1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry - www.mustanggt.org
Dedicated to the documentation and preservation of
1982-1993 Mustang GT's
since 1994!!
Home | About Us | REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!! | GT Registry Statistics | Info By Year | Reference Gallery
Forums | Classifieds | Interactive Decoders | Production Numbers | GT Articles | Factory Literature | Info Needed | Donations
This message board and web site has been made possible through donations from: List of Contributors THANK YOU!!!!   
1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board  

Welcome to the 1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board!!

We're glad you're here! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view lists of topics, our GT Registry articles & information and access some of our other FREE features. By joining our community, you will have access to read and post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board > Restoration and Originality > Exterior and Interior Restoration
Register FAQ Members List Referrals Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read
Info NEEDED!!REFERENCE GALLERY!!REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!!GT Registry StatsInfo By YearAbout Us

Exterior and Interior Restoration Want your GT to look brand-new again? Ask your questions here - restoration tips and techniques, where to find original parts and correct finishes, etc.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:59 AM   #1
stang88442

Default Brake pads with low dust 88-90 GT

The pads I have, put a brown dust on my GT wheels only after a few short trips (maybe junky pads) , after a sunday drive..This dust is very difficult to remove from rough clear coat, in the hard to reach pockets.

I am looking for a low dust pad, that others have used and know works that will not destroy my factory disks. In addition, I am looking for a cleaner that works, that will get this dust off the wheel...
thanks

Last edited by stang88442; 05-06-2014 at 11:02 AM..
stang88442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:28 PM   #2
John,

Thay all have some sort of dust as a byproduct....EBC claims they have pads that cure brake dust. I use plain old dish soap and a long bristle brush to get the dust off, those spray and wash types use acids to dissolve the metal in the dust but can cause spots on your pavement and are harmful to pets and plants as well.
John, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:25 PM   #3
Chris-90LX
Ambassador
2010 Donating Member

Welcome to Turbine wheel ownership, I'll be your moderator.

Gee, my 10 Holes clean up in seconds with garden hose and kitchen sponge.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:59 PM   #4
Augie88GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-90LX
Welcome to Turbine wheel ownership, I'll be your moderator.

Gee, my 10 Holes clean up in seconds with garden hose and kitchen sponge.
Hi Chris,

Is that what the problem is?

I know that you state this half-jokingly. But I can vouch for what you mean. My 1988 Mustang GT has the original factory stock wheels. And, for some reason, they always looked "dirty". Even when I don't use the car (when it is in long-term storage, etc.), they still look dirty.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:32 AM   #5
John,

NO, the problem here is that of having so much manufactured into a brake pad these days. I have three cars and all have the same dirt film on them in about 3 to 4 days after I wash them. Most pads are simi metalic and have other compounds in them that break down and turn into dust. That dust is free to go where ever it wants. Years ago full wheel covers made it hard to see until you had to remove the cover to take the wheels off. Pollution, rubber, compounds in the tire and just about anything else on the road winds up on rims as well as your car. Its a very dirty enviroment to drive a clean car in.
John, is offline   Reply With Quote