT Registry Statistics | Info By Year | Reference Gallery
Forums | Classifieds | Interactive Decoders | Production Numbers | GT Articles | Factory Literature | Info Needed | Donations
This message board and web site has been made possible through donations from: List of Contributors THANK YOU!!!!   
1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board  

Welcome to the 1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board!!

We're glad you're here! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view lists of topics, our GT Registry articles & information and access some of our other FREE features. By joining our community, you will have access to read and post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board > Other Topics > The Front Porch
Register FAQ Members List Referrals Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read
Info NEEDED!!REFERENCE GALLERY!!REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!!GT Registry StatsInfo By YearAbout Us

The Front Porch Kick back, relax and get to know everybody - tell us about yourself, share stories, bench race, talk about non 1982-1993 GT related topics, etc. (This is NOT anything goes - please keep it clean and civil!) NO political posts, please. Also, please do not list items for sale here - they will be deleted without notice.

Old 03-25-2001, 04:55 AM   #1
smokedu

Question

I have a friend at school who thinks he can smoke 5.0's in his new 1.8 Turbo Golf. He put a chip in it and he thinks he's tuff stuff. Whith 170 HP and like 200 Torque, how fast could he be. Maybe off the line but I personally think I will kill him once my car grips. What do you guys think? Why does everyone think 5.0's are slow anyway?
smokedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2001, 09:46 AM   #2
Topless88

Wink

The little VW might be quick but not quick enough for a 5.0 in my opinion. Who thinks 5.0's are slow??? They obviously don't know much about cars or are talking out their a**. If your at all curious and this is a brand new VW...drop in to a local VW dealer and read the brochure which will give you all the specs including 1/4 mile ET's quite often. I'm not sure what you have done with your car yet but there are a number of performance enhancing options you can do to your car for little or no money. IE air box silencer, timing, TPS, K&N etc.
Old 03-25-2001, 06:16 PM   #3
Chris-90LX
Ambassador
2010 Donating Member

Out of curiosity maybe some current magazines have road tested those VW's.
Sometimes you can be surprised, but unless the VW has 14 second potential I wouldn't take this guy too serously.
Chris-90LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2001, 03:20 AM   #4
smokedu

Wink

I just checked out the Volkswagen site and their fastest golf (2.8 GTI) does 0-60 in an imbarrasing 7.7 seconds. The one he has does it in 8.2 seconds. I just don't get these import owners and why they think they can smoke 5.0's. I can't wait to see him on the road and imbarasse him in front of everybody just like I did to this guy in a fierro at my school. He thought he was fast when he put a 3.4 Camaro engine in it, till I killed him by about 5 car lengths in front of everyone at the bus stop in front of my school while lighting the tires up for about 30 feet. Once again another reason why you shouldn't buy anything but a Ford.

Old 03-26-2001, 03:30 AM   #5
Wes93GT

He may be on the right track. Here's why:
I watched an episode of "Trucks" not long ago and they were working on a Dodge Ram cummins turbo diesel. With a module they added to the computer (reprograms the turbo/fuel curve etc.) they picked up 70hp and over 100lbs/ft of torque! It has something to do with the turbo engine. A NA car wouldn't even come close to these numbers with just a chip.

Your friend can probably take most 5.0s off the line. Just wait until you hit second and leave him in the dust! I think 5.0s have a bad rep from the "importers" like your friend becuase honestly 5.0s are getting old.

Remember... 5L-1.8L = you just kicked his ***!

------------------

1993 Mustang GT Cobra Hatchback
Canadians can bring it...
Blue5Liter.com
Old 03-26-2001, 11:35 AM   #6
Chris-90LX
Ambassador
2010 Donating Member

The V8 engine always has power on tap. There is no waiting for a Turbo to spool up, and no waiting for over 4,000 RPM to get into the power curve.

And that's before we modify them!

Chris-90LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 09:24 PM   #7
fastrnyou

Angry

don't doubt turbo's. My 3000GT has 300+HP and runs sub 14 1/4 times stock.

------------------
1995 3000GT VR4, 1987 stang GT, 1995 ZX6R.
fastrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 09:26 PM   #8
fastrnyou

ok... lemme try again. mine's a 91, *runs 9.5 PSI stock* i run 12psi, which is what 94+ 3k's run stock.

------------------
Old 03-29-2001, 11:47 PM   #9
Baywolf

i think alot of school age kids dont have the respect a 5.0 deserves because as you said they are getting older and second they dont exactly hook up the best and most kids i have seen driving them just lit up the tires trying to launch

many of the jap cars times wouldnt be nearly as low if they had the traction problems of a mustang
Baywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2001, 05:42 PM   #10
fastrnyou

i know they wouldn't have as fast 1/4 mile times IF they had the traction prob BUT, they dont. My AWD has an advantage over a stang becuase of traction, just like a stang has the advantages of: less expensive, more aftermarket parts, almost 1000lb's lighter, did i mention less expensive.

Some people are so quick to say "well you have AWD thats why you are faster" but they dont look at all of the disadvantages of AWD. Once you get moving AWD is just more drag, thats it.

If i want to upgrade stuff on my 3k i have to sell a kidney, or crack *in this area of the country the crack is more widely use j/k*

I have friends with ricer cars, old cars, stangs, just about everything. and Just about EVERY car has advantages, dont over look em or your end up looking at tail lights

------------------
Old 04-01-2001, 02:14 AM   #11
smokedu

Cool

all a better reason to get 3.73s and bigger tires. I will have all the advantages. Except for braking. My car can't stop worth crap. It sucks and it's scary.