1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry - www.mustanggt.org
Dedicated to the documentation and preservation of
1982-1993 Mustang GT's
since 1994!!
Home | About Us | REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!! | GT Registry Statistics | Info By Year | Reference Gallery
Forums | Classifieds | Interactive Decoders | Production Numbers | GT Articles | Factory Literature | Info Needed | Donations
This message board and web site has been made possible through donations from: List of Contributors THANK YOU!!!!   
1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board  

Welcome to the 1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board!!

We're glad you're here! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view lists of topics, our GT Registry articles & information and access some of our other FREE features. By joining our community, you will have access to read and post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board > General Tech > Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Referrals Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read
Info NEEDED!!REFERENCE GALLERY!!REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!!GT Registry StatsInfo By YearAbout Us

Modifications Changes from the factory stock setup - performance and appearance. What to buy next? What works & what doesn't?

Old 11-10-2005, 01:48 AM   #1
86GTragtop

Question

I have the ugly 1986 GT steering wheel with the cruise controll buttons.

Can I swap out to the stock non-cruise controll wheel with out any problems.

I know I have to lose the cruise controll and thats fine. I just don't if the steering columns are differnt size or diameter.

Thanks.
86GTragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 08:17 AM   #2
FoxChassis

Yes, you can swap to the '84-'86 non-cruise wheel. Be aware that there are two types though. The GT version was wrapped in leather or a leather-type material and sewn. The LX version was molded to look the same.

Old 11-10-2005, 10:55 AM   #3
Chris-90LX
Ambassador
2010 Donating Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 86GTragtop:
I have the ugly 1986 GT steering wheel with the cruise controll buttons.

Thanks.
It angers me that Ford put this on the Mustangs.

I'm convinced that Ford might have had a pile of them leftover from the 1970's Ford Fairmont and Mercury Zephyr builds. To use up their existing stock, they were installed on the Mustang & Capri!

I've seen better looking steering wheels on cars from Eastern Europe during the cold war.
Chris-90LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 06:37 PM   #4
solar

Is the ugly wheel mentioned the one that had just a lower cross bar?
solar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 11:00 PM   #5
86GTragtop

yes it is

Thanks for the info.
86GTragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 12:25 AM   #6
Chris-90LX
Ambassador
2010 Donating Member

These easy to I.D.

They had the two spokes and the look for the cruise control buttons.

I know Ford could have done better than this part.
Chris-90LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:39 AM   #7
beaullieu

My 86 GT Convertible has the "ugly-cruise controll" steering wheel but I've got a "non-cruise controll" steering wheel that the prior owner had purchased.

I am planning to change them out first chance I get and have a question for those of you that have made the swap.... Although I see from an earlier post, they are interchangable, is there anything I will need to do to disable the cruise or will simply removing the old wheel do the trick. Also, do the horn contacts from the "ugly" wheel match up with the contacts on the "non-cruise" wheel? One last question.. Do I need to use any special lube on the horn contacts?

Thanks much....

Bob Beaullieu
beaullieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:07 PM   #8
BDBYS59
2009 Donating Member

I have an after market wheel with the cruise control buttons if you wish to keep that feature....
BDBYS59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 05:40 AM   #9
beaullieu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBYS59
I have an after market wheel with the cruise control buttons if you wish to keep that feature....
I may be interested. Could you post a pic and let me know how much you want for it?

Bob
Old 07-03-2009, 02:45 PM   #10
BDBYS59
2009 Donating Member

UMMMM,,, $75 plus shipping ?????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wheel1.jpg (126.8 KB, 16 views)
BDBYS59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:31 AM   #11
beaullieu

Thanks for the pic. I think I will go with my factory GT wheel and forego the cruise....

Bob
Old 07-09-2009, 04:29 PM   #12
bobm

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaullieu
Thanks for the pic. I think I will go with my factory GT wheel and forego the cruise....
The turn-signal mounted cruise was a dealer installed option from Ford when these cars were new. I had to replace the one on my '85 a few years ago & parts were still available from Ford. The handle is E6ZZ-13305-A lists for $22.72. The kit with the buttons & wiring is E4AZ-9C888-A lists for $56. I recall that the local Ford parts guy had to do a few days looking to find them, but he had them in about a week. Even gave me a 50% discount. This was in Nov 2005.

A complete aftermarket turn signal cruise kit may still be available from J C Whitney.
bobm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:22 AM   #13
beaullieu

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobm
The turn-signal mounted cruise was a dealer installed option from Ford when these cars were new. I had to replace the one on my '85 a few years ago & parts were still available from Ford. The handle is E6ZZ-13305-A lists for $22.72. The kit with the buttons & wiring is E4AZ-9C888-A lists for $56. I recall that the local Ford parts guy had to do a few days looking to find them, but he had them in about a week. Even gave me a 50% discount. This was in Nov 2005.

A complete aftermarket turn signal cruise kit may still be available from J C Whitney.
Thanks much for this information. I would really like to keep the cruise so if I can find the kit, problem solved.....

Bob