1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry - www.mustanggt.org
Dedicated to the documentation and preservation of
1982-1993 Mustang GT's
since 1994!!
Home | About Us | REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!! | GT Registry Statistics | Info By Year | Reference Gallery
Forums | Classifieds | Interactive Decoders | Production Numbers | GT Articles | Factory Literature | Info Needed | Donations
This message board and web site has been made possible through donations from: List of Contributors THANK YOU!!!!   
1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board  

Welcome to the 1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board!!

We're glad you're here! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view lists of topics, our GT Registry articles & information and access some of our other FREE features. By joining our community, you will have access to read and post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board > General Tech > Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Referrals Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read
Info NEEDED!!REFERENCE GALLERY!!REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!!GT Registry StatsInfo By YearAbout Us

Modifications Changes from the factory stock setup - performance and appearance. What to buy next? What works & what doesn't?

Old 06-27-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
Josephus93GT

Default Pacesetter O/R H-Pipe

Hello All!

I am looking to buy a Pacesetter O/R H-Pipe w/ crossmember for $50 on Sunday. I have seen pics of the pipe and crossmember and they look pretty clean. I did a search on here and not much came up on Pacesetter. I asked the guy at JEGS and he recommended BBK and said the BBK fit the best. I know he is trying to sell me on it, but the price at JEGS for the Pacesetter and BBK are the same. I told him $50 and he said that's a hard deal to pass up.

No major mods to engine. stock headers too. I have CAI and Flomaster 44's on it.

I am looking for some opinions from you guys!! I appreciate it!

Joe

Last edited by Josephus93GT; 06-27-2009 at 02:55 PM..
Josephus93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:18 AM   #2
Chris-90LX
Ambassador
2010 Donating Member

I'm not sure about their quality or fitment, but Pacesetter use to be the lowest priced parts.

$50 is a great price. Is the pipe 2 1/4 or 2 1/2"?

Do you plan to install it?
Chris-90LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 12:19 PM   #3
need4spd90

i'm about 99% sure the X pipe i used to have on my car was a Pace Setter..it was a nice quailty part,fit great,didn't leak,and best of all it was the cheapest one on summit's website at the time..cant personally speak for their H pipe,but id guess its of the same quality..i switched to longtubes,otherwise it would still be on my car

need4spd90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 02:54 PM   #4
Josephus93GT

I just got home and it's is really great shape. The usual surface rust in a couple of spots, but a runover with the dremel tool and it's good as new. I will try it get it installed this week and let you all know how it fit and sounds. It's a 2 1/2" pipe.. If I don't like it, I will sell it on Craigslist... LOL

Joe
Old 06-28-2009, 05:13 PM   #5
Jerry: BLACK 85 GT h/b
Ambassador
2009 Donating Member

Ummm, does Ohio do any kind of inspection on your year car? If they do a visual, you may have trouble. I tried to use an O/R h-pipe in NH, but got rejected at the first inspection. I had to spend another wad for the catted pipe.
I did save the O/R and will put it on here in Florida!

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. Thomas Jefferson
“The best government is that which governs least.”
variously attributed

A/R "Swirl" wheels
FRPP clutch/flywheel
subframe connectors
BBK catted H-Pipe
Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust
Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold

Click HERE to REGISTER YOUR GT!
Jerry: BLACK 85 GT h/b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:28 PM   #6
Josephus93GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry: BLACK 85 GT h/b
Ummm, does Ohio do any kind of inspection on your year car? If they do a visual, you may have trouble. I tried to use an O/R h-pipe in NH, but got rejected at the first inspection. I had to spend another wad for the catted pipe.
I did save the O/R and will put it on here in Florida!
No they don't do any inspections unless it is the first time registering the vehicle. I am keeping the stock catted H pipe in case they ever require one.

I am looking for some headers, I have it narrowed down to FRPP and BBK. I am wanting to go with the FRPP's but might have the money for quite a while. I am always looking on ebay and Craigslist.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:02 PM   #7
Josephus93GT

Default Crossmember

OK.. so I got the crossmember with the o/r h pipe and I have one already on my 93 GT but don't think its being used, if that makes sense. THe h pipe can be seen easily if you are standing just a couple of feet away and has a lot of space between the pipe and body of the car. I thought that was normal and then started reading about the crossmember.

THe h pipe isn't connected to it at all and am guessing it should be some how. I am putting an O/R h pipe on it over the weekend and want to know how to mount it to the crossmember, or if it is supposed to be. Would I buy pipe clamps for it?

UPDATE!!
I was under the Stang this morning and figured out why it was hanging so low from the car. Someone cut the mounting flanges off the H-pipe that go into the crossmember grommet. Atleast I know that it will done right this time!

Joe

Last edited by Josephus93GT; 07-03-2009 at 09:26 AM..
Old 07-05-2009, 06:58 PM   #8
Josephus93GT

I have a question about the stock h pipe. I was taking bolts off and realized a small pipe that goes into the engine on the passenger side from the hpipe. It hooks up to a vaccum line I believe. On the pipe I bought, the spot it would mount to is welded close. Do I need to have that other pipe welded to my new h pipe? If not, what do I do with the open line going into the engine?

Thanx,

Joe
Old 07-05-2009, 10:44 PM   #9
GTvert90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephus93GT
I have a question about the stock h pipe. I was taking bolts off and realized a small pipe that goes into the engine on the passenger side from the hpipe. It hooks up to a vaccum line I believe. On the pipe I bought, the spot it would mount to is welded close. Do I need to have that other pipe welded to my new h pipe? If not, what do I do with the open line going into the engine?

Thanx,

Joe
Nope don't need it. It feeds air to the cats. your pipe doesn't have cats.

Just block that hose. You now can get rid of your smog pump.

Thats why your not suppose to get rid of smog pump when you still have cats. it will burn them up faster.
70mm Mass Air Flow Sensor
GTvert90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:17 PM   #10
Josephus93GT

I really appreciate the info!! That makes the job much easier for me! I will be getting the FRPP shorty headers at the end of the month and have decided to change the h pipe and headers out at the same time.

I have read on here about spraying down the bolts with PB blaster before trying to remove them. I have already sprayed down the h pipe to header bolts and they still didn't budge. I will start spraying down all the bolts again about a week in advance to loosen them up..
Old 07-07-2009, 02:12 AM   #11
need4spd90

yeah get those things soaking,the longer the better. good luck,you're gonna need it!! lol

need4spd90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:08 AM   #12
GTvert90

get a propane/map torch to heat them up. with out it I snapped them. With it I got the bolts off somewhat cleanly.

But be prepared to break the studs. I even broke 3 generic socket extentions and 1 or 2 craftsman.

Impact probably won't help. You'll need a breaker bar/ratchet and a cheater bar to go over it.
70mm Mass Air Flow Sensor
GTvert90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 11:31 PM   #13
phastphil

since your replacing the headers too, I wouldnt sweat it if the studs break, you'll have new ones with the new headers. just dont break the bolts holding the headers to the heads
phastphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:00 PM   #14
Josephus93GT

Since I am replacing the headers and the h pipe, is there anything else I should check or replace while I have some of these parts off?

I got a great deal on a brand new pair of JBA shorty headers 1624s-2 for $200 free shipping!! I just couldn't pass up the deal! Everyone has said JBA's are the best, so THANX for the advice..

I should have them by the end of the week.. I had better go out and start spraying down the bolts!! I know it's gonna be a tough job, but well worth it!

Last edited by Josephus93GT; 07-13-2009 at 10:50 PM..