1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry - www.mustanggt.org
Dedicated to the documentation and preservation of
1982-1993 Mustang GT's
since 1994!!
Home | About Us | REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!! | GT Registry Statistics | Info By Year | Reference Gallery
Forums | Classifieds | Interactive Decoders | Production Numbers | GT Articles | Factory Literature | Info Needed | Donations
This message board and web site has been made possible through donations from: List of Contributors THANK YOU!!!!   
1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board  

Welcome to the 1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board!!

We're glad you're here! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view lists of topics, our GT Registry articles & information and access some of our other FREE features. By joining our community, you will have access to read and post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board > General Tech > Maintenance, Troubleshooting and Diagnosis
Register FAQ Members List Referrals Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read
Info NEEDED!!REFERENCE GALLERY!!REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!!GT Registry StatsInfo By YearAbout Us

Maintenance, Troubleshooting and Diagnosis Need help? Having troubles with your GT? Need some maintenance tips? Ask your questions here.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:19 AM   #1
Jerry: BLACK 85 GT h/b
Ambassador
2009 Donating Member

Exclamation Front seat braces!!!

In one of my posts, I mentioned all the engine bay work done on LNor; she screams now!
And that brings me to my post!
I got on it the other day and almost landed in the back seat!!! The bolts in the seat brace came loose! I can drive the car, IF I take off slowly and keep my weight low against the seat back. Obviously, I'd rather have it secured!!!

So, has anyone ever had to deal with this?
Is the brace that accepts the bolts welded to the floor pan?
Is it possible to move the carpeting and just re-install the bolts, or do I have to replace the brace, too?

I'm asking for advice because I cannot bend, and twist and kneel to investigate because of my back surgery and residual nerve damage.

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. Thomas Jefferson
“The best government is that which governs least.”
variously attributed

A/R "Swirl" wheels
FRPP clutch/flywheel
subframe connectors
BBK catted H-Pipe
Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust
Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold

Click HERE to REGISTER YOUR GT!
Jerry: BLACK 85 GT h/b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:47 PM   #2
art51059

Default Been there ...

Good Afternoon, Jerry:

I had the same problem on my '82 Mustang. The brace under the seat had rusted away and a new one had to be welded in. That's probably 25 years ago, so I don't remember the cost, but I remember it was a lot less than I expected.

You won't believe the difference the first time you sit in the car afterward.

Glad to hear LNor is up and about; I remember things were looking pretty grim at one point.

Best Regards,
Art
art51059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 02:56 AM   #3
Augie88GT

Hi Jerry,

I have the same problem whenever I eat a lot of beans. Every time I rip out a fart, I wind up in the back seat. Come to think of it, that happens even when I'm not sitting in a car.

Seriously, what Art stated makes sense. I think it all depends upon where the problem is. If it is the bolts, then you just need to replace the bolts. If it is the brace, then you may need to have a new brace welded in.

I know what it feels like to not be able to do things. I haven't been able to do many things (kneeling, bending without getting dizzy, etc.) since I was stricken with my illness when I was 22 years old. But sometimes, you can find ways to circumvent your medical issues. For example, would using a chair (or a stool with wheels) help? Sometimes, when I need to see something that is low, I place one of those cheap plastic patio chairs next to my Mustang, and I sit in it. Then, I can see things form a better perspective. And I don't have to kneel or bend as much.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:22 PM   #4
Ambassador
2009 Donating Member

Thanks, guys! Augie, since my cancer surgery, I honestly don't have the 'musical' problem I once had- hardly ever, in fact! Now, the kneeling, bending, leaning over, dizziness/pain is a lot worse than being musical! LOL!!!

Art, I should have been a bit more informative. The bolts have come out, but they don't seem to catch onto any threads when I try to reinstall them. If I take back the carpet can I access the nuts under the brace? Are they welded to the brace, or are they loose and probably floating around underneath?

I need to try to have these questions answered before I try to kneel down, because I won't last long once I do get under there. If I know I'm going to get right to the problem, that's one thing. I just can't physically afford to spend much time investigating.

Thank again, guys!

Oh, by the way, Dave Bowers, as a Ford advisor, if you have any advice, I'm all ears!

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. Thomas Jefferson
variously attributed

A/R "Swirl" wheels
FRPP clutch/flywheel
subframe connectors
BBK catted H-Pipe

Old 04-13-2017, 07:56 PM   #5
Ambassador
2009 Donating Member

I should add, I had to bring LNor to a shop yesterday! (The mechanic is a Fox enthusiast- no Fox at present, but several in his past)
This is because of my physical limits!
A couple weeks ago, it started stumbling. I cleaned/ re-oiled my Spectre air filter and replaced my fuel filter and the trouble cleared up. Then it started again.
I examined as best I could and found my electric choke wouldn't stay adjusted because the gasket was too squashed. I replaced the gasket and it got better, but not great.
Then we had two VERY wet days and the cat stalled 4 times!!! Just what I needed: a staled car, in the rain and not able to push it of the road OR try to fix it on the roadside!!! Fortunately, it started right back up and I was able to get it home.
FFWD to the shop.
My Edelbrock carb was leaking from several gaskets and the distributor was 'wobbly', so wouldn't keep time set! Cost at garage: $860!!! (Oh, to be physically able to do this work myself!!!)

Then, they still had trouble, which turned out to stem from the DuraSparkII module!!! The black plastic had TOTALLY MELTED down the fender wall!!! It was under the box and invisible with the box in place!

Bad news that brings good news (finally)! Shop will only charge me their price for the module and NO labor charge!

