1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry - www.mustanggt.org
Dedicated to the documentation and preservation of
1982-1993 Mustang GT's
since 1994!!
Home | About Us | REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!! | GT Registry Statistics | Info By Year | Reference Gallery
Forums | Classifieds | Interactive Decoders | Production Numbers | GT Articles | Factory Literature | Info Needed | Donations
This message board and web site has been made possible through donations from: List of Contributors THANK YOU!!!!   
1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board  

Welcome to the 1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board!!

We're glad you're here! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view lists of topics, our GT Registry articles & information and access some of our other FREE features. By joining our community, you will have access to read and post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board > General Tech > Maintenance, Troubleshooting and Diagnosis
Register FAQ Members List Referrals Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read
Info NEEDED!!REFERENCE GALLERY!!REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!!GT Registry StatsInfo By YearAbout Us

Maintenance, Troubleshooting and Diagnosis Need help? Having troubles with your GT? Need some maintenance tips? Ask your questions here.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:06 AM   #1
Augie88GT

Default Shocked at aftermarket parts

Hi folks,

In another thread, GT George mentioned that he had to replace his fuel pump. I had to replace mine in 2006. I'd like to tell my story here.

When my mechanic removed the old parts, both of us were shocked. I am the original owner of my car, so I knew that they were the original factory parts. The fuel pump was a Walbro, model #5520, mfd. 15988-1. The sender unit was part #E7ZF-9275-AA. The fuel filter was part #GF-510 (with "AC" in a circle). Does that mean it was a GM part? The rubber piece (seal?) was part #(upside-down triangle)E3EC-9B076-AA, MX13.

It appears that Ford put aftermarket (or third party) parts in my car at the factory. Why would Ford put Walbro and GM parts in my car? Could they have run out of parts? My car was built late in the model year (June 1988).
Old 02-08-2014, 12:03 PM   #2
GT George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie88GT
Hi folks,

In another thread, GT George mentioned that he had to replace his fuel pump. I had to replace mine in 2006. I'd like to tell my story here.

When my mechanic removed the old parts, both of us were shocked. I am the original owner of my car, so I knew that they were the original factory parts. The fuel pump was a Walbro, model #5520, mfd. 15988-1. The sender unit was part #E7ZF-9275-AA. The fuel filter was part #GF-510 (with "AC" in a circle). Does that mean it was a GM part? The rubber piece (seal?) was part #(upside-down triangle)E3EC-9B076-AA, MX13.

It appears that Ford put aftermarket (or third party) parts in my car at the factory. Why would Ford put Walbro and GM parts in my car? Could they have run out of parts? My car was built late in the model year (June 1988).
That's very interesting, the fuel pump I just replaced was the original to the car, it's a Ford part. My car is an 87 built 11/86.

That fuel filter number sure is an ACDelco number. It had to have been changed when you had the car serviced somewhere. My original fuel filter is long gone so I couldn't tell you what it was originally. The sender unit number you mentioned is a Ford number.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Original-Ford-fuel-pump-.jpg (245.2 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by GT George; 02-08-2014 at 12:26 PM..
GT George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:07 PM   #3
Blown88GT

Quote:
Because almost all the fuel pumps are made by Walbro. If Walbro puts a Ford part number on it, that's the way Ford wanted it. Ford may have run out of Ford marked pumps, so put Walbro marked ones in instead.

If the AC Delco part is less expensive, why would Ford care who made it? Many of the parts in your car were made in Japan, that's why they are Metric. Ford owned a large part of Mazda in 1988. Maybe you don't remember the Ford Probe fiasco? It almost became the Mustang.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Probe
ProCharger P600B, FRPP Headers, Flowmaster F2, 3G Alt, Mk8 Fan/DCC, 3.55's, Prog Springs, ST Brace, G/Trac Bar, Subfrms, UCA, LCA, FCA, Tokico 5-ways, C/C Plates, CSA 16x8, Bridgestone RE760 Sport 225/50R16, Megasquirt DIYPNPF60, LC2 wideband, C&L76mm MAF w/30's
Blown88GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:47 PM   #4
GT George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown88GT
Many of the parts in your car were made in Japan, that's why they are Metric.
What parts would those be?
GT George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:55 AM   #5
Augie88GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT George
That's very interesting, the fuel pump I just replaced was the original to the car, it's a Ford part. My car is an 87 built 11/86.

That fuel filter number sure is an ACDelco number. It had to have been changed when you had the car serviced somewhere. My original fuel filter is long gone so I couldn't tell you what it was originally. The sender unit number you mentioned is a Ford number.
Hi George,

To my knowledge, the fuel filter was never changed - unless it was done without my knowledge. But it is very unlikely.

In the early years of my car's existence, all of the servicing was done at Ford dealers - because it was still under warranty. Then, my car was taken off the road and put in storage in 1992. So, I don't know how an ACDelco part wound up on my car. If that part was added after my car left the factory, it was done by a Ford dealer.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:02 AM   #6
Augie88GT

Quote:
Because almost all the fuel pumps are made by Walbro. If Walbro puts a Ford part number on it, that's the way Ford wanted it. Ford may have run out of Ford marked pumps, so put Walbro marked ones in instead.
Hi Blown,

Thanks for that piece of info. That goes a long way toward solving this mystery.

So, apparently, even the fuel pumps that are marked "Ford" were made by Walbro.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:13 AM   #7
Augie88GT

Quote:
If the AC Delco part is less expensive, why would Ford care who made it? Many of the parts in your car were made in Japan, that's why they are Metric. Ford owned a large part of Mazda in 1988. Maybe you don't remember the Ford Probe fiasco? It almost became the Mustang.
I see your point. But wouldn't Ford have "pride in their brand"? It just seems very strange to me that Ford would use an ACDelco/GM part at the factory. Ford is famous for sub-contracting out parts for their cars. They have been doing that for decades. It's a way of cutting costs. I get it. Using an aftermarket part is one thing, but using a major competitor's part is something entirely different.

Yes, I remember the Ford-Mazda relationship in the 1980s. And yes, I remember the "Probe scare" - where the Ford Probe was supposed to be the 4th generation Mustang.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:29 PM   #8
Shakerhood

I know when I changed out the original O2 Sensors they were marked with both the Ford Oval and Bosch.
Shakerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:23 PM   #9
Blown88GT

Quote:
...But wouldn't Ford have "pride in their brand"?...
If the Fords would have let Mr. Petersen do it his way & they wouldn't. '87-'88 were were big shakeup in management when Henry Ford II died in '87.

BTW, NIH (Not Invented here) is never a good policy & will eventually put a good company out of business.
Blown88GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:25 PM   #10
bryant99

Some times its cheaper to out source the small stuff like fuel pumps and fuel filters