1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board

1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry Message Board (http://www.mustanggt.org/forums/index.php)
-   Maintenance, Troubleshooting and Diagnosis (http://www.mustanggt.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Understanding the Acronyms (http://www.mustanggt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43705)

Capri GT 05-18-2006 06:30 PM

Understanding the Acronyms

In response to the acronym suggestion I decided to start a thread about acronyms we run across while trying to diagnose our cars. We should probably limit them to the ones that apply to the cars falling under the scope of the site. Lets try to keep this on topic and avoid any unneccesary banter.

I'll list a few and hopefully some of the gurus can explain what they stand for. (in a language we can all understand)

S.E.F.I.

EEC-IV

AOD

TAB

TAD

AC

TPS

HEGO

VSS

TFI

MAP

MAF

SD

Whtstang 05-18-2006 08:49 PM

Sefi

I'll start the ball rolling with the first one.

SEquential Fuel Injection: A mulipoint fuel delivery system where a fuel injector delivers fuel to one cylinder at a time in sequence with the firing order.

slickshift 05-18-2006 10:25 PM

EEC-IV
Electronic Engine Control - Fourth Generation
Ford's name for their electronic engine control
IV or Fourth generation first appeared in 1983

88gtconvert 05-19-2006 08:08 AM

Oo - oo, I can take the next one!

AOD = Automatic OverDrive

Ford's three speed automatic transmission with an overdrive working as a fourth speed...

KS 82 GT 05-19-2006 11:13 AM

It's not on the list, but since the last one was a transmission, I'll do another:

SROD: Single Rail OverDrive

It's the four-speed transmission found in '82 GT's as well as the early '83's. Fourth is an overdrive and there is a large gap in the gearing between second and third which makes speeds around 30-40 MPH difficult to get the right gear. It really isn't up to heavy duty applications as many people found out with the HO motor, especially when racing them. Ford changed over to the T-5 in December '82, which probably shows how bad it was. The bellhousing on these are sought after since it's a direct bolt on for use with a Tremac transmission.

Personally, I think it should stand for Scattered Remains On Driveway (or Dragstrip) :biggrin:

Bossnutt 05-19-2006 01:54 PM

ooooo my turn

TPS= Throttle Positioning Sensor

I know what it means, but I don't remember EXACTLY what it does. They are in 87-93 mustangs.

89GT 05-19-2006 02:29 PM

TAB- Thermactor Air Bypass
TAD- Thermactor Air Diverter - Are solenoids that control the air from the smog pump to either the engine or to the Catylitic Converters which is controlled by the Computer

AC- Air conditioning - Keeps us cool in our Stangs, especially to the lower southern states. :)

mmb617 05-19-2006 05:00 PM

Well I'm a carb guy, but from what I understand:

SD = speed density

MAF = mass air flow

These are two different systems for sensing how much air the engine is using, so that the computer can deliver the appropriate amount of fuel.

Capri GT 05-19-2006 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bossnutt
ooooo my turn

TPS= Throttle Positioning Sensor

I know what it means, but I don't remember EXACTLY what it does. They are in 87-93 mustangs.

Throttle position sensor is completely self explanatory. It's a sensor mounted on the TB (throttle body) that senses the positon of the throttle blade

Whtstang 05-19-2006 07:50 PM

Since Speed Density has been taken I will try to explain MAP since SD & MAP go together.

[M]anifold [A]bsolute [P]ressure sensor. In SD engines, the MAP sensor measures intake manifold pressure, converts it to a frequency & sends this signal to the computer. The computer uses this information to help determine engine load. Engine load is what determines how much fuel must be metered into each cylinder. The sensor is usually mounted to the firewall or an inner wheel well in order to isolate it from engine vibrations. It has a vacuum line connected to it that comes from the intake manifold.

sts90 05-20-2006 08:20 AM

Hego

I'll chime in;
HEGO: Heated Exhaust Gas Oxygen sensor. Commonly referred to as the Oxygen Sensor.

Steve

Bill_Laird's86GT 05-20-2006 08:29 AM

TFI= Thick Film Ignition

Distributor mounted module comprised of a custom integrated circuit, Darlington output device and associated thick film integrated components.

If it dies or starts to go out, it will cause driveability problems. Pretty much if it goes, you'll be waiting for it to cool so you can drive the car or wait on the side of the road for a lift.

Bill

Whtstang 05-20-2006 05:12 PM

PIP: Profile Ignition Pickup.

Located inside the dist bowl. This device lets the computor know which cylinder is next in line to open it's intake valve & also what RPM the engine is turning.

93 LX 5.0 05-21-2006 07:19 PM

Egr

ill list a few

EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculation

VC = Valve Cover

ACV = Air Check Valve

CAI = Cold Air Induction

IAC = Idle Air Control

IAB = Idle Air Bypass

EddieLX 06-08-2006 06:46 AM

OEM Original Equipment Manufacturer