1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry - www.mustanggt.org
Dedicated to the documentation and preservation of
1982-1993 Mustang GT's
since 1994!!
Home | About Us | REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!! | GT Registry Statistics | Info By Year | Reference Gallery
Forums | Classifieds | Interactive Decoders | Production Numbers | GT Articles | Factory Literature | Info Needed | Donations
This message board and web site has been made possible through donations from: List of Contributors THANK YOU!!!!   
1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board  

Welcome to the 1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board!!

We're glad you're here! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view lists of topics, our GT Registry articles & information and access some of our other FREE features. By joining our community, you will have access to read and post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board > Other Topics > Members Helping Members
Register FAQ Members List Referrals Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read
Info NEEDED!!REFERENCE GALLERY!!REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!!GT Registry StatsInfo By YearAbout Us

Members Helping Members Need a car or part looked at out of your area?? Need help with something else far away? Post here and get help from or help out a fellow GT Registry member.

Old 10-15-2006, 05:53 PM   #1
ipchay61

Default Looking at a 92 GT....

..and would like some help.

Found a '92 GT at a car lot today. It's Ultra Blue over Titanium. Appears to have about 125,500 miles on it. Interior is complete and in decent shape but could use a new console and the passenger seat belt does not retract. It even has the owners manual and the orginal warranty card. Exterior looks to have be in ok shape. There is a dent in the front center of the hood, two chips in windshield, and the LF fender doesn't quite match up to the door. Could find no rust under the doors or anywhere else for that matter. The car appears to have been lowered. Paint is peeling on some of the lower ground effects and a little clearcoat peel on the hood. The rear bumper cover has been hit on the right side and has a tear in it. As expected, the door trim needs repainting or replacing but the weatherstriping all looks ok. The heater core has been bypassed and it has a CAI. Not sure if the AC works but it is there. Has headers and a dual exhaust with no catalytic converters that exits underneath, just ahead of the rear axle. If someone could run a Carfax, the VIN is 1FACP42EXNF134517.

Any thoughts on what a resonable price for this is?

Pics posted below...sorry, it was a cellphone camera.

Chip in SC

Last edited by ipchay61; 10-15-2006 at 06:15 PM..
ipchay61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 05:55 PM   #2
ipchay61

pics

Old 10-15-2006, 05:56 PM   #3
ipchay61

more pics..(my '07 is in the last one.)

Chip in SC

Old 10-15-2006, 09:24 PM   #4
KS 82 GT
Ambassador

It's tough to tell from the pictures, but it does look like a pretty good car to work with. Most of the stuff you mention would make great bargaining points. The clearcoat on the hood really doesn't matter since there's already a dent in the hood, but would work in your favor when dealing.

I really don't know what to tell you on the price, but looks like something that would be relatively easy to fix up.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:38 AM   #5
ipchay61

Went and looked at it today. Guy said it had an E303 cam, shaved heads, CAI, BBK headers, MAC prochamber exhaust (man it was loud!), ~3.73 gears, Eibach springs. AC seemed to work, clutch felt ok. Just drove around the parking lot as I was at lunch and didn't have much time. They're asking $4850 and the lowest he would go was $4300. I'm having a hard time seeing myself spending that on it when it needs so much to bring it back to factory condition (see my original post). KBB has it's value as $2350 (I'm saying it's in FAIR condition) but I don't know how realistic that is. Thoughts anyone?

