1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry - www.mustanggt.org
Dedicated to the documentation and preservation of
1982-1993 Mustang GT's
since 1994!!
Home | About Us | REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!! | GT Registry Statistics | Info By Year | Reference Gallery
Forums | Classifieds | Interactive Decoders | Production Numbers | GT Articles | Factory Literature | Info Needed | Donations
This message board and web site has been made possible through donations from: List of Contributors THANK YOU!!!!   
1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board  

Welcome to the 1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board!!

We're glad you're here! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view lists of topics, our GT Registry articles & information and access some of our other FREE features. By joining our community, you will have access to read and post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board > General Tech > Maintenance, Troubleshooting and Diagnosis
Register FAQ Members List Referrals Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read
Info NEEDED!!REFERENCE GALLERY!!REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!!GT Registry StatsInfo By YearAbout Us

Maintenance, Troubleshooting and Diagnosis Need help? Having troubles with your GT? Need some maintenance tips? Ask your questions here.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:50 PM   #1
Jerry: BLACK 85 GT h/b
Ambassador
2009 Donating Member

Default Off track...

... or, I hijacked my own thread about seat braces!

If you didn't see my troubles I added on the front seat post, here's an update:

A couple weeks ago, it started stumbling. I cleaned/ re-oiled my Spectre air filter and replaced my fuel filter and the trouble cleared up. Then it started again.
I examined as best I could and found my electric choke wouldn't stay adjusted because the gasket was too squashed. I replaced the gasket and it got better, but not great.
Then we had two VERY wet days and the cat stalled 4 times!!! Just what I needed: a staled car, in the rain and not able to push it of the road OR try to fix it on the roadside!!! Fortunately, it started right back up and I was able to get it home.
FFWD to the shop.
My Edelbrock carb was leaking from several gaskets and the distributor was 'wobbly', so wouldn't keep time set! Cost at garage: $860!!! (Oh, to be physically able to do this work myself!!!)

Then, they still had trouble, which turned out to stem from the DuraSparkII module!!! The black plastic had TOTALLY MELTED down the fender wall!!! It was under the box and invisible with the box in place!

Bad news that brings good news (finally)! Shop will only charge me their price for the module and NO labor charge!

Hoping to be back on the tarmac tomorrow around noon!

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. Thomas Jefferson
“The best government is that which governs least.”
variously attributed

A/R "Swirl" wheels
FRPP clutch/flywheel
subframe connectors
BBK catted H-Pipe
Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust
Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold

Click HERE to REGISTER YOUR GT!
Jerry: BLACK 85 GT h/b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:22 AM   #2
Ambassador
2009 Donating Member

"Hoping to be back on the tarmac tomorrow around noon! "

Well, that didn't happen! I was busy all weekend after the car was back. I needed to go to the bank today. I got in and it took a full 15 minutes to start!

I opened the hood to check if a plug wire had come loose because it was acting like one or two cylinders were not firing. All were tight, BUT the new distributow cap (on the new distributor) was loose enough to turn in both direction almost 1/4 inch! (Remember this!)

Ran rough all the way toward the garage, stalling 3 times! pulled in to their lot and stalled twice more.

But the fun has just begun!

I keep my cool, explaining that, after all the money I just laid down, I really expected more! "We'll take care of it."
I told him about the looseness of the distributor cap. He said he'd speak to the mechanic.

So I go outside for a short walk, because i was trying to hold myself in check.
I hear the sound of LNor's exhaust as the mechanic drove past me. OK, at least they got right on it.

About 30 minutes later, I go back and see LNor sitting in the 'done' area.

I go to the desk and the guy tells me that the mechanic told him 'those new distributors like MSD and others have some play in them'.

As I drive home, the car started off fine...
and...gradually...got...worse... ...
and... f.i.n.a.l.l....y stalled as I pulled into my driveway!

I'd had it! I called. When the guy answered, I told him simply,
"I'll be back in the morning."

So, ladies and gentlemen, I ask you:
Do these 'new distributors' have 'some play' in the cap, or am I being fed a load of bullpucky???

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. Thomas Jefferson
variously attributed

A/R "Swirl" wheels
FRPP clutch/flywheel
subframe connectors
BBK catted H-Pipe

Old 04-21-2017, 10:04 PM   #3
mike g
2010 Donating Member

I don't know about the play, but I've just heard bad things about all the aftermarket distributors for our cars. So, that's why I stay with oem distributors.

I just checked my distributor and there's zero play in it. Are the caps on the msd distributors held on the same way as stock(the metal springy hold downs?)? Maybe they can be bent to hold the cap on tighter?

mike

1967 F350 stake bed
1986 mustang gt
2006 F150 fx4 5.4L
mike g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:02 PM   #4
Ambassador
2009 Donating Member

Well, Mike, (I'm sorry it too so long) I taught the mechanic a new technical term for what he was telling me!
BULLPUCKEY!!!
I told his boss AND showed him the amount of play. No exaggeration, it was at least 1/8" in each direction! It was not the distributor; it was the lower half of the body of the distributor AND the cap in addition! I'd never seen a distributor built this way, but I'm experienced enough to know that any play is going to keep the timing from being consistent!
The boss called another (older) guy over. That guy said, "That's not supposed to do that!" So he was assigned to make it right!
It took another day to get a brand new Motorcraft distributor and install it. They also upgraded my ignition coil to an Accel unit. All at no charge (you better believe!!!)
The car now runs very, very smoothly!!!

Now, I let you all go back to follow my further misadventures with my driver's seat!!!

variously attributed

A/R "Swirl" wheels
FRPP clutch/flywheel
subframe connectors
BBK catted H-Pipe

Old 04-24-2017, 08:26 PM   #5
mike g
2010 Donating Member

NICE! Glad to hear it all worked out in the end.

1967 F350 stake bed
1986 mustang gt
2006 F150 fx4 5.4L
mike g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:51 AM   #6
Ambassador
2009 Donating Member

Better than I had imagined while it was in progress! Thanks, Mike.

variously attributed

A/R "Swirl" wheels
FRPP clutch/flywheel
subframe connectors
BBK catted H-Pipe