1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry - www.mustanggt.org
Dedicated to the documentation and preservation of
1982-1993 Mustang GT's
since 1994!!
Home | About Us | REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!! | GT Registry Statistics | Info By Year | Reference Gallery
Forums | Classifieds | Interactive Decoders | Production Numbers | GT Articles | Factory Literature | Info Needed | Donations
This message board and web site has been made possible through donations from: List of Contributors THANK YOU!!!!   
1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board  

Welcome to the 1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board!!

We're glad you're here! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view lists of topics, our GT Registry articles & information and access some of our other FREE features. By joining our community, you will have access to read and post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board > Other Topics > The Front Porch
Register FAQ Members List Referrals Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read
Info NEEDED!!REFERENCE GALLERY!!REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!!GT Registry StatsInfo By YearAbout Us

The Front Porch Kick back, relax and get to know everybody - tell us about yourself, share stories, bench race, talk about non 1982-1993 GT related topics, etc. (This is NOT anything goes - please keep it clean and civil!) NO political posts, please. Also, please do not list items for sale here - they will be deleted without notice.

Old 04-24-2001, 09:36 PM   #16
LSG85GT

Dan,
As I said before, tha is a very nice looking car but is too nice to be a daily driver. You can ask anybody on this board who owns an 82-86 Mustang and you will see why is so hard to drive one of those cars. The prices for parts are so ridiculous if you can find the parts. If not, then is time to try a junk yard or junk yards and see if you get lucky. Ask anybody driving an SVO and you will see that most of the parts are pretty much obsolete. If you do get it, I would suggest to get another "beater" to drive everyday so you can avoid "hurting" the SVO in any way and just cruise it on the weekends. Good luck with your decision and I am glad not to be in your shoes.

------------------
Two Ponies (85GT & 95GTS) and a Bug.
LSG85GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 09:53 PM   #17
speedy_stang

Ive said this before but what the hey I'll say it again. I would 100% keep the GT. It looks ten times better than an SVO (to me) and is sure faster. Well there's my .02
speedy_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 07:20 AM   #18
Jesbo

I'd go with the SVO. You only live once, why not go with the like new,30,000 mile, wild handling, 4-wheel disc, turbocharged 4 banger, which is also waaaay better on gas than the 5.0 (and you live in Victoria with like 80 cents a litre gas). Also, the SVO isn't exactly a resale-red Ferrari, it's just an import-like Mustang, so don't worry about driving it as it'll never be an expensive collector. Trust me.
Old 05-04-2001, 12:18 AM   #19
93mustang

slap on the 93 cobra suspension though, and your handling will be comprable, if not better, with oodles more power.
93mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2001, 02:54 PM   #20
Gearhead

Thumbs up

Ok, I'll pop my $0.02 in here just for kicks.

Wes, the SVO is a VERY rare find. Trust me, if I had a proper place to store it and/or didn't already have a rare Mustang to take care of I would have picked the SVO up in a second! I have an itch to get something that I can modify a bit and drive on a more regular basis than my current Mustang, and the SVO is definitely not a candidate for that. After talking with you I can tell that you realize the value of this car in its original condition and you would take very good care of this car. That's what should be done with it.

I gave up a beautiful 1989 GT in '97 to get my 79 Pace Car, and don't regret it for a minute. Do I miss the 89? Yup, but I wouldn't trade my 79 for it! Now I'm almost done the 79 and I am looking at getting another 91-93 GT or GT 'vert to play with. So, in the end I will have BOTH the toys I want (ok, maybe 2 out of a very long list, but who's couting! )! So there's proof that it can (and is) done. Nothing says that you can't do the same. Take the SVO, enjoy it, show it and save your pennies so that you can get another GT at some point in the not-so-distant-future. Heck, it's not like you even have to restore the SVO... it's perfect already!

What are the chances of finding another low mileage, well documented, factory correct SVO? Probably less than me finding another 79 Pace Car in the condition that mine is in! Get the SVO and enjoy it is what I would do in your shoes.

On the other hand, if you get the SVO then it will provide some very stiff compeitition to a certain 79 Pace Car at a couple of local shows.... hmmmmm, maybe you should leave it then. j/k!!

Oh yeah, make sure you find someone to buy the GT that will take as good of care of it as you have... I may know of just the person, if the finances can be worked out.

------------------
Cheers,
Ian
-------------------
'79 Mustang Indy 500 Pace Car
Ian's Pace Car Website
Indy Pace Car Registry of Mustangs Official Website

"If you get to thinking you are someone of some importance and influence, just try ordering another persons dog around." - Author Unknown
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2001, 03:04 PM   #21
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally posted by Jesbo:
Also, the SVO isn't exactly a resale-red Ferrari, it's just an import-like Mustang, so don't worry about driving it as it'll never be an expensive collector. Trust me.
Hmm, I'm not sure if I would agree with that. The SVO carries a very good reputation amongst the Mustang enthusiasts and collectors. Keep in mind that it is only 15 years since production on the SVO ended and we are already seeing the prices of these cars starting to rise. Most future-collectible cars take 20+ years before their value and status start to rise in the collector markets, but I think that the SVO may have a jump on other cars of that era.

