1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry - www.mustanggt.org
Dedicated to the documentation and preservation of
1982-1993 Mustang GT's
since 1994!!
Home | About Us | REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!! | GT Registry Statistics | Info By Year | Reference Gallery
Forums | Classifieds | Interactive Decoders | Production Numbers | GT Articles | Factory Literature | Info Needed | Donations
This message board and web site has been made possible through donations from: List of Contributors THANK YOU!!!!   
1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board  

Welcome to the 1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board!!

We're glad you're here! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view lists of topics, our GT Registry articles & information and access some of our other FREE features. By joining our community, you will have access to read and post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board > Restoration and Originality > Production and Originality
Register FAQ Members List Referrals Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read
Info NEEDED!!REFERENCE GALLERY!!REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!!GT Registry StatsInfo By YearAbout Us

Production and Originality Questions on original equipment, specs, etc. Is my car rare? Is it really a GT? What is it worth? It is original?

Old 10-24-2017, 09:33 PM   #1
Bobs88CobraGT

Smile The Importance of Your Mustang's Buck Tag

The Buck Tag, is by far, the most important thing attached to your car.It tells the welders what kind of car to build , such as a GT hatchback, with or without optional roof or a
convertible and so on. The tag is metal so it can withstand the hours of welding it takes to join together 2000 pounds of steel to build the chassis of the car. Then the tag is subjected to cleaning so the rust inhibiting coating can be applied and then dried in the ovens . This is
followed by the paint. The tag tells the painter which color to apply and then the paint is dried in the ovens. Of course the vin number is on the tag along with the build date. THE MOST IMPORTANT NUMBER IS THE LEAST UNDERSTOOD NUMBER. THE BUCK TAG NUMBER is not a rotation number . It is actually a sequential number that is created at the instant the buck tag is created. This number starts at 0001 and goes on to 9999 and flips back to 0000 and then to 0001 again and so on. EVERY NUMBER IS IN ORDER AND DIFFERENT. The car at the front of the line will always have a lower number than the car behind. This system allows the people building the daily line to take any car they want to build, regardless of vin number, buck it and place it in line as the next sequential car in line. Gt's are mostly done this way because Ford got more money for them and Ford needed a cash flow. With this system it should be possible to figure out what number your car is compared to the first car . Also you could figure out what was the color of the car painted before your car . You could figure the first and last day of production, like in 1982,
I can not find any numbers. I would guess that there are many Mustangers out there who would like to know stuff. Who has the first and last 1988 GT t- roof HATCHBACK. If you have any questions put them on this thread .
Old 10-27-2017, 04:00 PM   #2
82gtstang

The number on the buck tag (end of 2nd line 1982 thru1987, begin of 1st line 1988 and later) IS the rotations number for the body & paint line at the plant.
82gtstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:44 PM   #3
Bobs88CobraGT

Smile Thanking you for the new information

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82gtstang View Post
The number on the buck tag (end of 2nd line 1982 thru1987, begin of 1st line 1988 and later) IS the rotations number for the body & paint line at the plant.
Thanks 82gtstang; I never realized that the 1987 and the 1988 buck tags were different.The Registry could now add this to he other differences between the two years. I have also been trying to find out how the " rotation number for the body and paint line " works and what does it mean, as far as production goes. Any help here would be great. I'm guessing, but it appears that you have or may have had an 82 gt. I'm doing some work with car numbers as related to all the years in the registry. What I need is the first day of production for 1982. Any ideas, anybody?
Old 11-10-2017, 02:44 PM   #4
82gtstang

Read this article for a good understanding of the ROT number. http://www.mustangandfords.com/featu...rias-findings/
Old 12-02-2017, 09:58 PM   #5
82gtstang

• Model: GL/GT 5.0L Hatchback
  • Vin. ID: P16F
  • Production Began: 9-11-81
  • Production Ended: 8-6-82
Source: Third Generation News and Beyond

Last edited by 82gtstang; 12-02-2017 at 10:08 PM..