1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry - www.mustanggt.org
Dedicated to the documentation and preservation of
1982-1993 Mustang GT's
since 1994!!
Home | About Us | REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!! | GT Registry Statistics | Info By Year | Reference Gallery
Forums | Classifieds | Interactive Decoders | Production Numbers | GT Articles | Factory Literature | Info Needed | Donations
This message board and web site has been made possible through donations from: List of Contributors THANK YOU!!!!   
1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board  

Welcome to the 1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board!!

We're glad you're here! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view lists of topics, our GT Registry articles & information and access some of our other FREE features. By joining our community, you will have access to read and post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board > General Tech > Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Referrals Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read
Info NEEDED!!REFERENCE GALLERY!!REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!!GT Registry StatsInfo By YearAbout Us

Modifications Changes from the factory stock setup - performance and appearance. What to buy next? What works & what doesn't?

Old 06-14-2009, 10:38 PM   #1
Jerry: BLACK 85 GT h/b
Ambassador
2009 Donating Member

Default Rear Suspension suggestions?

OK, on the trip down from New England to Florida, I discovered that my rear suspension wasn't exactly up to the 400# load of luggage in the rear. So I'm planning ahead and saving my pennies (and other denominations of cash) to pay for my next major upgrade. I'm looking for advice and suggestions.

The car is mainly a street machine that will occassionally see the dragstrip, so I'm looking for street performance more than blazing launches. I'm considering Granatelli's control arms to start. Feedback welcome, as well as recommendations for shocks, etc.
Thanks.

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. Thomas Jefferson
“The best government is that which governs least.”
variously attributed

A/R "Swirl" wheels
FRPP clutch/flywheel
subframe connectors
BBK catted H-Pipe
Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust
Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold

Click HERE to REGISTER YOUR GT!
Jerry: BLACK 85 GT h/b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:21 PM   #2
93 Wht GT
2009 Donating Member

Hey Jerry,
Go with Hotchkis. My car has the Hotchkis upper and lower control arms. They are "boxed" powder-coated red and has a nipple to grease the polyurethane bushings. Besides my lowering springs, sub-frame connectors, strut tower brace, under engine brace, and my Koni reds, my friend Mike gets a kick when he catches up to me on the way to work. He likes to see my car corner flat on this one turn. There is still some flex, but it is mainly tight for GREAT cornering.

I will also suggest Koni's all the way around. The rears and the quads are still made in Red, but the front adjustable with the knob is now being made in yellow. Still a great setup for all around driving.

Come on out to CA so you can drive Casper!

Rick
93 Wht GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:22 AM   #3
need4spd90

i'd stay away from granatelli's stuff..i know the price is right but you get what you pay for when it comes to that stuff..i've seen countless pics of GMS LCA's that bend in half,bushings are shot after a few launches(i know you're not a racing regular,but still) and various other problems

for a few $$ more,go with UPR,Hotchkis(as prev. stated),etc.

Maximum Motorsports makes some of the best stuff out there,but they are pretty pricey

heres a decent set from UPR:
http://www.uprproducts.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1701

just my $.02

need4spd90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:53 AM   #4
GTvert90

Steer clear of UPR. Ill find the threads. But there are multiple threads on more than one sites of UPR's poor quality. Bad welds. cracked tubing. Ill never put any UPR suspension pieces on my car.

Ill look for the threads later tonight. you cold probably just google UPR quality.
70mm Mass Air Flow Sensor
GTvert90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:45 AM   #5
need4spd90

now that you mention it,i do recall seeing some people being unhappy with UPR as of late..sorry for the bad advice there lol..

i put a ton of time into researching suspension since i just replaced damn near everything on mine this past winter,but mine is geared more toward track usage with some occasional street time(mainly to and from the track lately lol)

heres some pics i've seen of Granatelli stuff:

there are more but just cant find them right now..heres some good reading:
http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/t_suspension.htm

Old 06-15-2009, 09:16 AM   #6
Ambassador
2009 Donating Member

This is why I love my family!!! This is great info! I was going by the Granatelli name, but have no experience.

Regarding lowering, one reason I need to do this is the load we carried down here caused the rear tires to rub the fender wells whe we'd go ove some expansion joints and such 'bumps' in the road. Without the load, it seems OK for clearance. Bt I'm keeping in mind that I may have the grandkids in the backseat more often. I don't want to face replacing tires more than needed.

Thanks again for the heads-up!

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. Thomas Jefferson
variously attributed

A/R "Swirl" wheels
FRPP clutch/flywheel
subframe connectors
BBK catted H-Pipe

Old 06-15-2009, 09:29 AM   #7
MustangGTorg-David
GT Registry Founder

I'd go either Hotchikis or MM since HP Motorsport looks like they are no longer around

1965 Mustang Coupe
1991 Mustang GT Hatchback
1991 Mustang GT Hatchback (given to youngest daughter)
1991 Mustang GT convert (sold to ???)
1992 Mustang GT Hatchback (given to oldest daughter)
MustangGTorg-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:46 AM   #8
DoDew87

