1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry - www.mustanggt.org
Dedicated to the documentation and preservation of
1982-1993 Mustang GT's
since 1994!!
Home | About Us | REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!! | GT Registry Statistics | Info By Year | Reference Gallery
Forums | Classifieds | Interactive Decoders | Production Numbers | GT Articles | Factory Literature | Info Needed | Donations
This message board and web site has been made possible through donations from: List of Contributors THANK YOU!!!!   
1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board  

Welcome to the 1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board!!

We're glad you're here! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view lists of topics, our GT Registry articles & information and access some of our other FREE features. By joining our community, you will have access to read and post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board > Other Topics > Humor
Register FAQ Members List Referrals Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read
Info NEEDED!!REFERENCE GALLERY!!REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!!GT Registry StatsInfo By YearAbout Us

Humor Post your funny stuff here! Videos, Jokes, you name it! Please keep it clean!

Old 03-14-2010, 10:23 PM   #1
Jerry: BLACK 85 GT h/b
Ambassador
2009 Donating Member

Talking What you've all been waiting for...

(drum roll, please!) .....

2009 Stella Awards

It's time again for the annual 'Stella Awards'! For those unfamiliar with these awards, they are named after 81-year-old Stella Liebeck who spilled hot coffee on herself and successfully sued the McDonald's in New Mexico , where she purchased coffee. You remember, she took the lid off the coffee and put it between her knees while she was driving. Who would ever think one could get burned doing that, right? That' s right; these are awards for the most outlandish lawsuits and verdicts in the U.S. You know, the kinds of cases that make you scratch your head. So keep your head scratcher handy..

* SEVENTH PLACE *

Kathleen Robertson of Austin, Texas was awarded $80,000 by a jury of her peers after breaking her ankle tripping over a toddler who was running inside a furniture store. The store owners were understandably surprised by the verdict, considering the running toddler was her own son.

Start scratching!

* SIXTH PLACE *

Carl Truman, 19, of Los Angeles , California won $74,000 plus medical expenses when his neighbor ran over his hand with a Honda Accord. Truman apparently didn't notice there was someone at the wheel of the car when he was trying to steal his neighbor's hubcaps.

Scratch some more...

* FIFTH PLACE *

Terrence Dickson, of Bristol , Pennsylva nia was leaving a house he had just burglarized by way of the garage. Unfortunately for Dickson, the automatic garage door opener malfunctioned and he could not get the garage door to open. Worse, he couldn't re-enter the house because the door connecting the garage to the house locked when Dickson pulled it shut. Forced to sit for eight, count 'em, EIGHT days and survive on a case of Pepsi and a large bag of dry dog food, he sued the homeowner's insurance company claiming undue mental Anguish. Amazingly, the jury said the insurance company must pay Dickson $500,000 for his anguish. We should all have this kind of anguish. Keep scratching. There are more....

Double hand scratching after this one..

* FOURTH PLACE *

Jerry Williams, of Little Rock, Arkansas, garnered 4th Place in the Stella's when he was awarded $14,500 plus medical expenses after being bitten on the butt by his next door neighbor's beagle - even though the beagle was on a chain in its owner's fenced yard. Williams did not get as much as he asked for because the jury believed the beagle might have been provoked at the time of the butt bite because Williams had climbed over the fence into the yard and repeatedly shot the dog with a pellet gun.

Pick a new spot to scratch, you're getting a bald spot..

* THIRD PLACE *

Amber Carson of Lancaster, Pennsylvan ia because a jury ordered a Philadelphia restaurant to pay her $113,500 after she slipped on a spilled soft drink and broke her tailbone. The reason the soft drink was on the floor: Ms. Carson had thrown it at her boyfriend 30 seconds earlier during an argument. Whatever happened to people being responsible for their own actions?

Only two more so ease up on the scratching....

* SECOND PLACE *

Kara Walton, of Claymont , Delaware sued the owner of a night club in a nearby city because she fell from the bathroom window to the floor, knocking out her two front teeth. Even though Ms. Walton was trying to sneak through the ladies room window to avoid paying the $3.5 0 cover charge, the jury said the night club had to pay her $12,000....oh, yeah, plus dental expenses. Go figure.

Ok. Here we go!!

* FIRST PLACE *

This year's runaway First Place Stella Award winner was: Mrs. Merv Grazinski, of Oklahoma City , Oklahoma , who purchased a new 32-foot Winnebago motor home. On her first trip home, from an OU football game, having driven on to the freeway, she set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the driver's seat to go to the back of the Winnebago to make herself a sandwich. Not surprisingly, the motor home left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Also not surprisingly, Mrs. Grazinski sued Winnebago for not putting in the owner's manual that she couldn't actually leave the driver's seat while the cruise control was set. The Oklahoma jury awarded her, are you sitting down?

$1,750,000 PLUS a new motor home. Winnebago actually changed their manuals as a result of this suit, just in case Mrs. Grazinski has any relatives who might also buy a motor home.

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. Thomas Jefferson
“The best government is that which governs least.”
variously attributed

A/R "Swirl" wheels
FRPP clutch/flywheel
subframe connectors
BBK catted H-Pipe
Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust
Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold

Click HERE to REGISTER YOUR GT!
Jerry: BLACK 85 GT h/b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:37 PM   #2
phastphil

OK Jerry, after reading number 5 "terrence dickenson of Bristol, Pa" I was realy scratching my head since I live about 3 miles from Bristol, Pa and was sure I would have heard about this, and also the fact we're in Bucks county which is conservative leaning when it comes to these things. So I had t do a google search and came up with a hit from truthorfiction.com and it turns out the stella awards are actually a Hoax.lol. though the woman in question and her story are real. Busted
phastphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:34 PM   #3
1982 niGhTmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by phastphil
OK Jerry, after reading number 5 "terrence dickenson of Bristol, Pa" I was realy scratching my head since I live about 3 miles from Bristol, Pa and was sure I would have heard about this, and also the fact we're in Bucks county which is conservative leaning when it comes to these things. So I had t do a google search and came up with a hit from truthorfiction.com and it turns out the stella awards are actually a Hoax.lol. though the woman in question and her story are real. Busted
These may not be real, but that doesn't mean these things don't happen!

