1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry - www.mustanggt.org
Dedicated to the documentation and preservation of
1982-1993 Mustang GT's
since 1994!!
Home | About Us | REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!! | GT Registry Statistics | Info By Year | Reference Gallery
Forums | Classifieds | Interactive Decoders | Production Numbers | GT Articles | Factory Literature | Info Needed | Donations
This message board and web site has been made possible through donations from: List of Contributors THANK YOU!!!!   
1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board  

Welcome to the 1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board!!

We're glad you're here! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view lists of topics, our GT Registry articles & information and access some of our other FREE features. By joining our community, you will have access to read and post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board > General Tech > Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Referrals Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read
Info NEEDED!!REFERENCE GALLERY!!REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!!GT Registry StatsInfo By YearAbout Us

Modifications Changes from the factory stock setup - performance and appearance. What to buy next? What works & what doesn't?

Old 07-19-2009, 05:14 PM   #1
WATSONFITZ7

Default Axle c-clip problem

I was driving and my axle slide out the housing, look like the c-clip popped off...is ths normal for mustangs or could it be a worn c-clip, Dfferenail and gear is 2yrs old..
Old 07-19-2009, 06:15 PM   #2
need4spd90

you need to take it apart and see what happened in there..maybe something wasnt right when your gears were changed..i dont really see how a c-clip could "wear"..unless it broke or was never seated right in the 1st place..could be anything though

need4spd90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:24 PM   #3
skunk
2010 Donating Member

I wouldn't say it's normal for a mustang but possible for any c-clip axle car/truck.there are hundreds of stangs with over 150,000 miles that never loose c-clips, and others with tons of track passes that don't either, but it is possible. I put new c-clips in when I did my rearend and the originals where worn compared to the new ones but it wasn't huge. The other thing is when rebuilding the rear end is to check the axle end play ( about a 1/16" or so), sometimes shim are added to the traction lok to tighten it up which reduces the axles end play ( side to side motion ) too much end play can cause the c-clips to drop out.some times this is easily over looked. I thought about c-clip eleminators at one time but read and heard of too leaks from these, most guys run them on track dedicated cars but they are very prone to leaks. there is a ford 9" mod that can be done to the 8.8 tube to totally cure it but more than what I wanted to get involved in. I would get some new clips and check the shaft play, best of luck .
1991 GT white/ Titanium. 5.0. mild H,C,I, built Astro T5, built 8.8 w 3.73s, FRPP 31spline termi diff, 31 splines axles, plenty of MMS stuff both suspension and braces, Bullitt springs& agx adjustables, Ford racing wheels, Dunlop star spec tires & plenty more stuff.

Her resto thread:
http://www.mustanggt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=51391

2011 Lincoln MKX elite

2008 Ford explorer EB

2000Ford contour. modded, dyno tunded

skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:45 AM   #4
93-331-29PSI

I don't see any way possible for a c clip to just fall out, because the pin that holds everything together. Good time for c clip eliminators.
93-331-29PSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:18 AM   #5
need4spd90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93-331-29PSI
I don't see any way possible for a c clip to just fall out, because the pin that holds everything together. Good time for c clip eliminators.
maybe the pin reatiner bolt snapped and the pin slid out enuff to let the axles slide in and the c-clip slide off?? that would be more common for that skinny little bolt to snap i would think..overtightening it on the install?..but if the situation i just made up really happened,there would probably be some severe damage inside..

Old 07-20-2009, 02:29 PM   #6
WATSONFITZ7

I took it apart and everything was fine, except 2 inner bearings and one outer bearings was bad....I think this could of happen when I was driving in overdrive lockout and I shift to overdrive while the car was still moving...that's that's the only reason I could see...everything is 2yrs old
Old 07-20-2009, 05:39 PM   #7
skunk
2010 Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATSONFITZ7
I took it apart and everything was fine, except 2 inner bearings and one outer bearings was bad....I think this could of happen when I was driving in overdrive lockout and I shift to overdrive while the car was still moving...that's that's the only reason I could see...everything is 2yrs old
93-331-29PSI makes a good point. once the center pin is in and the pin is in good shape and in correct the c-clip shouldn't just fall out. my thing with the axle end shaft play would be more than likely on a worn clutch pak and yours is 2yrs old. Hopefully you can figure it out.
1991 GT white/ Titanium. 5.0. mild H,C,I, built Astro T5, built 8.8 w 3.73s, FRPP 31spline termi diff, 31 splines axles, plenty of MMS stuff both suspension and braces, Bullitt springs& agx adjustables, Ford racing wheels, Dunlop star spec tires & plenty more stuff.

