1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry - www.mustanggt.org
Dedicated to the documentation and preservation of
1982-1993 Mustang GT's
since 1994!!
Home | About Us | REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!! | GT Registry Statistics | Info By Year | Reference Gallery
Forums | Classifieds | Interactive Decoders | Production Numbers | GT Articles | Factory Literature | Info Needed | Donations
This message board and web site has been made possible through donations from: List of Contributors THANK YOU!!!!   
1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board  

Welcome to the 1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board!!

We're glad you're here! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view lists of topics, our GT Registry articles & information and access some of our other FREE features. By joining our community, you will have access to read and post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board > Other Topics > Humor
Register FAQ Members List Referrals Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read
Info NEEDED!!REFERENCE GALLERY!!REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!!GT Registry StatsInfo By YearAbout Us

Humor Post your funny stuff here! Videos, Jokes, you name it! Please keep it clean!

Old 06-01-2010, 06:28 PM   #1
Jerry: BLACK 85 GT h/b
Ambassador
2009 Donating Member

Default Another 'Agist' rant!

Agist: an older person who is prejudiced against spoiled-brat yoounger people.

If you are 30, or older, you might think this is hilarious!

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were. When they were growing up; what with walking twenty-five miles to school every morning.... Uphill... Barefoot... BOTH ways… yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on my kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!

But now that I'm over the ripe old age of sixty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today. You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in Utopia!
And I hate to say it, but you kids today, you don't know how good you've got it!

I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have the Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalog!! ("Huh? What's that?")

There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter - with a pen! Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox, and it would take like a week to get there! Stamps were 10 cents!

Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us. As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to kick our butts! Then they'd call our house and when we got there, we'd get beat again! Nowhere was safe!

There were no MP3's or Napsters or iTunes! If you wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the record store and shoplift it yourself!

For a long time, all radios were only AM. When our parents weren't listening to the news or sports, they might klet us listen to a 'kids' station' with Rock n Roll. If you knew a cool kid with his own car, he might have a 'reverb' in the back seat.

Then came FM, then 8- Track players, then cassettes. Cassettes were cool- you could tape your own favorite music off your 45's or LP's. Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio, and the DJ would usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up! There were no CD players! We had tape decks in our car. We'd play our favorite tape and "eject" it when finished, and then the tape would come undone rendering it useless. Cause, hey, that's how we rolled, Baby! Dig?

We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called, they got a busy signal, that's it!

There weren't any freakin' cell phones either. If you left the house, you just didn't make a call or receive one. You actually had to be out of touch with your "friends". OH MY!!! Think of the horror... not being in touch with someone 24/7!!! And then there's TEXTING. Yeah, right. Please! You kids have no idea how annoying you are.

And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your parents, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, the collection agent... you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

We didn't have any fancy PlayStation or Xbox video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'Asteroids'. Your screen guy was a little square! You actually had to use your imagination!!! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen... Forever! And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your butt and walk over to the TV to change the channel!!! NO REMOTES!!! Oh, no, what's the world coming to?!?!

There was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying? We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-finks! (Don't even ask me what that is!)

And we didn't have microwaves. If we wanted to heat something up, we had to use the stove! Imagine that!

And our parents told us to stay outside and play... all day long. Oh, no, no electronics to soothe and comfort. And if you came back inside... you were doing chores!

And car seats - oh, please! Mom threw you in the back seat and you hung on. If you were luckily, you got the "safety arm" across the chest at the last moment if she had to stop suddenly, and if your head hit the dashboard, well that was your fault for calling "shot gun" in the first place!
See! That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled rotten! You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 'my day'!

Regards,
The Over 30 Crowd

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. Thomas Jefferson
“The best government is that which governs least.”
variously attributed

A/R "Swirl" wheels
FRPP clutch/flywheel
subframe connectors
BBK catted H-Pipe
Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust
Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold

Click HERE to REGISTER YOUR GT!
Jerry: BLACK 85 GT h/b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:26 AM   #2
Shadow 1

They wouldn't last 30 seconds of my childhood, especially my kids. They think it's work to unload a dish washer.

85 GT T-Top

THE

Quote:
Women are like cars, sometimes you find one you fall in love with, and sometimes you end up with a lemon.
Shadow 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:41 PM   #3
mmb617

This all brings back such fond memories. During summer vacation from school we played outside all day everyday, and it actually required physical exertion. It was pretty rough. You spent all summer with scrapes, cuts and bruises on your body in various states of healing.

We rode our bikes everywhere and never wore a helmet. I don't think there was such a thing as a bicyclist helmet. We were always racing each other or seeing who could do the best stunts so there were lots of crashes.

We played tackle football with no pads or helmets on hard packed dirt lots. We played a game called "ball tigger" which was tag but you hit somebody with a half deflated kick ball to make them it. Of course you tried to throw the ball as hard as you could. You could actually take the legs out from under a runner if you hit them just right.

Only the serious injuries got medical attention, like broken bones, everything else you were expected to shake it off, bandage it up if bleeding too much and resume play. At least one of the gang had a cast on every summer.

Riding in the car. There were nine of us kids in my family and my dad drove a '63 Valiant station wagon. That's a pretty small car. There'd be mom, dad, and a couple kids in the front seat, the baby on mom's lap, couple more kids in the back seat and the rest in the cargo area way in the back. Seat belts? I don't think so! Later dad also got a pickup truck so when the family went somewhere in it the smallest kids rode in the cab with mom and dad and the rest piled into the bed.

We all survived and in fact thrived. I think I had a great childhood. Given the choice I'd never trade it for what kids have now.

