1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry - www.mustanggt.org
Dedicated to the documentation and preservation of
1982-1993 Mustang GT's
since 1994!!
Home | About Us | REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!! | GT Registry Statistics | Info By Year | Reference Gallery
Forums | Classifieds | Interactive Decoders | Production Numbers | GT Articles | Factory Literature | Info Needed | Donations
This message board and web site has been made possible through donations from: List of Contributors THANK YOU!!!!   
1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board  

Welcome to the 1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board!!

We're glad you're here! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view lists of topics, our GT Registry articles & information and access some of our other FREE features. By joining our community, you will have access to read and post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board > General Tech > Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Referrals Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read
Info NEEDED!!REFERENCE GALLERY!!REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!!GT Registry StatsInfo By YearAbout Us

Modifications Changes from the factory stock setup - performance and appearance. What to buy next? What works & what doesn't?

Old 03-11-2014, 09:41 PM   #1
KS 82 GT
Ambassador

Default Aftermarket stereo - skip the amp?

I just bought a new in box Kenwood KRC-3006, circa 1993 off of eBay. I wanted to stay with a two shaft unit and not cut up my black dash. My '82 came with Premium Sound and from what my research through previous threads indicates is that I want to bypass the factory amp. Has anyone ever gotten it to work with an aftermarket unit?

It was also suggested that the factory wiring to the speakers by bypassed, although the Sparkomatic POS that I pulled out of there seemed to work through the factory wiring. Is that necessary? I guess the good news is that if I need to do some wiring to the back speakers, the interior is out so I can easily run the wires.

Hope to get this wired up soon. It'll be the first time I've had tunes in the car since I got it in 2003!
Old 03-14-2014, 08:24 AM   #2
Jeffer65

Default factory wiring

Your factory wiring may not be in great shape anyway. If your interior is out, might be best to rewire the stereo with better wire. Can't really answer your question about the factory amp.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:39 AM   #3
wydopnthrtl

It all comes down to what kind of quality and loudness you want to achieve -vs- how much your willing to spend. The guys at CRUTCHFIELD can build upon what you have or suggest a matching system.
Wal-mart in my area usually has a kit w/tuner & 4spks for $85. I bought one and put it in my daughters car. Honestly, it wasn't half bad. Sounded better than the OEM setup in that 94 pontiac.

I'm taking the system our of my stang to reduce mass. If I'm ever on a road trip I'll just use my i-Phone w/ear buds.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:50 AM   #4
Augie88GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wydopnthrtl
I'm taking the system our of my stang to reduce mass. If I'm ever on a road trip I'll just use my i-Phone w/ear buds.
Wow!!! That is really excessive and extreme - to remove a stereo system to make a car lighter. Ear buds are dangerous. You may not be able to hear outside noises (horn honking, etc.).

Most people here in Staten Island, NY are the exact opposite. They want everyone to know (by blasting it as they are driving) that they have a 50 billion watt stereo system in their cars. When they pass by, my whole house shakes - like an earthquake. You can hear their car stereos half a mile away. And, of course, everyone has excessively tinted windows too.

If your car has air conditioning, removing the entire AC system will make your car lighter too. Actually, I think that deleting the AC system was a factory option available on the 1984-1986 Mustang SVO. If I remember correctly, I think those cars came standard with AC, and it was a "factory delete option".
Old 03-19-2014, 09:56 PM   #5
KS 82 GT
Ambassador

I initially tried using part of the stock wiring. In going through the wiring diagrams it looked like it would be fine, but afterwards I got no sound out of it. I wound up completely bypassing the whole works and running all new wires. The stock 32 year old speakers are craptastic, but will have to do for the moment except for one of the fronts that isn't working at all. I have another pair floating around here somewhere.

Thanks for all the input!
Old 03-20-2014, 05:52 AM   #6
wydopnthrtl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie88GT
Wow!!! That is really excessive and extreme - to remove a stereo system to make a car lighter. Ear buds are dangerous. You may not be able to hear outside noises (horn honking, etc.)....
I'm middle aged, have ringing in my ears 24/7, drive with my windows down, and the flow 40s droning. Dangerous?

Quote:
If your car has air conditioning, removing the entire AC system will make your car lighter too.
That was done before I had plates and ins on it.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:40 AM   #7
Augie88GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wydopnthrtl
That was done before I had plates and ins on it.
How do you tolerate the heat? When I was 22 years old, I preferred air conditioning. The heat was unbearable and intolerable back then. But I was raised in a house that always had AC. Now that I am 46 years old with a serious, chronic medical condition, it is an absolute medical necessity. I could never drive without AC. I would be in serious danger of passing out. When I finally get my 1988 Mustang GT out of storage and back on the road again, it must have a properly working AC system.

I don't know how hot it gets there in Ohio. But here in New York City, the summers have been unbearable for the past 20 years. When I was a kid, the temperature rarely hit 90 degrees. And if it did, it was just for a day or 2. Now, with all of this global warming, the temperature hits 90 degrees, and it just stays there for weeks and weeks on end. It is 90+ degrees for most of the summer. We never had heat like this when I was a kid.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:09 PM   #8
Blown88GT

Quote:
How do you tolerate the heat?...
I don't drive it in the summertime.
ProCharger P600B, FRPP Headers, Flowmaster F2, 3G Alt, Mk8 Fan/DCC, 3.55's, Prog Springs, ST Brace, G/Trac Bar, Subfrms, UCA, LCA, FCA, Tokico 5-ways, C/C Plates, CSA 16x8, Bridgestone RE760 Sport 225/50R16, Megasquirt DIYPNPF60, LC2 wideband, C&L76mm MAF w/30's
Blown88GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:49 PM   #9
Augie88GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown88GT
I don't drive it in the summertime.
That's because you live in FL. The driving seasons are reversed down there.

Does your Mustang have AC? Is it broken? Did you remove it?

My Mustang's AC system was working when it was put into storage in 1992. Hopefully, it just needs a charge and new O-rings.

I have relatives who live in FL (Tampa area). In the summer, the heat is horrendous.