1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry - www.mustanggt.org
Dedicated to the documentation and preservation of
1982-1993 Mustang GT's
since 1994!!
Home | About Us | REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!! | GT Registry Statistics | Info By Year | Reference Gallery
Forums | Classifieds | Interactive Decoders | Production Numbers | GT Articles | Factory Literature | Info Needed | Donations
This message board and web site has been made possible through donations from: List of Contributors THANK YOU!!!!   
1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board  

Welcome to the 1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board!!

We're glad you're here! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view lists of topics, our GT Registry articles & information and access some of our other FREE features. By joining our community, you will have access to read and post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board > Other Topics > Members Helping Members
Register FAQ Members List Referrals Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read
Info NEEDED!!REFERENCE GALLERY!!REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!!GT Registry StatsInfo By YearAbout Us

Members Helping Members Need a car or part looked at out of your area?? Need help with something else far away? Post here and get help from or help out a fellow GT Registry member.

Old 11-12-2006, 06:31 PM   #1
ipchay61

Default '89 GT question

I've found a black '89 GT for sale. Original owner (mechanic @ local Ford dealereship), never been wrecked but was repainted ~2yrs ago due to suns effects on paint & clearcoat. Original interior (no seat rips or worn spots), new carpet, AC changed to R134, only things not original are water pump, alternator, and mufflers. Black / gray interior. Everything works even has original stereo but has added a remote 6 disc CD changer. 121,xxx miles on it. He is asking $5500 obo. Good deal?

Chip in SC
ipchay61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 07:20 PM   #2
1993 Mustang GT3
2009 Donating Member

Auto or stick? I think that sounds pretty good if it is as nice as it sounds.

Jeff
1993 Mustang 5.0 GT >145,000 miles Electric Red w/ Titanium, Opal Grey interior, 5-speed, u/d pulleys, K&N panel filter, 3.08's, Blaster coil, MSD 8.5 mm wires, timing advanced 14 degrees, Proform electric fan and 130 amp alt, welded SFC's, Flowmasters, stock H pipe, Hurst shifter, sometimes street tires and other times M/T drag radials.

# of drag strip passes: 41
Race weight- 3,400lbs

on Street tires
Best -mile time- 14.24 @ 96.13 MPH
Best 60-ft time- 2.101 sec.

w/Drag Radials
Best -mile time- 13.92 @ 97.88
Best 60-ft time- 1.975
1993 Mustang GT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 10:43 PM   #3
ipchay61

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993 Mustang GT3
Auto or stick? I think that sounds pretty good if it is as nice as it sounds.

Jeff
It's a stick.....that's exactly what I'm looking for. He has replaced the clutch several years ago with a Ford racing replacement. Let's see, another option is a sunroof which doesn't appear to leak.

Chip
Old 11-13-2006, 09:21 AM   #4
solar

Sounds pretty good, but I'd try to get him down about $1000 on the price. If you think the sunroof might leak, run a water hose over it for a couple of minutes. And if the owner has a problem with it, then maybe he knows there's a leak.
solar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 04:00 PM   #5
David

Smile

i would get a carfax and make sure of the mileage, also to find out if it has ever been in any trouble

86 coupe all motor silver11.77 @117 now going 434w/ 94mmturbo going for 7.30 nmra legal

86 gt t tops black 11.3 @ 125 registered
87 gt dd
88gt 3x black supercharged conv sold
89 gt "oscar the grouch" sold
88 coupe red, to much to list
89 hatch black 4cly sold
91 hatch too much to list
00 gt performance red to much to list
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:51 AM   #6
Chris-90LX
Ambassador
2010 Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipchay61
I've found a black '89 GT for sale. Original owner (mechanic @ local Ford dealereship), never been wrecked but was repainted ~2yrs ago due to suns effects on paint & clearcoat. Original interior (no seat rips or worn spots), new carpet, AC changed to R134, only things not original are water pump, alternator, and mufflers. Black / gray interior. Everything works even has original stereo but has added a remote 6 disc CD changer. 121,xxx miles on it. He is asking $5500 obo. Good deal?

Chip in SC
I can quickly see this becoming a $5k car.

Being a well documented and cared for car with very acceptable mileage, $5 isn’t too bad at all. 120k miles is nothing for a pampered and maintained roller motor.

Yes, there are many $2k examples out there. Do the math! By the time you straighten them out and get the cosmetics as good as this one is, where are you?

With good, straight and solid originals being few and far between, many GT’s are now solid $4k cars.

It is always better to pay a little more for something worth it (up front) than to get nickeled and dimed to death fixing other cars.
Chris-90LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:55 PM   #7
ipchay61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-90LX
I can quickly see this becoming a $5k car.

Being a well documented and cared for car with very acceptable mileage, $5 isn’t too bad at all. 120k miles is nothing for a pampered and maintained roller motor.

Yes, there are many $2k examples out there. Do the math! By the time you straighten them out and get the cosmetics as good as this one is, where are you?

With good, straight and solid originals being few and far between, many GT’s are now solid $4k cars.