Hoping to be back on the tarmac tomorrow around noon!

variously attributed

A/R "Swirl" wheels
FRPP clutch/flywheel
subframe connectors
BBK catted H-Pipe

Old 04-24-2017, 01:18 PM   #6
Ambassador
2009 Donating Member

In the interest of clarity, this thread started out to be about my driver's seat coming loose. The engine troubles are ironed out and can be followed in "Off Track".

I would remind you that I had serious back surgery close to a year ago. Due to resulting nerve damage, I am on medical leave, and cannot bend, stoop, kneel, etc. for any length of time without a LOT of pain (taking two opioids, conservatively).
But now, the seat sit-uation (another pun intended) has degenerated to the point of a safety risk. Therefore, I am taking bite-size pieces out of trying to diagnose and repair it.

I put a mat on the ground to cushion my knees and give a bit of support. When I checked the front bolts, I found them securely fastened. Same in the back, so why does my seat lift up and the back travel almost to the rear seat???
Because the track on the outboard side has actually SPLIT!!! Once about 3" from the front bolt/ stud, and again just forward of the rear stud!!!

This is so disheartening! After the +/- $1K I spent on the distributor, Duraspark, coil problem, who has whatever $$$ it'll take to fix this??? Maybe I'll start a GoFundMe??? Fat chance!

So now that lunch is done, I'll try to take the entire seat out and see if there's a local welder who may be able to do it up without taking me to the cleaners in the process.

I'll let you know!

variously attributed

A/R "Swirl" wheels
FRPP clutch/flywheel
subframe connectors
BBK catted H-Pipe

Old 04-25-2017, 12:41 PM   #7
Ambassador
2009 Donating Member

Well, I've got almost all the seat out! The shorter end that broke off, is near the back stud, about 4" from the stud. the track itself is twisted, almost as if it had been bent back and forth before breaking!
The saddest discovery is that the place in the floor, in front, where the stud connects to the floor has a huge chunk missing! I know it wasn't like that the time I took the seat out to replace the clutch quadrant about 10 years ago!
I sure hope I don't have to replace that entire floor brace clear across the front of the car!

variously attributed

A/R "Swirl" wheels
FRPP clutch/flywheel
subframe connectors
BBK catted H-Pipe

Last edited by Jerry: BLACK 85 GT h/b; 04-25-2017 at 03:10 PM..
Old 04-25-2017, 08:22 PM   #8
Ambassador
2009 Donating Member

Found a seat track on eBay for $75 w/ free shipping. Will arrive Mon. the 1st!
Now to figure out what to do about the floor mount!

variously attributed

A/R "Swirl" wheels
FRPP clutch/flywheel
subframe connectors
BBK catted H-Pipe

Old 04-28-2017, 12:24 AM   #9
fb93
2010 Donating Member

Those studs have been known to rip out. You can fix it without replacing the brace. Cut the damaged section out and remove the stud along with the block on the backside. Fab a steel plate to fit over the brace. Drill a hole for the stud weld the block to the backside of the plate, then weld the plate to the brace. Just use the seat track as a guide to get the hole in the right spot.

Check the floorpan around the rear mounts for any cracking as well. They sell reinforcements for that (IIRC, the SSP used them), but a skilled welder should have no issues welding any cracks.

Also, check the seat frame itself where the track bolts up.

Last edited by fb93; 04-28-2017 at 12:27 AM..
fb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 02:43 PM   #10
Ambassador
2009 Donating Member

Thanks, Frank! Thank for the response!

The stud threads had, indeed, broken out of the brace! I was pondering welding as you said. Just wasn't sure if it'd been done before.
I have checked all the other bolt/stud holes and all seems well.
I guess my next step will be to remove all flammables from the proximity. All I need would be to set her on fire!

As a testimonial, let me say the seat track I found on eBay was only $75! That included FREE shipping from SC! The seller specializes in Mustang and ---maro parts. The Sellers name is "itsamercury"! My tracks were ordered April 25, and supposed to arrive Monday, the 1st... they arrived YESTERDAY, the 28TH!!! And they are in great condition! I'm definitely going to check them again if I need used parts.

variously attributed

A/R "Swirl" wheels
FRPP clutch/flywheel
subframe connectors
BBK catted H-Pipe

Old 05-01-2017, 11:17 AM   #11
fb93
2010 Donating Member

Glad to help.

Power seats, or manual?
Old 07-06-2017, 12:02 PM   #12
Ambassador
2009 Donating Member

Manual seats.
Found a welder, who usually creates ornate security gates for Big $$$ estates. He said he'd take a look. He had 2 of his guys do the job. They patched in the original piece that broke out and braced it. That aligned the bit perfect;y to the threads! Took them about an hour and it only cost me $80!!! Oh, and they reinstalled the seat afterwards!!!
I am beyond happy
I can actually shift without all sorts of body contortions (OUCH!!!) to keep from going into the back seat!!!

variously attributed

A/R "Swirl" wheels
FRPP clutch/flywheel
subframe connectors
BBK catted H-Pipe

Old 07-11-2017, 01:41 PM   #13
JTurbo

Glad to hear you got this fixed. I've had issues with both the seat mounting points and the tracks breaking / cracking in more than one of my Mustangs over the years....
1986 Mustang GT 'vert
JTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:33 PM   #14
mike g
2010 Donating Member

glad to hear you were able to get it taken care of!

So, whats next on the TO-DO list?

1967 F350 stake bed
1986 mustang gt
2006 F150 fx4 5.4L
mike g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:49 PM   #15
fb93
2010 Donating Member

Good to hear. Felt like a Weeble when mine went. Twisty backroads and a broken seat...fun stuff.