1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry - www.mustanggt.org
Dedicated to the documentation and preservation of
1982-1993 Mustang GT's
since 1994!!
Home | About Us | REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!! | GT Registry Statistics | Info By Year | Reference Gallery
Forums | Classifieds | Interactive Decoders | Production Numbers | GT Articles | Factory Literature | Info Needed | Donations
This message board and web site has been made possible through donations from: List of Contributors THANK YOU!!!!   
1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board  

Welcome to the 1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board!!

We're glad you're here! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view lists of topics, our GT Registry articles & information and access some of our other FREE features. By joining our community, you will have access to read and post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board > Restoration and Originality > Exterior and Interior Restoration
Register FAQ Members List Referrals Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read
Info NEEDED!!REFERENCE GALLERY!!REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!!GT Registry StatsInfo By YearAbout Us

Exterior and Interior Restoration Want your GT to look brand-new again? Ask your questions here - restoration tips and techniques, where to find original parts and correct finishes, etc.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:43 PM   #1
GT George

Thumbs up Fuel cap retaining strap fix for free.

Sooner or later the plastic retaining strap that holds the fuel fill cap on Fox Body Mustangs will break. Here's a quick and easy way to fix it.

First pry up on the black ring located on the inside of the cap. This ring holds the plastic retaining strap in place and allows the cap to rotate.

Next, I used some Rubber Shower Liner found at any plumbing supply store (ask for free scraps!) and using the old piece as a template I traced around it with an xacto knife.

Install the new strap and replace the black ring by simply snapping it back into place, and it still has that factory look!

Last edited by GT George; 02-04-2014 at 08:01 PM..
GT George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:56 PM   #2
Chris-90LX
Ambassador
2010 Donating Member

That looks like a good cheap fix George!

Any idea if that material is gasoline resistant?

My gas cap is no longer stock. I might have you trim me another one! LOL
Chris-90LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:23 AM   #3
GT George

It's resistance to gasoline, I have no idea how long before it fails.

If anyone makes one, the original strap thickness measures 2.25mm. The shower liner I used was 1mm thick and seems to work ok, but 2mm would be better. You could go as thick as 3mm and still have some play, anything thicker and the cap won't turn freely.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:50 AM   #4
Augie88GT

George, that's a great idea. But I have the same feelings as Chris, that it may not be gasoline-resistant enough. And, as you pointed out, it is less than half the thickness of the stock part.

On my 1988 Mustang GT, I have a different problem with that whole area. Of course, I am referring to the area under the fuel filler door (where the gas cap is). On my car, that entire area has a ton of mold growing in it. Is this common? I am sure that the moist climate here in Staten Island, NY is a contributing factor. It's not like I live in Arizona or something.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:42 AM   #5
GT George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie88GT
George, that's a great idea. But I have the same feelings as Chris, that it may not be gasoline-resistant enough. And, as you pointed out, it is less than half the thickness of the stock part.

On my 1988 Mustang GT, I have a different problem with that whole area. Of course, I am referring to the area under the fuel filler door (where the gas cap is). On my car, that entire area has a ton of mold growing in it. Is this common? I am sure that the moist climate here in Staten Island, NY is a contributing factor. It's not like I live in Arizona or something.
It will get the occasional splash of gas not like it's submerged in the tank or anything. The liner does come in different thicknesses, the 1mm was just what I had laying around from another project.

I've never had mold growing in that area. First, check it see if the spill drain hole is plugged. If it's plugged you probably have water collecting in there promoting the growth of mold. Unblock it then spray some cleaner that contains bleach on the mold, scrub it good, re-spray then rinse, that should kill it.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:58 PM   #6
Augie88GT

George, thanks for the reply and advice. I'll try it when the warmer weather comes. Right now, it's freezing here in NY, and there's about a foot of snow on the ground.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:03 PM   #7
Augie88GT

George, by the way, is that your car in your avatar? It is black with a red stripe. It looks really nice. And, with the exception of the rims, it looks stock too. My car is the same color (black with a red stripe). Most people peeled the red stripe off their cars, but I left mine on. I think it looks better.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:14 AM   #8
GT George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie88GT
George, by the way, is that your car in your avatar? It is black with a red stripe. It looks really nice. And, with the exception of the rims, it looks stock too. My car is the same color (black with a red stripe). Most people peeled the red stripe off their cars, but I left mine on. I think it looks better.
Thanks, yup that's my car (87), I'm the original owner. When I first saw that color scheme I knew I had to get one. The first year I had it I changed the gears, added Nitrous, a strut tower brace and a Saleen wing. I still have the original wheels. Over the years I've had to replace the alternator, water pump and just recently the fuel pump. I just pulled the codes and it came back 11

I'd love to see some photos of yours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg show-1.jpg (145.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg fuel-pump-replacment.jpg (120.1 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by GT George; 02-07-2014 at 09:17 AM..
Old 02-08-2014, 04:51 AM   #9
Augie88GT

I'm the original owner of mine too.

If you made all of those mods in the first year, wouldn't that void the warranty?

You stated that you "pulled the codes and it came back 11". What does that mean?

Maybe I'll post some photos of mine when the warmer weather comes. I'll see. My car has been in storage since 1992. That's the last time it was on the road. But mine isn't in the condition yours is in. My car was stored outdoors for many years, with a car cover. The paint is a mess. The engine bay has quite a bit of rust in it.

I had to replace my fuel pump in 2006. When it was replaced, I found out some interesting and shocking information. At least, it was to me. I'll start another thread for that.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:09 AM   #10
GT George

The Nitrous would have voided the warranty, I never needed repairs done under warranty. Back then I didn't care and took my chances. LOL

Code 11 means System OK.

Wow your's has been in storage since 92? I hope you at least started it occasionally. Your fuel pump story sounds intriguing.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:46 AM   #11
Augie88GT

Hi George,

Yes, the car was started occasionally (a few times a year). For most of that time period (1992-present), my father started my car a few times a year - because I wasn't able to do it. In the mid-to-late 2000s (circa 2004-2006), I started helping him. And it was just in time because my father's health started declining around that time. My father died 4 years ago, so now that responsibility (starting my car a few times a year) has fallen totally on me. After all, it is my car.

You seem shocked that my car has been in storage since 1992. If you haven't already done so, please read my posts in "The Front Porch" section of this board for a full explanation of why that was the case.