1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry - www.mustanggt.org
Dedicated to the documentation and preservation of
1982-1993 Mustang GT's
since 1994!!
Home | About Us | REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!! | GT Registry Statistics | Info By Year | Reference Gallery
Forums | Classifieds | Interactive Decoders | Production Numbers | GT Articles | Factory Literature | Info Needed | Donations
This message board and web site has been made possible through donations from: List of Contributors THANK YOU!!!!   
1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board  

Welcome to the 1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board!!

We're glad you're here! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view lists of topics, our GT Registry articles & information and access some of our other FREE features. By joining our community, you will have access to read and post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board > Restoration and Originality > Production and Originality
Register FAQ Members List Referrals Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read
Info NEEDED!!REFERENCE GALLERY!!REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!!GT Registry StatsInfo By YearAbout Us

Production and Originality Questions on original equipment, specs, etc. Is my car rare? Is it really a GT? What is it worth? It is original?

Old 01-21-2015, 04:44 PM   #1
Bobs88CobraGT

Smile Mustang Underhood Insulator

My 1988 GT mustang hood insulation pad has always been missing, since I bought the car, but the push pins are there. I have used this registry to try and find what pad I need and who can supply it. There is a lot of good help here but I was still uncertain what I needed. I found different styles and what looked like different colours. It was January the 2nd, you find it helpful 2015, yes the day after New Years, when I got into my car and headed off to my local Ford Dealer in town. When I opened the Parts Department door I was greeted by 2 people. Both were parts people. I think they were the only ones there. I told them I was looking for hood insulation for my 88GT. Both got on their computers and after about 5 minutes one guy says yes we have an original replacement hood insulator for your car. It's in stock and the price is 148.99 in US dollars and can be shipped here in 5 days. According to these people there is only one pad and it fits all 1987 to 1993 mustang GT, LX, or Cobras. The Ford number is E7ZZ-16738-A The pictures for this stuff is in my members gallery. I hope you find it helpful.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:14 AM   #2
art51059

Good Morning, Bob:

I got the pad for my '85 from Late Model Restoration. The pad they show for your car matches the price and applications you were quoted, so it sounds like that's the going rate.

Best Regards,
Art
art51059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:37 PM   #3
Augie88GT

Hi Bob,

It makes sense that the pad would fit all 1987-1993 Mustangs (GT, LX, etc.). They all had the same hood.

This was not the case for 1979-1986 Mustangs.

My first Mustang was a 1980 Mustang Turbo coupe. It came from the factory with a "turbo hood". The hood had a large hole cut in the center, and the reinforcement brackets (cross members under the sheet metal) were not used.

But Ford used the same hood on all 1987-1993 Mustang models. I assume they did this to cut costs.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:17 AM   #4
fb93
2010 Donating Member

The 87-93 hood insulator pads (NOS) are usually in the 145-150 range, but sometimes you get lucky. I got an NOS for my 93 off ebay last year for 135 shipped. The repros are cheaper but they look terrible, and do not have the running horse. I tried one the other year and was not impressed...at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie88GT
But Ford used the same hood on all 1987-1993 Mustang models. I assume they did this to cut costs.
Probably. With the SN95 in the works there was no sense in giving the Fox another remodel which would have meant a new hood, im sure. The tooling costs for a new hood insulator that wouldve been used for maybe 1 year wouldve been a waste.
fb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:45 AM   #5
John,

Its like most things under the hood, only a few people will point out that its not oem...The one I got came with really small push pins so I went out and bought quarter half dollar one....no one has ever said that they were wrong....This was the one I got. I find it hard to believe an em still is on the shelve at a dealership. NOS parts seem to go up in price as they get harder to find...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lrs-16738b_6168.jpg (5.7 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by John,; 01-24-2015 at 10:57 AM..
John, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:22 PM   #6
Augie88GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fb93
Probably. With the SN95 in the works there was no sense in giving the Fox another remodel which would have meant a new hood, im sure. The tooling costs for a new hood insulator that wouldve been used for maybe 1 year wouldve been a waste.
Hi fb,

The hood and insulator pad actually would have been used for 7 years (1987-1993). Unless you are thinking about the 1993 Mustang SVT Cobra, which was a one year issue. For 7 years of use, I think that a different hood for the GT model would have been cost-effective.

Bob's car is a Canadian version of a 1988 Mustang GT, called a 1988 Mustang Cobra GT in Canada. I wasn't even aware of that designation until I joined this site. Many people here in the USA probably don't know that, even Mustang enthusiasts.

That being said, I still think that Ford should have used a different hood on the 1987-1993 Mustang GT (different than a Mustang LX hood), possibly one with an air scoop, like the 1984-1986 Mustang SVO air scoop. And maybe even a third different hood on the 1993 Mustang SVT Cobra. They used 3 different hoods on the 1979-1982 Mustangs, so there is no reason why they couldn't have continued that trend.

Since the 1980s, I've felt that Ford should have called the Mustang LX 5.0 the Mustang GT. And they should have called the Mustang GT the Mustang Cobra. But another company owned the "Cobra" name, and Ford couldn't use it here in the USA (only in Canada).

By the way, you are so lucky that you live in PA. I wish I lived there. Hopefully, someday soon, I'll be living there (the Poconos). I'll certainly be able to enjoy my Mustang GT there much more so than here in New York City.

And Canadians are very fortunate that they live in Canada.