Her resto thread:
http://www.mustanggt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=51391

2011 Lincoln MKX elite

2008 Ford explorer EB

2000Ford contour. modded, dyno tunded

skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:23 PM   #8
HILLBILLY-MUSTANGS
2009 Donating Member

By inner bearings are you talking about the bearings on either side of the differential.If so that is probably where the "slack" came from to let every thing move just enough for the c clip to fall out. I have also seen the center pins be worn enough to cause play. Also if the axle bearing was worn badly it would have enough give to let the axle slide in and cause the c clip to fall off at just the right time. Were you making a turn or had just finished making a turn when this occured?
HILLBILLY-MUSTANGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:59 PM   #9
WATSONFITZ7

yes., I was making a right turn and I hit the gas and in the turn the tires chirped and I felt the rearend shimmy a little and I drove 3 blocks and then the axle slide out , when I look at it , I noticed broken bearing peices
Attached Images
File Type: jpg axle.JPG (47.6 KB, 17 views)
Old 07-20-2009, 11:09 PM   #10
HILLBILLY-MUSTANGS
2009 Donating Member

In that case the bad bearings were the cause.The bearings were worn enough to let the axle have some in/out play and possibly let the differential move side to side a little.Just put new bearings in and tighten everything to spec and should be fine as long as it didn't bend the housing when it dropped to the pavement.Did it bend the axle?
Old 07-21-2009, 12:15 AM   #11
Shakerhood

That is not a pretty Picture!
Shakerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:42 AM   #12
WATSONFITZ7

no.. the axle housing is fine...when it slid out I was going 10mph preparing to stop for a left turn....but the funny thing is...I live 2 blocks from the Ford World headquarters....2 miles from the Ford Mustang plant...and I can't fine a a american Mechanic that knows about Mustang peformance
Old 07-21-2009, 08:11 AM   #13
HILLBILLY-MUSTANGS
2009 Donating Member

That doesn't surprise me these days. On a different note..I used to come to the mustang plant about twice a week when I drove a truck otr. Always had a good time with the guys at the plant and it just amazed me at all the bodys sitting outside lined up that were rejected.When I would go to the engine plant in Romeo there would be dumpsters full of rejected engines.Back on topic..lol If the housing is not bent,then I would just install new bearings and the axle seal and put it all back together and it should be good to go. If I were closer it wouldn't take that long to do,but it's a long drive from Ky to MI.lol
Old 07-22-2009, 05:57 PM   #14
phastphil

the c clip is between the spider gear and the cross pin, I dont see how the differential bearings are going to allow the axle to slide inward when the pin is still in place. either the c clips are worn/damaged or the groove on the axle must be worn allowing the c clip to slide out of it.
I wouldn't use that axle again for 2 reasons, 1st if the machined groove wasn't the culprit im sure it got screwed up when the c clip rode up over the edge of it, and 2nd I think its highly unlikely that the axle is still straight after having the weight of the car dropping on it in the center.

this would be very ugly if it happens again going at highway speeds, I dont think its worth taking any chances with it, you can even get a set of used axles from the junkyard if moneys tight.
phastphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:24 PM   #15
need4spd90

i think i agree with phil.. no matter which way the diff moved,the axle would not move far enuff inward as long as the pin was still in place,unless the pin was extremely worn,but you said its fairly new..the ends of the axles are too close to the pin for the c clip to come off with the pin still in..thats why you have to remove the pin to get the c-clips/axle out..you probabyl have to push the axle inward close to 1/2" to get to the c-clips..thats a long way to go

i have a set of stock 28 spline axles from my car that i just swapped out for 31 splines about a month ago..let me know if you need them for any reason,wouldnt charge much more than the shipping..

Last edited by need4spd90; 07-22-2009 at 06:29 PM..