1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry - www.mustanggt.org
Dedicated to the documentation and preservation of
1982-1993 Mustang GT's
since 1994!!
Home | About Us | REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!! | GT Registry Statistics | Info By Year | Reference Gallery
Forums | Classifieds | Interactive Decoders | Production Numbers | GT Articles | Factory Literature | Info Needed | Donations
This message board and web site has been made possible through donations from: List of Contributors THANK YOU!!!!   
1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board  

Welcome to the 1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board!!

We're glad you're here! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view lists of topics, our GT Registry articles & information and access some of our other FREE features. By joining our community, you will have access to read and post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board > Other Topics > The Front Porch
Register FAQ Members List Referrals Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read
Info NEEDED!!REFERENCE GALLERY!!REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!!GT Registry StatsInfo By YearAbout Us

The Front Porch Kick back, relax and get to know everybody - tell us about yourself, share stories, bench race, talk about non 1982-1993 GT related topics, etc. (This is NOT anything goes - please keep it clean and civil!) NO political posts, please. Also, please do not list items for sale here - they will be deleted without notice.

Old 06-04-2001, 03:27 AM   #1
Scarletwind

Cool

Since recently joining the registry, you guys have been great! The reponses to a tech question has enabled me to start troubleshooting somewhere. Thought I'd take the opportunity to introduce myself and a little about my 89GT. I've owned her since 1992. At the time, she had 42,000. I about fell over. A three year old car with some serious mileage! The dealership gave me the name of the original owner prior to buying it. I called and learned he had traded the car reluctantly for a Chevy Suburban. Since he had kids, the Mustang was just too small. He informed me that he was in the service and that the high mileage was due to several trips from the east coast to Phoenix, AZ. The car was in super shape despite. So with that information, I bought her on election day in 1992 for $8,200. Since then, the car has rarely let me down. Maybe if I had not made any mods, she would have been repair free. Like many, I looked at all the performance stuff out there. It can be trying having so much out there with so many claims of this and that. I got caught up in the newer is better syndrome and complete obsession. Just ask the muffler shop who has installed the 4 sets of mufflers in the last 9 years. I started off removing the cats on the pipes and flowmasters. Then a set of dynomax, a pair of aero chambers which were my favorite, but they ended up cracking around the base. Finally the current set of flow tech afterburners. Guess you get what you pay for. At the earliest convienence they will be history. I'll be going back to the flowmasters. Guess you live and learn. When the car had 50,000 miles I installed the first and only engine modification to date. A Paxton SN93 6lb. supercharger. Many of my Mustang friends were died in the wool Vortech fans. Guess I wanted to be different. For me, the selling point of the Paxton was the intercooler and the self contained lubrication design. I saved like a mule to buy it. I considered heads, cam. and that sort of stuff, but after reading a ton of tech articles, I felt the blower would serve the same purpose without having to tear down the engine. Any modifications afterwards would only enhance the performance. I never got around to doing anything else. Today, the car has 182,000 with the same SN93 Paxton. Over the years, I had the car repainted 3 times due to it being a hit magnet in parking lots. I gave up trying. Today, the Myrtle Beach sun has faded the once gorgeous bright regatta blue. After a number of years and thoughts of selling her, I just couldn't part with it. I'm going to once try again. This time with the stuff I always wanted. Fiberglass hood, a Dugan spoiler, and a set of Weld drag lites. Rather than rebuild the original motor, a crate engine for me is the best bet when the time comes. Guess I qualify as an old timer being 39 years old. Many of my Mustang friends back home used to cruise in packs on the weekends, taking turns at every red light humiliating every GM product that was frisky enough. Since moving from that area a couple of years back. I found my new residence to be animic of the pony cars on a local level. From the tourist arena, popular Ocean Blvd. is flooded with more stangs that the eye can see. Unfortunately, the majority being jerks who seemed to have something to prove, at least to the fellow Mustang enthusiast along side in traffic instead of junior and his Z-28. Well I've flapped my jaws enough for now. I look forward to getting to know everyone on the registry, and of course your advice along the way is invaluable to me. Thanks guys.
Scarletwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2001, 04:17 AM   #2
Mick

Welcome!

I hope you enjoy as much as everyone else does.

------------------
1983 Mustang GT 306/T-5(project in progress)
1994 Ranger Splash 4.0L/A4LD(daily driver)
Old 06-04-2001, 05:05 AM   #3
mike g
2010 Donating Member

congrats on finding this fine place!

and your story about your car and you was awesome thx for the info =)
mike g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2001, 08:35 AM   #4
Donnie

Welcome. I, too, have thought about getting rid of my '86 GT but every time I get close, I just can't seem to depart from it. I have reached the point with my car where everything she needs now is going to cost big money (restored interior and/or new heads, intake, convert to Mass Air, etc). Is a 15 year-old car worth putting several more thousand dollars into? I already have close to $5,000 and countless hours invested already. Hmmm...
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2001, 05:49 PM   #5
Red85GT
2010 Donating Member

Smile

Welcome to the Registry.
Joe
Red85GT is offline   Reply With Quote