1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry - www.mustanggt.org
Dedicated to the documentation and preservation of
1982-1993 Mustang GT's
since 1994!!
Home | About Us | REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!! | GT Registry Statistics | Info By Year | Reference Gallery
Forums | Classifieds | Interactive Decoders | Production Numbers | GT Articles | Factory Literature | Info Needed | Donations
This message board and web site has been made possible through donations from: List of Contributors THANK YOU!!!!   
1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board  

Welcome to the 1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board!!

We're glad you're here! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view lists of topics, our GT Registry articles & information and access some of our other FREE features. By joining our community, you will have access to read and post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board > Announcements > Welcome New Members
Register FAQ Members List Referrals Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read
Info NEEDED!!REFERENCE GALLERY!!REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!!GT Registry StatsInfo By YearAbout Us

Welcome New Members A little area to welcome our newest members! New members stop in here and introduce yourself to the rest of the group!!

Old 04-17-2017, 08:51 AM   #1
PeteH

Default Newbie

Hi all,
Been looking around for a few days and found some interesting info here. Great site!

I have a 1993 GT Convertible 5 speed that I bought last year from the second owner. At the time of purchase it had 24,790 original miles, it now has 25,116.
The only non original items on the car seem to be the radiator, the battery, wiper blades and filters. Person I bought it from also claims three of the tires are original but I have not decoded the sidewalls to confirm.

Exterior color "EY" Performance Red.
Black top, all black interior with cloth seats. Trim code "DJ"
Should also have a factory cd player but it was replaced sometime with a standard factory cassette player.
If anyone has a 1993 factory cd player for sale please let me know

Last edited by PeteH; 04-18-2017 at 05:07 AM..
PeteH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:14 PM   #2
Jerry: BLACK 85 GT h/b
Ambassador
2009 Donating Member

Thumbs up

WELCOME, PETE!!!
You found what I humbly call the greatest site for these Mustangs! It's been my home since I got my '85 from my late brother back in 2002!
That is a very clean car! That engine bay is restaurant clean!
I hope you keep hanging around and discover the kind of family atmosphere we pride ourselves on.
WELCOME!

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. Thomas Jefferson
“The best government is that which governs least.”
variously attributed

A/R "Swirl" wheels
FRPP clutch/flywheel
subframe connectors
BBK catted H-Pipe
Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust
Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold

Click HERE to REGISTER YOUR GT!
Jerry: BLACK 85 GT h/b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:04 PM   #3
PeteH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry: BLACK 85 GT h/b View Post
WELCOME, PETE!!!
You found what I humbly call the greatest site for these Mustangs! It's been my home since I got my '85 from my late brother back in 2002!
That is a very clean car! That engine bay is restaurant clean!
I hope you keep hanging around and discover the kind of family atmosphere we pride ourselves on.
WELCOME!

Thank you, Jerry
1985 GT's were my first car love.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:03 AM   #4
Augie88GT

Hi Pete,

Welcome to the site!!!

It sounds like you got a great low mileage Mustang GT in original condition. Personally, I prefer them in original condition. The more original they are, the better.

But many people prefer modified ones.

My 1988 Mustang GT is also all original. It has even less mileage than yours.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:35 PM   #5
fb93
2010 Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteH View Post
If anyone has a 1993 factory cd player for sale please let me know
Welcome.

I do not have an extra cd player for sale, but you can use a cd player from other Ford models. The differences between them are the faceplate, the absence of the storage tray mounting bracket, blue as well as green displays (Fox used green), and possibly the connections on the backside. If the connections match, it will work.

The Fox and early-mid 90s F150 only shared the same faceplate, but the F150 and the rest did not use a storage tray so you will have to swap the mounting bracket from your tape player, or fabricate your own. That bracket is a Fox only piece. I cant find my original tape deck to see if the bottom tray will swap with the cd player (its in a box somewhere), but i dont believe it did. Its been a while.

To remove the tape deck, you will need the proper tools. I use the 'U' shaped tools. Push them in and bend them inwards a little. Should slide right out. Once removed, there should be a small hanger on the backside of the tape deck, and a flat strip of steel just above that the hanger rides on. That strip fights me everytime.

Last edited by fb93; 05-01-2017 at 01:38 PM..
fb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 03:25 PM   #6
PeteH

Quote:
Originally Posted by fb93 View Post
Welcome.

I do not have an extra cd player for sale, but you can use a cd player from other Ford models. The differences between them are the faceplate, the absence of the storage tray mounting bracket, blue as well as green displays (Fox used green), and possibly the connections on the backside. If the connections match, it will work.

The Fox and early-mid 90s F150 only shared the same faceplate, but the F150 and the rest did not use a storage tray so you will have to swap the mounting bracket from your tape player, or fabricate your own. That bracket is a Fox only piece. I cant find my original tape deck to see if the bottom tray will swap with the cd player (its in a box somewhere), but i dont believe it did. Its been a while.

To remove the tape deck, you will need the proper tools. I use the 'U' shaped tools. Push them in and bend them inwards a little. Should slide right out. Once removed, there should be a small hanger on the backside of the tape deck, and a flat strip of steel just above that the hanger rides on. That strip fights me everytime.

I purchased a CD Head unit from a 1998 Contour with premium sound and other than the 1993 Mustang specific bottom plate/cubby mount it was a simple plug and play. I was able to swap the bottom plate from my 1993 cassette player to the Contour head unit but it isn't a perfect fit. It does physically fit but the the screw holes don't line up at the back so there is no way to have some sort of mechanical fastener(#8 torx bit that Ford uses) and the mounting tabs in the front don't fit all that well either.
Also, the later year cd players like the Contour have a face plate that is more rounded than the Mustang face plate
I was lucky enough to find a CD head unit out of a 1995 F-150/Bronco which is a perfect visual match to the original Mustang CD Head unit but still has the same problem with mounting the bottom plate/cubby mount.
While searching ebay again last weekend I was able to find another F-150 CD head unit.
I went from zero cd players to three cd players in a week.
I'm going to try and find another bottom plate/cubby mount to go with my extra F150 Head unit and sell it as a complete drop in

Thanks for your help
Great site
Old 05-01-2017, 04:14 PM   #7
PeteH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie88GT View Post
Hi Pete,

Welcome to the site!!!

It sounds like you got a great low mileage Mustang GT in original condition. Personally, I prefer them in original condition. The more original they are, the better.
But many people prefer modified ones.

My 1988 Mustang GT is also all original. It has even less mileage than yours.
Thanks,
Sounds like you have a great car. Have you made any changes to it or is it still all factory?
I love originals.
Mine just turned 25k. All original other than the filters, wipers, battery and one tire.
Marti report shows my car is 1 of 15
They did get the color wrong. It's actually Performance red. Original owner had Vibrant Red touch up paint and it's not even close. I Also did a paint correction and can confirm it is single stage paint

Factory Alt. still marked "GT"

Last edited by PeteH; 05-01-2017 at 04:19 PM..