I have BBK rear uppers and lowers on my 95. They work just fine.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:41 AM   #9
need4spd90

if you're going to have kids in the backseat,i'd get upper control arms like "Skunk" got from Maximum Motorsports..they look just like the stockers but have slightly stiffer bushings for better handling,but not as stiff as a poly urethane bushing..if you put poly bushings throughout,its going to be ALOT stiffer ride,also more road noise is transmitted through the car. so stick with some softer rubber bushings for the uppers if you're going to do mostly street driving..
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/in...roducts_id=544

the thing is,you can get these as FRPP parts elsewhere for about $80,but MM claims thats FRPP's advertisement doesnt live up to its claims as the bushings being "2x as stiff as stock",so apparently MM decided to put their own bushing in them
http://www.atomicperformance.com/for...cobraonly.aspx

as for the shocks and struts,i went with Strange 10-way adjustables,and so far i love them,especially for the pirce,but then again,thats more geared toward track usage and i dont think they would work as well for normal day to day driving as a dedicated Koni or the like would
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/STR-S6000EM/

i have these lowers,which are commonly known as weight jackers. if you're worried about ride height,this may be the way to go for you..they have fully adjustable spring perches which let you lower the car 1" from factory,or raise it up to 2" from the factory ride height with the greatest of ease..they have a 1/2" drive hole in the bottom of the big threaded nut that the spring perch sits on top of,just stick a 1/2" drive socket wrench in there and twist
this company was known formerly as Pro3i,but have since changed their name to J&M products,and came highly recommended by Kevin from www.baselinesuspensions.com either way,good stuff ,and mine are holding up great so far.. MM makes this style too,but they're twice the price. J&M also makes the standard style lowers,and if the quality is anything similar to the weight jackers i bought,then i'd recommend those as well
http://www.hotpart.com/shop/index.ph...ct_detail&p=44

Old 06-15-2009, 04:42 PM   #10
Ambassador
2009 Donating Member

This is a lot to digest, but I appreciate the info. As for the kids- it won't be like a daily thing, but until now, I'd had no grands locally that could ride with us, so it wasn't an issue. As for noise, the Flows' drone is enough for my wife, so I'll go with the softer bushings! LOL!

variously attributed

A/R "Swirl" wheels
FRPP clutch/flywheel
subframe connectors
BBK catted H-Pipe

Old 06-15-2009, 05:58 PM   #11
mmb617

Here's a picture of the weight jacker type LCA's like Joe was referring to:

See the big blue bolt under the spring perch? That allows you to change your rear ride height in a matter of minutes. I'm kind of partial to MM stuff myself, you pay a bit more but the quality is first rate and that's pretty important in suspension pieces.

Old Fart Drag Racing - If you're not having fun, then you're taking this stuff too seriously.
mmb617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:02 PM   #12
skunk
2010 Donating Member

I have the FRPP uppers & MMS lower, love them!! The ride and handling is way better than stock. The reason I push MMS is the quality is bar none, also they use a sepherical bushing on the axle end, this allows the axle to articulate. It's just a great product & thier customer service is awsome as well .

90CobraGTvert mentioned some stuff about upr, I agree and here is some info,

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=62319

http://forums.corral.net/forums/show....php?t=1101501

Info on Hotchkis,

http://forums.corral.net/forums/show...light=hotchkis

pic of my MMS lower arms & FRPP uppers, MMS cater/camber plates & BUllitt springs before the install

To me when you install an aftermarket product it's an upgrade, designed to make the car better & the part needs to be better than stock. Hotchkis is okay, slightly better than stock but falls short from the research I did when I was looking into suspension upgrades ( not knocking anyone who is using it), I wanted to spend my money on something that was going to get me all that I paid for and more and was well known in the mustang world has quality. IMHO some of the best suspension parts for the fox come from MMS & Griggs, again IMHO .
1991 GT white/ Titanium. 5.0. mild H,C,I, built Astro T5, built 8.8 w 3.73s, FRPP 31spline termi diff, 31 splines axles, plenty of MMS stuff both suspension and braces, Bullitt springs& agx adjustables, Ford racing wheels, Dunlop star spec tires & plenty more stuff.

Her resto thread:
http://www.mustanggt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=51391

2011 Lincoln MKX elite

2008 Ford explorer EB

2000Ford contour. modded, dyno tunded

Last edited by skunk; 06-15-2009 at 06:05 PM..
skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:03 PM   #13
need4spd90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry: BLACK 85 GT h/b
This is a lot to digest, but I appreciate the info.
sorry...i've been getting long winded recently..must be getting old..

Old 06-16-2009, 07:50 AM   #14
Ambassador
2009 Donating Member

No need for you guys to apologize- I'm just getting old and overwhelmed! LOL!

Keep in mind I'm not Tim Taylor or Jay Leno- more like the prototype for the backyard mechanic, or Red Green!!! It wasn't long ago that an adjustable wrench was actually a pair of water pump pliers! Compared to some of you guys, I'm out of the league!

variously attributed

A/R "Swirl" wheels
FRPP clutch/flywheel
subframe connectors
BBK catted H-Pipe

Old 06-16-2009, 08:01 AM   #15
need4spd90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry: BLACK 85 GT h/b
No need for you guys to apologize- I'm just getting old and overwhelmed! LOL!

Keep in mind I'm not Tim Taylor or Jay Leno- more like the prototype for the backyard mechanic, or Red Green!!! It wasn't long ago that an adjustable wrench was actually a pair of water pump pliers! Compared to some of you guys, I'm out of the league!

ive never done any of this before either..i just look at it this way anymore:

It's all just nuts and bolts...

it does make you feel good when you know you did it yourself though,and it also helps you gain a REAL understanding of your car..i just take my time,research as much as i can,and start digging in..

before i swapped my heads and cam and stuff,ive never done much more than change the spark plugs and oil..now i can say i have everything under my belt from an oil change,self ported heads&intake,cam install,gear install,shocks,struts,control arms,springs,etc..all done in my garage with my own 2 hands(and sometimes the occasional buddy lending a hand)

so basically what im saying in 2000 words or less,You can do it

BTW,when ya going to change your sig pic and get all those dead brown northern leaves outta the background and show off your new palm trees and alligators? lol

Last edited by need4spd90; 06-16-2009 at 08:04 AM..