It is always better to pay a little more for something worth it (up front) than to get nickeled and dimed to death fixing other cars.
Drove it today, checked everything and all seemed to be in great working order. A lot different than my '07 but it would be silly to think they would be the same. The only possible problem area I could find was a small steering rack leak. Absolutely no sign of water leaks around the sunroof. Getting the car tomorrow (if he doesn't back out) for $4850. He seems really attached to it. Even gave me the original 1989 sales brochure from when he bought it and an unopened pack of "Mustang" cigarettes that came with the car. I'll get it registered and post pics when I pick it up.

On another, similar note, I just bought my younger daughter a 1990 Mustang LX vert. It's got the 2.3L 4 cylinder with an automatic transmission. Car has a documented 52,xxx miles on it. There are some things that it needs like the rear quarter windows don't work (can hear the motor but they dont move), drivers power lock switch doesn't work (passenger side switch will lock and unlock both doors so it's not the actuator), and the airbag light flashes (code 6 I think) but you expect an inexpensive 17 year old car to have some issues and these are things we can fix together.

Chip in SC

Last edited by ipchay61; 11-16-2006 at 08:12 PM..
Old 11-16-2006, 10:46 PM   #8
Chris-90LX
Ambassador
2010 Donating Member

Keep us posted Chip!

This is what most of us are going to have pay soon for a clean stick car.

There are plenty of fixer-uppers out there, but a straight and solid car is always the better buy. Plus it has fresh paint!
Chris-90LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 03:53 PM   #9
ipchay61

Default finally got them both home (pics)

Ok...the LX and GT are both home, registered and licensed to drive. Here are the pics. Sorry, the quality isn't great, it was my camera phone. GT is an '89, LX is a '90.

2007 Mustang GT Vista Blue
1998 Mustang GT Laser Red
1990 Mustang LX vert Crystal Blue
1989 Mustang GT Black
Old 11-19-2006, 08:18 PM   #10
BDBYS59
2009 Donating Member

They look sweet Chip,, the window may be stuck,, got somewhat the same problem with my 89 vert (window goes down but not up). Ifn ya every get down Charleston way give me a holler. I get up there every now and then...
BDBYS59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:05 AM   #11
HoosierBuddy

"Let's see, another option is a sunroof which doesn't appear to leak"

I thought that a sunroof was not a factory option for an '89 GT.

Mine has one, but I assumed it was an aftermarket job.

By the way, your car looks pretty identical to mine with similar mileage. Mine was $2500. It needed new brakes, a new water pump, a new battery, a new fuel pump, a new coolant reservoir, 4 new tires, a new stereo head unit/rust repair on the rear quarters, and I haven't even got into the air conditioning system yet...other than to try to turn it on and see it doesn't work.

Oh...it could use a new paint job now that I'm done fixing the rear quarters.

So...I think YOU got the deal, not me, if you catch my drift.

Phil
HoosierBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:23 AM   #12
gregpro50

I actually think that sounds like a bit much for the mileage of the car and it being a repaint and everything. It looks nice in the pic though.

I paid $2200 for my black '92 GT about three years ago. It had 72,000 miles on it when I got it. The pics are in my member gallery under my avitar there.

There are good deals out there if you just look around.
'82 GT T-top
'85 asc McLaren coupe
'86 SVO 2R
'87 Fiero GT 3800 V6 supercharged
'90 GT vert
'92 GT
'94 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC
gregpro50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 01:29 PM   #13
MustangGTorg-David
GT Registry Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregpro50
I actually think that sounds like a bit much for the mileage of the car and it being a repaint and everything. It looks nice in the pic though.
Good one. So Kathy's 65 has had a 1/4 panel replaced and a paint job and has over 100k....so thats $2000 and some dollar car also

ipchay61: In the real world you got a GREAT deal. Wow thats a sweet looking car I would have given $5500 for it and not felt bad. The days of $2500 for a car in that condition are for the most part gone. As for the paint job, no big deal. Its an 18 year old car, getting a paint job is not that big of deal as long as it was done well. Krista's '92... well the blues ok, but it still sure wouldn't hurt to have it reshot.

1965 Mustang Coupe
1991 Mustang GT Hatchback
1991 Mustang GT Hatchback (given to youngest daughter)
1991 Mustang GT convert (sold to ???)
1992 Mustang GT Hatchback (given to oldest daughter)
MustangGTorg-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 08:39 PM   #14
Bossnutt

That thing looks beautiful.
Bossnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 05:54 PM   #15
ipchay61

Most of the stuff that needs to be replaced with age has already been done in the past few years. Water pump, alternator, clutch, rear springs & struts, rotors & pads. He had it tuned up a few years ago but didn't replace the TFI Module. As luck would have it, it went out yesterday (or, I think it did). We were driving down the road and the car just cut off. Pulled into a parking lot (luckily right where my older daughter works) and it wouldn't restart. Would turn over but not catch. Went back this morning and she fired right up. I had already bought the TFI module and tool so we replaced them and the one we took off appeared to be the original one. Ran fine on the way home. Hope that was the problem. Any thoughts on other things that might have caused it to cut off?

2007 Mustang GT Vista Blue
1998 Mustang GT Laser Red
1990 Mustang LX vert Crystal Blue
1989 Mustang GT Black

Last edited by ipchay61; 12-09-2006 at 05:56 PM..