Chip in SC

Last edited by ipchay61; 10-16-2006 at 11:41 AM..
Old 10-16-2006, 03:24 PM   #6
GY67

Boy I'm not sure what to tell you on price. I know here in NE Iowa right now that car would proabably be worth anywhere from $3k to 4K with it's present miles and condition by picture and description. I bought a 47,xxx mile 92 LX 5.0 vert. this past Spring for 3K so that might help you, in a round about way, figure the value of that car. I'm not sure but in your area that car might be worth more, I don't know. I will agree with you though if your having trouble making up your mind now to cough up the money to buy it in it's current condition don't do it. To me there is nothing worse then sitting on a car all Winter long that you wish you hadn't spent the money on.
GY67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 03:42 PM   #7
wigsite

In my opinion, there are way too many of these for sale to pay 4,300 for that thing. I think I would be more in the 2,000 - 2,500 range based on your description.
wigsite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:29 AM   #8
Chris-90LX
Ambassador
2010 Donating Member

Chip, whatever you do, don't tell Bowers where the car is!
You must know by now how much the group of them will try to corner the market on Ultra Blue cars with the titanium stripe! None are safe!

First, is this car like on consignment or is it actually owned by the used car lot? If it’s on consignment, the owner can often be located and a realistic selling price can sometimes be reached.

In either case, they can’t be onto the car for that much money. Also, is there a prime time season in SC for either buying or selling these types of cars? Up north, it’s the time to be buying them as winter is approaching and plans have to be made for winter storage.

Anyway, look at it this way, is the car resembling (the end item of) what you are actually looking to own, drive and care for? Spending over $4k for soemthing that isn't the way you want it might not be the best way to go.

In your eyes, what will it cost you to fix the stuff the car has wrong with it? Add up what you could be spending from fixing the ashtray door to the autobody work and heater core.

In a private sale, what would a 125k mile GT like this sell for with or w/o the modifications?
Chris-90LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 09:34 AM   #9
gregpro50

Dont even think of buying that car for that price. I bought my '92 GT with 72,000 miles for $2200 and it runs and drives like new. I realize I found a good deal on mine but realistically that car you are looking at is a $2500 car tops.

Keep looking. They're out there.
'82 GT T-top
'85 asc McLaren coupe
'86 SVO 2R
'87 Fiero GT 3800 V6 supercharged
'90 GT vert
'92 GT
'94 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC
gregpro50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:29 AM   #10
Chris-90LX
Ambassador
2010 Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregpro50
Dont even think of buying that car for that price.

Keep looking. They're out there.
You could be into this car for like $6-7 before you get the final end item that you are looking for.

I'd imagine you could find a similar experienced car in a lot better shape for that $3-5 range.
Chris-90LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 01:52 PM   #11
MoDo

id walk away just for the simple fact that they said the heads were shaved... you don't know who was in there and what the really did

Old 10-18-2006, 02:44 PM   #12
ipchay61

Thanks for the posts guys! The car is owned by the used lot (They call themselves a "Wholesale" Lot...HA! Wholesale my @$$). The salesman called me back yesterday and told me his boss said I could buy it for the low price of $3950. I laughed and said he would have to come down A LOT more than that. I'm really looking for a decent car in as close to factory condition as possible, that can be driven while being reconditioned.

Not really a good "car buying season" here. We rarely even have nightime temps below freezing and maybe 5 days a year when the high stays below 32. Most days get to at least 50.

I've already added up what needs to be done to the car to put it back close to what I want. Came up to $2750 not counting the engine and suspension. I was going to go by Saturday and offer $1900. I really don't see myself paying more than $2300 for it.

Thanks again!

Chip in SC

Last edited by ipchay61; 10-18-2006 at 04:37 PM..
Old 10-18-2006, 02:54 PM   #13
MustangGTorg-David
GT Registry Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoDo
id walk away just for the simple fact that they said the heads were shaved... you don't know who was in there and what the really did

Yeah the guy I bought my Boss 302 from "freshend" the motor. About 3 months after owning it it started missing. Long story short, found he dropped a bolt down the cyl intake and it had jammed the valve open and broke the valve spring.

ALOT of people think they know how to rebuild/set up motors when they REALLY dont

1965 Mustang Coupe
1991 Mustang GT Hatchback
1991 Mustang GT Hatchback (given to youngest daughter)
1991 Mustang GT convert (sold to ???)
1992 Mustang GT Hatchback (given to oldest daughter)
MustangGTorg-David is offline   Reply With Quote