Like the Buick GN and GNX cars, the low production numbers, relatively exotic and sophisticated powertains and handling components (for the time) and reputation I personally think that these cars are the future of collectible Fox-Mustang market, along with the 84 Anniversary edition, and 79 Pace Cars.

Using the car as a weekend driver and show car would be great (you have to enjoy them!!)... driving the wheels off it and racking up a bunch of miles using it as an everyday driver would be a shame, given it's current condition and current/future value as a collectible.

JMHO!

------------------
Cheers,
Ian
-------------------
Ian's Pace Car Website

"If you get to thinking you are someone of some importance and influence, just try ordering another persons dog around." - Author Unknown

[This message has been edited by Gearhead (edited 05-04-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Gearhead (edited 05-04-2001).]
Old 05-05-2001, 07:21 AM   #22
Jesbo

Pick whichever one you like to drive better. Bugger the collector idea. Unless you believe a car that'll never be worth more than 15-20 grand (Can$. and that's looking waaaaay down the road) is worth babying like a '67 427 Corvette Roadster, or an original Shelby Cobra...then why waste your time? Enjoy it while it's still cool. Or keep your dime a dozen GT, which is also pretty cool and will never be worth more than 10 grand.
Old 05-05-2001, 11:08 PM   #23
bigbob

Talking

I can't see the first 2 pics.Im new here and im new with mustangs,so someone tell me whats a svo.
bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2001, 12:15 AM   #24
mike g
2010 Donating Member

its a mustang that has a turbocharged 2.3L and says svo on it =)
mike g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2001, 03:20 AM   #25
Wes93GT

Wink

bigbob
If you're curious there's tons of info at these two sites!

http://www.mustangsvo.org/
http://boostedponies.com/

------------------

1993 Mustang GT Cobra
Canadians can bring it...
Blue5Liter.com
Old 05-06-2001, 11:31 AM   #26
Davewht85

Wink

Hey folks! Its not always about the $MONEY$ and thats my last word on the subject, end of story!
Old 05-07-2001, 12:18 AM   #27
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally posted by Jesbo:
Pick whichever one you like to drive better. Bugger the collector idea. Unless you believe a car that'll never be worth more than 15-20 grand (Can$. and that's looking waaaaay down the road) is worth babying like a '67 427 Corvette Roadster, or an original Shelby Cobra...then why waste your time? Enjoy it while it's still cool. Or keep your dime a dozen GT, which is also pretty cool and will never be worth more than 10 grand.
Actually, if you keep your eye on the value of SVOs in the Mustang Trader and SVO sites you would see that an SVO in the condition this one is in already commands between $10,000 and $15,000 US$. The price that Duncan can get this car it is a STEAL. He could double his money just by buying it and selling it south of the border.

However, as Davewht85 said, it isn't always about the money. When I refer to collectability I not only refer to it's monetary value, but also it's value as a showpiece, and the attachment that an owner has to the car. Don't ever get into collecting cars if you are just looking to make money. Most times you will end up losing no matter what you do. You would be much better off putting your cash into stocks, bonds and mutuals if you are serious about making a buck. I didn't buy my car to make $$ on it, and that's not what Wes is looking to do either. Collecting cars is about preserving and showcasing automotive heritage for the love of it, not for the money.

I saw the SVO this weekend and saw the look in Wes's eye when he brought it out of the garage... he obviously likes this car very much, and is extremely proud of it (and so he should be, it's amazing!). I also saw that Wes realizes the value of this car as a piece of Ford performance history, and he really does appreciate it for that (which is quite rare for a person of his age with motor oil in his blood!). That kind of appreciation goes beyond a dollar value.

Do you need to drive the wheels off of a car to appreciate it? Not in the least. I drive my 79 waaaay less than I ever did my 89GT, but I appreciate the car much more than I ever did the GT because of it's heritage and rarity. I bet Wes feels the same about the SVO over the GT (actually, I would put money on it!).

Besides, just the memory of that rush of accelleration and whistle of the turbo had my adrenalin pumping for an hour after I had a ride in it! That car ooooozes it's European heritage. Drooooool!!!!

------------------
Cheers,
Ian
-------------------
Ian's Pace Car Website

Old 05-07-2001, 01:23 AM   #28
Wes93GT

Talking

So Ian, how do you feel about it?
Thanks for the input everyone I really appreciate it!
Old 05-07-2001, 01:59 AM   #29
cobra

Sounds like you should keep Both Wes
cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 12:51 PM   #30
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally posted by Wes93GT:
So Ian, how do you feel about it?
Ah, it's not bad. LOL!

Ian