1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry - www.mustanggt.org
Dedicated to the documentation and preservation of
1982-1993 Mustang GT's
since 1994!!
Home | About Us | REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!! | GT Registry Statistics | Info By Year | Reference Gallery
Forums | Classifieds | Interactive Decoders | Production Numbers | GT Articles | Factory Literature | Info Needed | Donations
This message board and web site has been made possible through donations from: List of Contributors THANK YOU!!!!   
1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board  

Welcome to the 1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board!!

We're glad you're here! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view lists of topics, our GT Registry articles & information and access some of our other FREE features. By joining our community, you will have access to read and post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board > Other Topics > The Front Porch
Register FAQ Members List Referrals Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read
Info NEEDED!!REFERENCE GALLERY!!REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!!GT Registry StatsInfo By YearAbout Us

The Front Porch Kick back, relax and get to know everybody - tell us about yourself, share stories, bench race, talk about non 1982-1993 GT related topics, etc. (This is NOT anything goes - please keep it clean and civil!) NO political posts, please. Also, please do not list items for sale here - they will be deleted without notice.

Old 03-11-2001, 08:34 PM   #1
MustangGTorg
GT Registry Founders

Wink

As a result of the blown headgaskets experienced last fall at the Road America SAAC Open Track event (see the full story here), our '91 GT has been sitting all winter minus the top end of the motor. We had the heads checked last fall but decided to wait over the winter to do anything else to the car.

David finally pulled the motor today... we'll be taking it to a engine shop to have them replace the bearings and put in a new Crane cam and Canton oil pan.

Here's what we'll be putting in new... (Canton oil pan, windage tray, bigger injectors, Crane cam)

Just thought I'd try out posting some photos on the new message board!

Kathy

------------------
David & Kathy Bowers
1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry
www.mustanggt.org
1965 Mustang coupe (stock)
1985 Mustang GT hatchback (daily driver)
1991 Mustang GT hatchback (open track/autocross)
1998 Expedition (family hauler & tow vehicle)

[This message has been edited by MustangGTorg (edited 03-11-2001).]
MustangGTorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2001, 11:18 PM   #2
Carl

I jealous! Which cam? I have my Crane 2030 sitting on my work bench waiting to go in but first there is new springs, roller rockers, double roller timing chain . . .

Well you know! It always looks easier on paper!

David looks pretty cold! It was 64 today here in Newburgh. (there, did I make you jealous now?)

------------------
1987 Medium Cabernet Red Mustang GT Convertible (with lots of mods!)
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2001, 11:22 PM   #3
Goodson

Thumbs up

man!!! that looks too much like work!!!! LOL

I have plans to pull the engine in my 88 this fall.

Hey carl.....what made you get the 2030 cam. I am trying to get ideas.

Bowers.......good luck and I hope y'all get it done in time to get into a race or two this season.
Goodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2001, 11:53 PM   #4
MustangGTorg
GT Registry Founders

Cool

Carl, the cam is a 2031. We've got the 1.72 roller rockers and HP Motorsport recommended it as the one that would work the best with those and the rest of our combination.

64 degrees! That's disgusting - LOL! It was around 30 degrees here, windy and raining/sleeting when we were out there working on the car.

It was pretty cold out there - certainly not an ideal day to do it, but the machine shop said they start getting busy this time of the year. We've got our local Mustang club's first autocross coming up in May, so David wanted to take the engine there, get it worked on and back in the car ASAP so we can get some miles on it before we race it.

Thanks, guys!

------------------
David & Kathy Bowers
www.mustanggt.org

[This message has been edited by MustangGTorg (edited 03-11-2001).]
Old 03-12-2001, 01:36 AM   #5
Big K

Question

What do you do to prep for the new engine? Are you planning to detail or scrub clean the engine bay ... or is this too much of a work car to worry about that?
Old 03-12-2001, 01:48 AM   #6
MustangGTorg
GT Registry Founders

Big K - probably won't be doing a whole lot of detailing the engine bay. To do it right, it needs to have everything pulled out of there and a fresh coat of paint.

I doubt that David's going to take the time to do it since the car mostly sees action out on the track and autocrossing only. We'll probably do some scrubbing to get all the grease and grime off the best we can and call it good for now.

------------------
David & Kathy Bowers
www.mustanggt.org
Old 03-12-2001, 03:32 AM   #7
Carl

Quote:
Originally posted by Goodson:
Hey carl.....what made you get the 2030 cam. I am trying to get ideas.
Hey Goodson,

It was actually part of a trade. My friend is putting in a Lunatti cam and had this available for trade. That's how I got my 140 speedo, mass air, 65mm throttle body. I just love trades!

------------------
1987 Medium Cabernet Red Mustang GT Convertible (with lots of mods!)
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 07:07 PM   #8
ToddB

Hi Bowers,

Thanks for getting back so quick with my password. Looks like you've got a pretty good shop to work in. I noticed that on your '91 in some of the pictures the fog lights are out. Are you using the fog light openings to duck air to the engine or brakes? Both of my fog lights are broken. After seeing them out on yours I think I'll take the broken lenses and assemblies out of mine and see how it looks. Thanks Todd
ToddB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 07:34 PM   #9
MustangGTorg
GT Registry Founders

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by ToddB:
Thanks for getting back so quick with my password.
No problem - glad to see you found your way in.

Quote:
Originally posted by ToddB:
I noticed that on your '91 in some of the pictures the fog lights are out. Are you using the fog light openings to duck air to the engine or brakes?
We're using them for brake ducts - each side has a duct running from the fog light hole and back to each front rotor. Works very well, too.

Kathy

------------------
David & Kathy Bowers
www.mustanggt.org
Old 03-12-2001, 09:35 PM   #10
Wes93GT

Where can I get the cash to affod a nice cherry picker like that! Next time I need some engine work I'll have to take a drive down to the Bowers' house! LOL! Keep us posted on how the new combination turns out!

PS. BOWERS - your GT is an automatic right? What kind of upgrades (to the tranny) have you done?

------------------
Wes

1993 Mustang GT Hatchback
Canadians can bring it...
Blue5Liter.com
Old 03-12-2001, 11:02 PM   #11
MustangGTorg
GT Registry Founders

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Wes93GT:
Where can I get the cash to affod a nice cherry picker like that! Next time I need some engine work I'll have to take a drive down to the Bowers' house! LOL!
LOL! Sorry Wes... that's not our cherry picker (unfortunately ). We borrowed it from another guy in our local Mustang club (I might add a VERY nice guy seeing as how we've had to borrow it twice in the last year and a half).

Oh, what the heck, I'll share some more photos. Here's some photos from almost exactly one year ago (nearly the same photos - only a different car, my '65 Mustang coupe). BTW, notice how much nicer the weather was at this time last year!

Quote:
Originally posted by Wes93GT:
PS. BOWERS - your GT is an automatic right? What kind of upgrades (to the tranny) have you done?
Well, our car was originally an automatic, but now it's a five speed. The AOD died while we were at an open track event at Road America back in 1995. Basically, too much 1-2-1 manual shifting burned it up. It did have a B&M shift kit, but no other modifications.

Kathy

------------------
David & Kathy Bowers
www.mustanggt.org