Old Fart Drag Racing - If you're not having fun, then you're taking this stuff too seriously.
mmb617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:18 PM   #4
Ambassador
2009 Donating Member

I know what you mean about 'only the serious injuries' getting treatment!!! We had a 'rite of passage' in the projects where I grew up. There was a 5' high picket fence about 30 yards long. To 'qualify' as a cool kid, you had to walk the length of that fence on the 2"x4" along the top of it. On my first try, I fell off, landing flat on my back with the wind knocked out of me. You didn't dare go home and report it- you waited, then climbed back on and tried again! ( I made it on my second crossing! )

We'd always unofficially 'open' swimming season on Memorial Day by sneaking into the local pond. Keep in mind, Memorial Day in Massachusetts can still get plenty cold. The swimming hole didn't officially open until scholl got out in late June!

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. Thomas Jefferson
variously attributed

A/R "Swirl" wheels
FRPP clutch/flywheel
subframe connectors
BBK catted H-Pipe

Old 06-02-2010, 07:47 PM   #5
rjs86gt

The summer of 1969 or thereabouts, my younger brother, the neighbor next door and I spent something like two weeks building a bike track in the outlot between our homes. We dug all the ground up and pulled out all the weeds. Then we raked and de-rocked the whole thing to get a nice smooth track so we could race each other on our 20" AMF stingray bikes. The kid next door had a three-speed and was a year older than me, so he had a bit of an advantage. Ahh youth.

Other vehicles in the fleet -
2011 Chevrolet HHR
2002 Chrysler Voyager - 310,000 miles
1999 Mercury Sable with DOHC 3.0L 220,000 miles
rjs86gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:22 PM   #6
Chris-90LX
Ambassador
2010 Donating Member

When I was a kid, we didn't own a color TV set until like 1970. My kids whine because we don't have the huge wide sreen TV that "everyone else" seems to have. We never bought those game systems either. The X-Box and the like never settled here.
Chris-90LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:04 PM   #7
Ambassador
2009 Donating Member

A few weeks ago, we saw an X-Box on sale for like $75 at a yard sale!!!

variously attributed

A/R "Swirl" wheels
FRPP clutch/flywheel
subframe connectors
BBK catted H-Pipe

Old 06-03-2010, 07:54 PM   #8
Shadow 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry: BLACK 85 GT h/b
A few weeks ago, we saw an X-Box on sale for like $75 at a yard sale!!!
I still think that's overpriced, especially for a yard sale.

85 GT T-Top

THE

Quote:
Women are like cars, sometimes you find one you fall in love with, and sometimes you end up with a lemon.
Shadow 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:32 PM   #9
Ambassador
2009 Donating Member

It was beyond my paygrade, but it had a lot of the accessories my grandkids want- but he'd only sell the lot, no separates.

variously attributed

A/R "Swirl" wheels
FRPP clutch/flywheel
subframe connectors
BBK catted H-Pipe

Old 06-08-2010, 03:40 AM   #10
MustangCop

Ahhhh youth is wasted on the young.

I guess I'm still trying to hang on to the old ways. I didn't get a cell phone untill last year when the department issued me one. I don't own an MP3 player, in fact I just recently got a CD player. My wife insisted that we get a computer and the internet a few years back, so since the Boss cracked the whip I gave in. I didn't even have cable TV untill we moved into our new house 4 years ago.

My kids think I'm nuts, but as soon as I retire I'm throwing my cell phone in the ocean, along with my computer.

Growing up we didn't have cable TV, cell phones, or any of the other. I remember in the early '80s begging my father for an Atari, and never got it. I remember riding my bicycle or walking anywhere I wanted to go (interesting proposition for me because my nearest neighbor was 5 miles away, and the nearest town was 20). My parents never bought a 4 door car, and with 2 younger brothers untill I graduated from high school we had to climb over the front seat to get in and out of our 1982 LTD Crown Vic.

Just two days ago my oldest daughter and I were talking about her getting a job during the summer, she was asking if I would drive her around town to get applications, and then drive her to work when she got a job. I informed her that gas costs money, and that she could take her LPC's (Leather Personell Carriers to you civilians out there). She couldn't understand the concept of walking 1 mile to work.

Hullabaloo!!!
MustangCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:21 AM   #11
Ambassador
2009 Donating Member

LPC's!!!
I know about "go-faster's", too!!!

variously attributed

A/R "Swirl" wheels
FRPP clutch/flywheel
subframe connectors
BBK catted H-Pipe

Old 06-10-2010, 10:24 PM   #12
ddwood55

Ah yes, the good ole days. A couple of friend and I would spend all summer riding our bikes on all the old dirt roads, we lived 2 miles out of town and had to cross the white river to get into town, we never tried that. Thought about it at times but never did. But we would take off on those bikes and be gone till dusk. Our mom's never knew where we were. Didn't have cell phones with GPS so they could track us.

Going on a trip and laying on the shelf, as we called it. Your dad had to slam on the brakes for anything, you were going to end up in the floor board, of course my sisters would usually break my fall!

I've had may rear end wore out with a belt more times than I care to remember. And on top of that I was a little hard headed so it some times took more than once for me to get the picture!

They have just got it too easy now days!

But I have to admit, I do like todays technology. Heck with out the web how would a keep up with all of you. I've never met any of you but feel like we are life long friends. really cool.

Cell phones, I could do with out. But not if my wife has anything to say about. If I leave the house without mine, boy am I going to hear about it! Sometimes I think she's going to pull out that belt my mom used to use.

Yes I do have a Wii.

And one other thing. Praise the Lord for fuel injection, I'd never go back to a carb!

1991 Mustang Gt Convertible 347

1985 Mercury Capri RS 5.0 (Sold, so sad to see go)

2005 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4

1998 Ford Explorer XLT

ddwood55 is offline   Reply With Quote