1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry - www.mustanggt.org
Dedicated to the documentation and preservation of
1982-1993 Mustang GT's
since 1994!!
Home | About Us | REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!! | GT Registry Statistics | Info By Year | Reference Gallery
Forums | Classifieds | Interactive Decoders | Production Numbers | GT Articles | Factory Literature | Info Needed | Donations
This message board and web site has been made possible through donations from: List of Contributors THANK YOU!!!!   
1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board  

Welcome to the 1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board!!

We're glad you're here! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view lists of topics, our GT Registry articles & information and access some of our other FREE features. By joining our community, you will have access to read and post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board > Restoration and Originality > Decoding
Register FAQ Members List Referrals Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read
Info NEEDED!!REFERENCE GALLERY!!REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!!GT Registry StatsInfo By YearAbout Us

Decoding Post your decoding questions here - VINs, door tags, axle tags, buildsheets, part numbers, etc.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:36 PM   #1
fb93
2010 Donating Member

Default Lost The Buck Tag!

My baby lost her dog tag. .

I was filling the radiator this morning and spilled a little onto the support. While wiping it off i noticed my buck tag is all but gone. There is a 1/4" strip of it still screwed to the support. I checked the entire driveway for the rest of it and found nothing. Its gone. It was intact back in 2002 as i copied the info for the registry. Thankfully, i still have those notes, but its just not the same as having the actual tag.

Does anyone reproduce Fox-body buck tags? Where they hand punched? If so, i could possibly make one, but i would need the size of the tag and what style the lettering was. Im still searching for leads, but no luck yet.
fb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:57 PM   #2
fb93
2010 Donating Member

Anyone?
Old 06-06-2010, 05:24 PM   #3
Jerry: BLACK 85 GT h/b
Ambassador
2009 Donating Member

I don't know of anyone who reproduces them, sorry. As far as the size and lettering style (font), I guess someone who still has theirs could answer. Or you could look in the Reference Gallery for pics.

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. Thomas Jefferson
“The best government is that which governs least.”
variously attributed

A/R "Swirl" wheels
FRPP clutch/flywheel
subframe connectors
BBK catted H-Pipe
Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust
Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold

Click HERE to REGISTER YOUR GT!
Jerry: BLACK 85 GT h/b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:57 PM   #4
m80j
2009 Donating Member

As a welder/fabricator I'll tell you this thing won't be hard to reproduce.You can use any stamp type you want as there were allot of different fonts.I will see if I can get a measurement and the material gauge for you.When you stamp it just put it on some hard wood to get the proper depth with the stamp.I will go check the car now.
m80j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:19 PM   #5
Jerry: BLACK 85 GT h/b
Ambassador
2009 Donating Member

"Ask and ye shall receive"!

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. Thomas Jefferson
“The best government is that which governs least.”
variously attributed

A/R "Swirl" wheels
FRPP clutch/flywheel
subframe connectors
BBK catted H-Pipe
Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust
Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold

Click HERE to REGISTER YOUR GT!
Jerry: BLACK 85 GT h/b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:20 PM   #6
m80j
2009 Donating Member

3 1/2" long and 1 3/4" wide 20ga and the letters are 1/4" tall with a stamp depth of about 1/32".

Last edited by m80j; 06-06-2010 at 07:24 PM..
Old 06-06-2010, 11:46 PM   #7
fb93
2010 Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m80j
3 1/2" long and 1 3/4" wide 20ga and the letters are 1/4" tall with a stamp depth of about 1/32".
Many thanks, Those measurements are exactly what i needed!

I did find a tag in the reference gallery i can use as a sample. The font looks dead on to what i remember having, but what that font is called i have no clue. Finding the correct stamps (font and size) will probably be the hard part. Keeping all the letters straight and level is another matter.

Ill let you know what i come up with. Thanks again .
Old 06-07-2010, 03:05 AM   #8
m80j
2009 Donating Member

To keep the numbers straight and uniform first divide the 1 1/2" tag height by two.So you have 3/4 " which is the center mark for your new tag once it's cut.Make your marks at both ends of the tag and join the two marks with a line using a strait edge.Now you have a straight line running through the center of the tags length.Now divide 3/4" by three so that's 1/4".Now measure off of your center line in 1/4" increments.That should give you a total of five even lines.That means you now have the six even spaces in which to stamp your characters. Don't use a pencil to make the marks as you will not be able to paint over it.Try to use something water soluble to mark with.

Easy stuff.Let me now how it goes for you.