1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry - www.mustanggt.org
Dedicated to the documentation and preservation of
1982-1993 Mustang GT's
since 1994!!
Home | About Us | REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!! | GT Registry Statistics | Info By Year | Reference Gallery
Forums | Classifieds | Interactive Decoders | Production Numbers | GT Articles | Factory Literature | Info Needed | Donations
This message board and web site has been made possible through donations from: List of Contributors THANK YOU!!!!   
1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board  

Welcome to the 1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board!!

We're glad you're here! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view lists of topics, our GT Registry articles & information and access some of our other FREE features. By joining our community, you will have access to read and post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board > Our Archives > FAQ
Register FAQ Members List Referrals Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read
Info NEEDED!!REFERENCE GALLERY!!REGISTER your 1982-1993 Mustang GT!!GT Registry StatsInfo By YearAbout Us

FAQ Collection of frequently asked questions.

Old 07-09-2002, 04:46 PM   #1
harrygt

I want to change the Throttle Body on my 90 GT. I would like to go to a 70mm and am wondering if it is too large for the stock intake? Also am I gaining anything by upgrading?
Old 07-09-2002, 05:24 PM   #2
geo_geer

A 65mm is LOTS for a stock/mild setup. You should only go for 70mm when you get into power adders (Nitrous, Forced Induction). If you have a stock engine and the only thing you change is the TB, you won't see much gain.
Old 07-09-2002, 08:56 PM   #3
Goodson

If you upgrade to that on a stock engine you won't notice much if any improvements. On a stock car you need to go with nothing larger than 65mm. The 70 is waaaaaaayy to big for a stock motor. If your car is stock, by that I mean.. from intake silencer to tailpipe, you will not notice much of a gain from the 65mm throttle body. To get the full effect of this part you will need to change exhaust components, air meter, and EGR spacer. If you have done some of the aforementioned mods you might notice a little difference.
Old 07-10-2002, 11:50 AM   #4
harrygt

Thanks for the information. It seems as if air flow is not as simple as, more is better. I’ll go with the 65mm. I have removed the air silencer and have 2 chamber Flowmaster mufflers. If I go to a new Mass Air Meter what size should it be?
Old 07-11-2002, 02:36 AM   #5
Goodson

Probably a 73mm. I have a 76mm C&L and am happy with it. Had I bought it new instead of used, I would have gotten the 73. But the 76 came along at such a good price. My car has equal length headers, off road h-pipe, underdrive pullies, and 2 1/4 flowmasters. Other than that it is stock. With the meter question you pose I really suggest you looking at cars with similar mods as yours and see what works best. I noticed a good bit of difference in my car from the stock meter to the 76. It runs better down low and winds out smoother in the upper rpm band.
Old 07-11-2002, 11:22 AM   #6
harrygt

Thanks again.