1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry - www.mustanggt.org
Dedicated to the documentation and preservation of
1982-1993 Mustang GT's
since 1994!!
Home | About Us | REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!! | GT Registry Statistics | Info By Year | Reference Gallery
Forums | Classifieds | Interactive Decoders | Production Numbers | GT Articles | Factory Literature | Info Needed | Donations
This message board and web site has been made possible through donations from: List of Contributors THANK YOU!!!!   
1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board  

Welcome to the 1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board!!

We're glad you're here! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view lists of topics, our GT Registry articles & information and access some of our other FREE features. By joining our community, you will have access to read and post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board > General Tech > Maintenance, Troubleshooting and Diagnosis
Register FAQ Members List Referrals Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read
Info NEEDED!!REFERENCE GALLERY!!REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!!GT Registry StatsInfo By YearAbout Us

Maintenance, Troubleshooting and Diagnosis Need help? Having troubles with your GT? Need some maintenance tips? Ask your questions here.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:51 AM   #1
Robbie

Default Ignition control module problem

I'm about to replace my 4th module in two years. I have used the heat proof grease and they still continue to fry. Never over the winter only the summer. Any one who has an answer to my problem I will pray over your mustang every day for a long and prosperous life! The easy answer would be to drive only in the winter lol.
How stupid was Ford for mounting the dang thing on the distributor in the first place.
Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:35 PM   #2
Snake

didn't th 89's move them to the front of the engine compartment? be interesting to see how they did that.

Last edited by Snake; 06-15-2009 at 05:14 PM..
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:15 PM   #3
Snake

didn't the 89's move them to the front of the engine compartment? be interesting to see how they did that.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:22 PM   #4
Whtstang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie
I'm about to replace my 4th module in two years. I have used the heat proof grease and they still continue to fry. Never over the winter only the summer. Any one who has an answer to my problem I will pray over your mustang every day for a long and prosperous life! The easy answer would be to drive only in the winter lol.
How stupid was Ford for mounting the dang thing on the distributor in the first place.

What brand are you buying? I had an aftermarket one(Wells from Autozone) go out on me. I replaced it with a Ford part & never had a problem since.
85 GT Hatch w/AOD: K&N(of course). True dual exhaust w/91 H-Pipe, Hooker Comp Cat-back & Hooker Aerochamber Mufflers. KYB Struts & Shocks, MM LCA's, Polyurethane Bushings in Struts, Rack & Sway bar, Kenny Brown SFC's, MM Strut Tower Brace & Prothane Motor Mounts. AOD Performance rebuild W/ 2200 stall, shift kit, upgraded Direct clutch, upgraded OD w/ 2" wide AODE band, drum & mechanical diode. Cobra/SVO tail light lens's.
Carbed 306 or Stroker rebuild in the planning stages.

2007 Civic EX Coupe (30+ mpg commuter car, stock [for now] )
Whtstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:47 PM   #5
GTvert90

Could be the brand. Go OEM to play safe. thats what I would do.

They did move them to the fender. In 94 not 89. Ill take a picture of mine. Its essentially just mounted to the fender on a heat sink. I don't believe there are the 3 connectors for the PIP sensor, They 3 additional wires
70mm Mass Air Flow Sensor
GTvert90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:17 AM   #6
Snake

I'd like to see the pic in large size please,maybe there's a way I could make it work.Would your 94 distributor fit in my 88 5.0?

Old 06-16-2009, 11:25 AM   #7
PLAY400

I was told to change them as a unit, pick-up coil and the TFI?? on the side of the dist. Reason given was a bad pick-up coil may work but can take out the TFI. Never heard of a TFI taking out the coil. Last 1 I changed looked like it was falling apart in layers??? Just a suggestion but then again I buy 90 day warrantied used complete dist. for $20. at the local pick-a-part so it is also the easy button.
PLAY400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:13 PM   #8
GTvert90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake
I'd like to see the pic in large size please,maybe there's a way I could make it work.Would your 94 distributor fit in my 88 5.0?
Ill get you a picture.

Will it fit in the block yes. But there is extra wiring that it has compared to the 86-93.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:51 PM   #9
Whtstang

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...remote_tfi.htm

And:

http://www.ford-forums.com/engine-dr...tml#post113836
85 GT Hatch w/AOD: K&N(of course). True dual exhaust w/91 H-Pipe, Hooker Comp Cat-back & Hooker Aerochamber Mufflers. KYB Struts & Shocks, MM LCA's, Polyurethane Bushings in Struts, Rack & Sway bar, Kenny Brown SFC's, MM Strut Tower Brace & Prothane Motor Mounts. AOD Performance rebuild W/ 2200 stall, shift kit, upgraded Direct clutch, upgraded OD w/ 2" wide AODE band, drum & mechanical diode. Cobra/SVO tail light lens's.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:41 PM   #10
Whtstang

And here's a troubleshooting tip:
http://www.niehoff.com/techtips/ford.html

Old 06-17-2009, 08:09 PM   #11
Whtstang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie
I have used the heat proof grease and they still continue to fry.
FYI. I't not really heat proof. It's actually used as a conductor that allows heat to be transfered out of the module. Since most of the heat damage done to the module is generated by the module itself, the paste acts to allow the heat to be tranfered(although not very efficiently) into the distributer bowl.

Also, I don't use the grease that comes with the module. I use heat sink compound from radio Shack. It is specially designed for this purpose. I don't know for sure what they put in those little packages so I get my own stuff.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:43 PM   #12
GTvert90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whtstang
FYI. I't not really heat proof. It's actually used as a conductor that allows heat to be transfered out of the module. Since most of the heat damage done to the module is generated by the module itself, the paste acts to allow the heat to be tranfered(although not very efficiently) into the distributer bowl.

Also, I don't use the grease that comes with the module. I use heat sink compound from radio Shack. It is specially designed for this purpose. I don't know for sure what they put in those little packages so I get my own stuff.
Good catch. I knew what he meant so I kept reading. We should have clarified for others
Old 06-18-2009, 12:55 PM   #13
Robbie

Default igniton control module

[quote=Whtstang]What brand are you buying? I had an aftermarket one(Wells from Autozone) go out on me. I replaced it with a Ford part & never had a problem since.

ordered an accell from summit, putting it on tonight...hope it works.
will let every one know.
Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:50 PM   #14
Whtstang

It should work. I have never heard anything bad about the Accell piece. I would still check the PIP components inside the distributor bowl. At least look it over for burned or shorted wiring &/or connections. Also check the vane cup for anything unusual. Good Luck.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:13 PM   #15
5.0fanatic

Accel makes a distributor module for both manual and automatic 5.0 mustangs. Different part numbers. Suppose work better with high-output ignition coils and provide more coil saturation time for a bigger spark than the stock one. At least, that's what it advertises.
_ 65mm Throttle body and EGR spacer
_ off road x-pipes, 2 chamber flowmasters
_ BBK 1 5/8 unequal length headers
_ smog pump deleted
_ 180 degree thermostat
_ Taylor 8.2mm Thunder Volt ignition wires.
_ msd cap and rotor
_ msd street fire TFI ignition coil
_Explorer GT-40 Intake Manifold
_Explorer 19# injectors
_Crank underdrive pulley
_130 amp 3g alternator
5.0fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote