1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry - www.mustanggt.org
Dedicated to the documentation and preservation of
1982-1993 Mustang GT's
since 1994!!
Home | About Us | REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!! | GT Registry Statistics | Info By Year | Reference Gallery
Forums | Classifieds | Interactive Decoders | Production Numbers | GT Articles | Factory Literature | Info Needed | Donations
This message board and web site has been made possible through donations from: List of Contributors THANK YOU!!!!   
1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board  

Welcome to the 1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board!!

We're glad you're here! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view lists of topics, our GT Registry articles & information and access some of our other FREE features. By joining our community, you will have access to read and post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board > Restoration and Originality > Exterior and Interior Restoration
Register FAQ Members List Referrals Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read
Info NEEDED!!REFERENCE GALLERY!!REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!!GT Registry StatsInfo By YearAbout Us

Exterior and Interior Restoration Want your GT to look brand-new again? Ask your questions here - restoration tips and techniques, where to find original parts and correct finishes, etc.

Old 09-08-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
Chris-90LX
Ambassador
2010 Donating Member

Default Hatchback closing issue

I finally found some free time to work on the LX. I have barely driven it this year and I have to repair a lot of small stuff. The hatch stopped fully closing about a month ago. The latch mechanism was fine. The trouble was the plastic sleeve that goes over the striker. It basically exploded after like 22 years of service. I thought of many cheap ways to fix this, but found a correct $4 solution fast. I recommend doing this!

http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-38424-A.../dp/B000COCRHI

I never paid too much attention to those HELP displays at the auto parts stores. I got this set of four bushings for like $4. This box was on the shelf so long that it fell apart when I tried to remove it from the rack. This beat the heck out of looking around junk yards or improvising with a piece of plastic or aluminum tubing.
Chris-90LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:54 AM   #2
ALMOST STOCK

I had the same problem with my hatch coming open a few years ago and what I didwas buy a piece of cpvc pipe (price per foot $0.65) of which you only need a 7/8” ofthe 1 foot piece; sad part is they only sell in by the foot but for$0.65.

The 1/2”Cpvc pipe has the exactsame ID and OD and thickness as the OEM striker bushing.

Cpvc pipe is typically used for Mobil homesfor hot and cold water and can be found at Lowe’s, Home Depot, Mobil homerepair shops and Ace Hardware.

ALMOST STOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:46 AM   #3
federal officer

Ok so i realize the age of this posting but, I removed the stricker and for some reason could not seperate the torque bolt with the huge washer attached to it. If I could have seperated the two I can see just slipping over a piece of PVC. The two would not come apart. any ideas ?
Old 02-21-2013, 07:40 AM   #4
skunk
2010 Donating Member

Not sure if you want to spend the money but you can get a ford nos striker to replace it and be done with it..

http://www.npdlink.com/store/product...-166303-0.html

http://www.foxresto.com/products/vie...riker_Bolt_NOS
1991 GT white/ Titanium. 5.0. mild H,C,I, built Astro T5, built 8.8 w 3.73s, FRPP 31spline termi diff, 31 splines axles, plenty of MMS stuff both suspension and braces, Bullitt springs& agx adjustables, Ford racing wheels, Dunlop star spec tires & plenty more stuff.

Her resto thread:
http://www.mustanggt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=51391

2011 Lincoln MKX elite

2008 Ford explorer EB

2000Ford contour. modded, dyno tunded

skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:10 PM   #5
ALMOST STOCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by federal officer
Ok so i realize the age of this posting but, I removed the stricker and for some reason could not seperate the torque bolt with the huge washer attached to it. If I could have seperated the two I can see just slipping over a piece of PVC. The two would not come apart. any ideas ?
I took the large washer and unscrewed it from the threads of the torque bolt, it wouldn't just doesn't slip off.

ALMOST STOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:04 AM   #6
federal officer

It looked like it wanted to unscrew but just wouldn't bite for me. ok there's my problem as the threads of the bolt were way worn down and just couldn't catch.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:50 PM   #7
bryant99

Them don't come apart.I took my plastic sleeve and angled cut it and slid it un and have no problems with it.Olny other way is to replace the hole unit
Old 03-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #8
Shakerhood

That sleeve self destructed on my drivers door last year, I bought one of those HELP Kits and put the new sleeves on both doors.
Shakerhood is offline   Reply With Quote