1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry - www.mustanggt.org
Dedicated to the documentation and preservation of
1982-1993 Mustang GT's
since 1994!!
Home | About Us | REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!! | GT Registry Statistics | Info By Year | Reference Gallery
Forums | Classifieds | Interactive Decoders | Production Numbers | GT Articles | Factory Literature | Info Needed | Donations
This message board and web site has been made possible through donations from: List of Contributors THANK YOU!!!!   
1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board  

Welcome to the 1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board!!

We're glad you're here! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view lists of topics, our GT Registry articles & information and access some of our other FREE features. By joining our community, you will have access to read and post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board > Our Archives > FAQ
Register FAQ Members List Referrals Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read
Info NEEDED!!REFERENCE GALLERY!!REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!!GT Registry StatsInfo By YearAbout Us

FAQ Collection of frequently asked questions.

Old 07-23-2002, 04:09 PM   #1
roland229

Question

I apologize for not having all the details, but a friend of mine is looking to swap a 351 in place of her 4 cyl. in her (88?) mustang. My question is, what all do I need to do to make this happen? I am guessing a bigger radiator and all the fun cooling stuff, but what about the engine mounts, and will the frame crossmember need to be modified? Will the bellhousing pattern be the same or will I need to find a new bellhousing? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated..

Old 07-23-2002, 09:09 PM   #2
Capri GT

I don't want to sound like a jerk but if you have to ask it's probably out of your league. It's a big job and will require changing the entire driveline. Cooling system will need upgrading. susopension, brakes. unless there is some special reason to keep the 4 cylinder shell i say sell it and use $$ towards a GT
Old 07-23-2002, 09:12 PM   #3
G.Grebe

My sentiments exactly, if you search this forum and read all the posts about swapping a 4cyl with a V-8 you will find the same answer: sell the 4-banger car and get a V-8 car. It will save money and headache.
Old 07-23-2002, 09:14 PM   #4
Capri GT

Like i'm one to talk I'm going to do a 2.3 turbo in a 79 Capri. But hey I'm a glutten for punishment
Old 07-23-2002, 10:22 PM   #5
roland229

Fabbing and doing major modifications/upgrades are no problem, I have a old jeep and the only thing I left stock on it is the body. As for selling the car, I do agree with you guys, but its up to my friend, and she seems pretty atteched to it.

Old 07-24-2002, 10:12 AM   #6
phastphil

If you really set on doing this, I think your best bet would be to find a V8 mustang thats totalled and switch over the drivetrain, this way you'll have all those "little parts" to do it rite and you'll be able to see how its supposed to go together. I dont mean to sound like im insulting you but for the sake of keeping it a "bolt on swap" keep the motor that comes with your donor car and forget the 351 (im sure going from a 4cyl to a 5.0 will make her happy)this will help keep simpler
Old 07-24-2002, 02:05 PM   #7
G.Grebe

I dissagree, if she's hell bent on doing this "extensive surgery" swap, the few minor things extra she would have to do to drop the 351 in there would be worth it.
Old 07-24-2002, 03:21 PM   #8
phastphil

I was only saying to keep the 5.0 to keep things simple, since the donor mustang they get will most likely already have the motor instead of having to get another motor and since the car is an '88 model year I would think they would go with a sequential fuel injected engine for colorado emission tests, the power and driveabilty. You cant use the lower half of the intake from a 5.0 on a 5.8, the deck height on the 5.8 is taller. though they might be able to have it machined to match, I dont know. I know they can buy aftermarket manifolds that will fit but unless you know what your really doing all you'll end up with is a project that will never get finished because of the frustration.
Im sure most of us know its one thing to sit and talk/type about these great ideas, but its another when your out there trying to make it a reality and your cars in pieces
Old 07-24-2002, 10:18 PM   #9
roland229

I Completely understand about saying and doing being two very different things, but 1 other thing I forgot to mention is that she already yanked a complete efi 351 from another car, harness, computer and everything. Hopefully this should take out some of the iffy parts on dropping the engine in. You also do bring up a very valid point about emmisions, this car is going to be put on the rollers and put through the paces, so I need to make sure to keep the emissions gear intact.

Old 07-25-2002, 12:16 AM   #10
Jerry: BLACK 85 GT h/b
Ambassador
2009 Donating Member

"If 'Mama' ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy!"
'Nuff said.

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. Thomas Jefferson
“The best government is that which governs least.”
variously attributed

A/R "Swirl" wheels
FRPP clutch/flywheel
subframe connectors
BBK catted H-Pipe
Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust
Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold

Click HERE to REGISTER YOUR GT!
Old 07-25-2002, 01:28 AM   #11
Ben Turner

Even with a complete 351 from another car (you didn't say what it was from, but I suspect it's from an E or F series truck/van if it's MPFI), there are still a few parts you'll have to buy or pirate from the yard, such as an oil pan, pickup, and dipstick tube, accessory drive brackets, and 157-tooth flywheel (if you plan on making it a 5-speed)

The oil pan and flywheel can be found in the yard, although they come from pretty specific cars, and almost aren't worth the trouble of finding/pulling/cleaning up as opposed to just buying them from FRPP. The accessory bracket (as far as I know) is only available through FRPP.

The 351 has a taller deck height, and as a result, sticks up more than a 302 and will almost certainly require a cowl induction hood to clear the intake. More $$$.

The best way to handle engine management will probably be using 5.0 electronics pirated straight from an 89-93 five liter Mustang. From an electrical/harness standpoint, the 351 will wire up just like a 302, so you don't need custom harnesses/computers. That's the easy part.

Just so you know what you're getting into, building a decent MPFI 351 (meaning one that will be a significant improvement over a 302, making around 350 hp) and swapping it into a fox Mustang will cost around $3,000, about half of which will be spent on air/fuel delivery. Bigger injectors, MAF meter, throttle body, fuel pump, lines, intake, 351 swap headers, oil pan, 351 swap flywheel or flexplate, and accessory brackets. I did the math for this a few years ago when I first considered it. I'm accumulating the parts little by little, but I haven't found many ways around the pricetag. A handful of the parts you need just don't get sold used very often, and you usually can't work any screamin' deals on new ones, either.

Also, that figure is assuming you've already got a V8 car. Factor in everything that's needed to get her 4 cyl ready for a V8 (as has already been discussed in this thread), and it's a pretty long and pricey list. I'm sure you could cobble something together if she's willing to compromise on a few things, like having AC, power steering, or a hood, but that's up to you two.