1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry - www.mustanggt.org
Dedicated to the documentation and preservation of
1982-1993 Mustang GT's
since 1994!!
Home | About Us | REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!! | GT Registry Statistics | Info By Year | Reference Gallery
Forums | Classifieds | Interactive Decoders | Production Numbers | GT Articles | Factory Literature | Info Needed | Donations
This message board and web site has been made possible through donations from: List of Contributors THANK YOU!!!!   
1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board  

Welcome to the 1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board!!

We're glad you're here! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view lists of topics, our GT Registry articles & information and access some of our other FREE features. By joining our community, you will have access to read and post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board > General Tech > Maintenance, Troubleshooting and Diagnosis
Register FAQ Members List Referrals Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read
Info NEEDED!!REFERENCE GALLERY!!REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!!GT Registry StatsInfo By YearAbout Us

Maintenance, Troubleshooting and Diagnosis Need help? Having troubles with your GT? Need some maintenance tips? Ask your questions here.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:22 PM   #1
WhiteMustangGirl

Default Car not starting

I have an 1993 Mustang 5.0 conv

Ok Well I've stumped several people with this one so I am turning to you folks... I went 2 places car started fine both times... got home... went to leave again and car wouldn't turn over. i have been having probs starting but if i took a wrench and placed it on the starter solniod it would start now it won't even to that. I have already replaced the starter in 2010 and in March 2014 the ignition switch, starter solnoid and the ignition key lock cylinder. I called AutoZone and asked them what it could be.. they said ignition switch so I just replaced that today. Car still won't start. I have already tried to start it in neutral and I took the wire off the starter soinod and ran a coat hanger to the pos battery term tries to start but won't turn over. I have all the lights, chimes, radio and a/c all work. I am think a relay went south from something or maybe a fuel issue?

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance
WhiteMustangGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:40 AM   #2
KS 82 GT
Ambassador

Are the battery cables in good shape? They corrode and while everything else seems to work fine, you can't get enough juice to crank over the starter.

How new is your battery? Most parts stores can run a check on it to see if there are any issues with it.

Good luck and let us know what it was
Old 02-18-2015, 01:03 PM   #3
WhiteMustangGirl

I have all the power...lights, radio etc... the battery is about a year old and the cables are clean. I know that (at least on mine) they get "white" fairly easy.
So i am always looking for that. Someone said it might be something with a transmission sensor?. or coil short?

I have been really lucky with car problems happening at home or close to home where I could get there. This one happened in my parents driveway. The guy selling solar panels, a neighbor and the termite guy helped push it into the garage. At least their car could get out....which
I'm driving now. I have had the mustang since 1996 and only have had it towed 6 times

Last edited by WhiteMustangGirl; 02-18-2015 at 01:28 PM..
WhiteMustangGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 04:19 PM   #4
fb93
2010 Donating Member

If the battery has caps on top, pry them off and check the electrolyte levels. They should be 1/2" or so from the top. You can use tap water if thats all you have, but distilled is best as it doesnt have all the chemicals in it tap does. Then make sure the battery is charged and the cables are not only clean, but in good shape. Another thing you can try is have someone wiggle the negative battery cable as you turn the key. If it starts, the negative cable is bad. My 93 did randomly a couple years ago. New negative cable, no more problem. That doesnt mean yours is having the same problem tho. Spend the extra cash on a FORD battery cable, should you decide to replace it.

Those red and green discs from the parts store for the battery posts will help keep the corrosion down. If you need to clean the terminals at any point, disconnect both cables, then mix a little water with some baking soda and use an old brush to scrub both the cable ends and the battery posts. Dry them completely afterwards or the moisture trapped between them will cause more corrosion. A battery terminal cleaner is obvious, but a piece of fine sandpaper will work just as well. And dont overtighten the clamps.

If none of that works, the solenoid may be shot. Sometimes the contacts inside stick. Hitting the side while the engine is cranking can sometimes free them. They are cheap should you replace it, just make sure every wire goes back to same place. The starter is also a possibilty, or the cable running to it, but do the other stuff first. Starters are a major PITA to replace.

Last edited by fb93; 02-18-2015 at 04:28 PM..
fb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:41 PM   #5
Blown88GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMustangGirl
I have an 1993 Mustang 5.0 conv

Ok Well I've stumped several people with this one so I am turning to you folks... I went 2 places car started fine both times... got home... went to leave again and car wouldn't turn over. i have been having probs starting but if i took a wrench and placed it on the starter solniod it would start now it won't even to that. I have already replaced the starter in 2010 and in March 2014 the ignition switch, starter solnoid and the ignition key lock cylinder. I called AutoZone and asked them what it could be.. they said ignition switch so I just replaced that today. Car still won't start. I have already tried to start it in neutral and I took the wire off the starter soinod and ran a coat hanger to the pos battery term tries to start but won't turn over. I have all the lights, chimes, radio and a/c all work. I am think a relay went south from something or maybe a fuel issue?

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance
You are not being clear in the description of the problem & what you have done.
1. You replaced the ignition switch in 3/14 & you did it again now, just because AutoZone said so?
2. You say car won't start & then say it won't turn over. "Turn over" is Cranking which is a separate issue from Starting.
3. Fuel issue would be won't start, not won't crank.
4. If it doesn't crank, it won't start.
5. Cranking precedes starting.
So which is it, won't crank or won't start?
Won't crank is an electrical issue & nothing else.
Blown88GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:59 AM   #6
John,

More INPUT!!! The only issue I had with my car not starting (Cranked but would not start) was with a small yellow wire at the starter solenoid. The solder connector at the terminal was broke but the plastic around had not broken off. As soon as I touched it it broke off. I trimmed back that yellow wire and crimped another solderless connector to it...Bad fuel pump, bad fuel regulator and bad just about anything related to spark my be the problem...
John, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:46 PM   #7
SECESH

Default replacement parts

I've had a great many issues in the last few years with replacement electrical system parts that were defective right out of the box, or which became defective far sooner than one would imagine.
Test everything. Get a multi-meter and study up on its use. They are handy and can reveal many hidden flaws, and the uninitiated will think you're a genius. Hang on to the old parts and tag them so they can be identified as to when replaced etc. They may not be bad. Look also at the wiring and connectors. Oftentimes resistance within a connector can cause heating and an intermittent open circuit. Watch for dead cell batteries, these test at the proper voltage, but will drop way down the scale when asked to perform work. They'll run everything but the starter motor.
SECESH is offline   Reply With Quote