Dad was involved in some cases (jury duty) that would sure as heck make these awards!
Old 03-15-2010, 12:48 AM   #4
Derald Rice

I was called for jury duty in a case where a dirt biker was pulled off his bike by a chain across a private driveway. The chain had a "no trespassing " sign hanging from it. The judge asked prospective jurors what their opinion of bikers / trespassers was, and I was dismissed very quickly.

Anyone with the appropriate fees can sue anyone else at any time for any reason. Our courts are to PC to tell some of these plaintifs to go pound sand.
1957 Jaguar Mk 1 sedan
Derald Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:28 AM   #5
MustangCop

I hate political correctness. It's ruining our country.

I'm short dang it, not vertically challenged!

Hullabaloo!!!
MustangCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:42 AM   #6
1982 niGhTmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangCop
I hate political correctness. It's ruining our country.

I'm short dang it, not vertically challenged!
And I'm fat! Not weight challenged! And it's not because of some "disease" it's because I am, a hungry man!

PC
Old 03-15-2010, 11:44 AM   #7
KS 82 GT
Ambassador

This has nothing to do with PC and everything to do with greed and stupidity. There's more than enough lawyers out there that will take any case to court. If something gets brought to court, in most cases there's nothing that can be done but allow it to go to trial. Unfortuantely, if it goes before a jury, then it's up to the jury and from my experience on jury duty, quite a few jurors aren't exactly the brightest crayons in the box. They're more than willing to grant the plaintiff every dime that they asked for whether they proved their case or not. This is why the costs of some things are so high. This is why you have to have a ridiculous amount of insurance to have a car show or any other activity where the public will be present.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:34 PM   #8
Shadow 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS 82 GT
This has nothing to do with PC and everything to do with greed and stupidity.
Actually PC does have a roll in it. I'm not saying it's the whole cause, but it does play a small roll in it with greed and stupidity. And I have to agree with mustangcop, I hate PC as well and it's dragging this country down alright. Kinda like them taking out the pledge of allegiance in schools just because a very small handful of minorities find it offensive, and forget the fact that this country was founded on this. Ehh, I ain't gonna open this box anymore, it's just gonna get me upset again.

Let's say these awards were real. It sure does revitalize my faith in the government and law in general.........not. I've read real stories where bad guys break into peoples homes, hurt themselves, and then sue the homeowners and win so it wouldn't surprise me if any of the above stories were real.

85 GT T-Top

THE

Quote:
Women are like cars, sometimes you find one you fall in love with, and sometimes you end up with a lemon.
Shadow 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:49 PM   #9
phastphil

well I must admit I never heard of stella liebeck until now, though I have heard snipits about mcdonalds getting sued over someone spilling hot coffee on themselves. Well now being curious about her I had to "google" her. I myself wouldnt buy coffee from them during that time, for 2 reasons. It tasted horrible, and it was too hot. I remember having to let it sit for about a half hour before I could even sip it. now before everyone rushes to judgement they should read the following link.

http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm
Old 03-15-2010, 08:02 PM   #10
MustangGTorg-David
GT Registry Founder

Oh the PC really, REALLY ticks me off PC will be the down fall of this country along with NOBODY taking responsibility for there own actions. Again, as I posted many times having to go to a school Christmas concert that is now called a " winter concert" so we dont offend anybody who has voluntery left THEIR country to move to OUR country and then be offended when we want to celebrate our holidays.

1965 Mustang Coupe
1991 Mustang GT Hatchback
1991 Mustang GT Hatchback (given to youngest daughter)
1991 Mustang GT convert (sold to ???)
1992 Mustang GT Hatchback (given to oldest daughter)
MustangGTorg-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:17 PM   #11
phastphil

our local newspaper has run a fundraiser for quite a few years around christmas(will I get banned for using this word???) and it was called "give a christmas" (sorry i did it again...) well about 9 years ago they changed it to "give a holiday"(a little PC ) it had really dropped off over the years since alot of people stopped giving to it, last year it was changed back to "give a christmas" (damn, wheres my manners...) and it was the first time since they changed it 9 years ago that it actually exceeded its goal, even during this recession.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:00 PM   #12
Chris-90LX
Ambassador
2010 Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1982 niGhTmare
These may not be real, but that doesn't mean these things don't happen!

Dad was involved in some cases (jury duty) that would sure as heck make these awards!
It is just amazing that this $hit actually makes it to trial.

It is just really confusing when the plaintiffs actually win these cases. Common sense just goes out the window!
Chris-90LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:01 PM   #13
Shadow 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by phastphil
our local newspaper has run a fundraiser for quite a few years around christmas(will I get banned for using this word???) and it was called "give a christmas" (sorry i did it again...) well about 9 years ago they changed it to "give a holiday"(a little PC ) it had really dropped off over the years since alot of people stopped giving to it, last year it was changed back to "give a christmas" (damn, wheres my manners...) and it was the first time since they changed it 9 years ago that it actually exceeded its goal, even during this recession.
There's proof that others just might feel the same way and are tired of this PC crap.

85 GT T-Top

THE

Quote:
Women are like cars, sometimes you find one you fall in love with, and sometimes you end up with a lemon.
Shadow 1 is offline   Reply With Quote